Seabourn cruiser tries Silversea

CLOU

I choose my cruises between Silversea and Seabourn. I base my decision on itinerary, timing and price. There are differences between Silversea and Seabourn and probably the latter is our preferred line. However, for me the differences are not enough to rule out one or the other and I am yet to have a cruise I regretted on either.

• 1 year later...
I will be glad to. We have 27 cruises with Crystal and many other lines as well but not yet Seabourn but we hope to find the right cruise for us on this line.

Crystal has consistent service in all areas and you will never hear the word no from anyone. The food is excellent and most of the time rates above land based restaurants. The standard cabins are small but well laid out. We do stay in the butler suites. Attention to detail is paramount to Crystal. Enrichments programs are great, the shows are extremely professional, the space of the public areas makes you feel like you are on a private yacht even when the ship is near full capacity. The crew to passenger ratio is almost 1:1. We have been sailing Crystal since the first year of the Harmony.

Crystal right now is expanding their brand to to river cruises and yachts as well as air and two more luxury ocean liners about the same size as the Symphony and Serenity....this is two to three years out. Time will tell.

We have heard from several Seabourn people that cruise Crystal as well and love both lines and have encouraged us to give Seabourn a try including our TA. I have heard we don't need a butler on SB...we just need a larger cabin or my partner and I will kill each other.:eek:

We were afraid to try one of the triplets because we thought that would be too intimate for us but the new Seabourn ships seem to be the perfect size. The smoking issue has kind of held us back as well and I am a reformed smoker. I think that will be fixed but really is not a deal breaker for us. I will just avoid the temptation. Give me caviar and a nice red wine and I will be happy. Not sure about TK family style dining but heck we would give it a try.

Sorry, I am all over the map with my reply. Seabourn does seem like a close fit for us. We tried Rgent five times and simply did not meet or exceed our expectations. Our next cruise is on the Serenity for our third visit to Antartica and after that we will be looking for a Seabourn test cruise.

I hope you don’t have the caviar and the red wine at the same time.:)

With respect, that is your personal opinion - one not shared by myself or many others I know.

I think this may be like coriander. There is a small percentage of the population that find the taste of any food with coriander in it terribly vile. It is a genetic issue I think.

There are also people who recoil from red wine being drunk with sea food. Their taste buds react negatively to the tannins of the wine mixing with fish, caviar, oysters or crustaceans.

The number of people with that aversion must have been quite substantial, because over the years a general rule seems to be that seafood and red wine don’t mix. This then turned into one of those things that those who were U didn’t do.

There’s that great scene in From Russia with Love where James Bond realises that a chap was not a real English gentleman because he drank red wine with fish.

That of course is silly. But for those us who dislike the combination the taste is quite vile, so we are very keen to suggest that it is a bad idea.

Champagne is very good with caviar, as is vodka.

I think this may be like coriander. There is a small percentage of the population that find the taste of any food with coriander in it terribly vile. It is a genetic issue I think.

There are also people who recoil from red wine being drunk with sea food. Their taste buds react negatively to the tannins of the wine mixing with fish, caviar, oysters or crustaceans.

The number of people with that aversion must have been quite substantial, because over the years a general rule seems to be that seafood and red wine don’t mix. This then turned into one of those things that those who were U didn’t do.

There’s that great scene in From Russia with Love where James Bond realises that a chap was not a real English gentleman because he drank red wine with fish.

That of course is silly. But for those us who dislike the combination the taste is quite vile, so we are very keen to suggest that it is a bad idea.

Champagne is very good with caviar, as is vodka.

None if which has anything to do with Seabourn or any other cruise line. I am sure there are plenty of blogs and boards where one can discuss what wine to drink with what food. Would you go on one of those and talk bout the suites on Seabourn?

None if which has anything to do with Seabourn or any other cruise line. I am sure there are plenty of blogs and boards where one can discuss what wine to drink with what food. Would you go on one of those and talk bout the suites on Seabourn?

Conversations go where they will.

There are only so many things you can say about the suites of Seabourn.

Broaden your approach to life. You’ll have a lot more fun.

Conversations go where they will.

There are only so many things you can say about the suites of Seabourn.

Broaden your approach to life. You’ll have a lot more fun.

Couldn't agree more. Especially when it comes to dress codes!