Boards Scheduled Time Outs for Daily Maintenance

Host Walt

For your information, the Cruise Critic boards are subject to necessary daily data base maintenance time outs that can take a few minutes to an hour. The usual time for the time out is about 3:00am Eastern (US) time which is 8:00am GMT and 6:00pm Eastern (Aus) time.

Adjust accordingly for daylight savings time and/or BST.

During that time you may have difficulty accessing the boards. The difficulty can be manifested by slow access to no access at all.

Walt, recently (past two or three weeks) it's been happening an hour earlier ie 7am GMT. Doesn't make much difference here, but might be an issue for those trying to get their late fix in your part of the world.

Phil

You mean like me? :rolleyes:

The maintenance is essential, and there is really no "good" time because Cruise Critic is international in scope.

BST (British Summer Time) is GMT +1, so that 7am GMT is 8am London time and 12 Midnight in LA.

Yep, realise no time is a good time. It has to be done. I just wanted to point out that it is now 7am GMT not 8 and knowing that the majority of posters are from the US this hour earlier may just catch more people out. At least at the moment I can concentrate on my breakfast and look forward to having these boards to peruse with my cup of tea when I've finished it;)

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
For your information, the Cruise Critic boards are subject to necessary daily data base maintenance time outs that can take a few minutes to an hour. The usual time for the time out is about 3:00am Eastern (US) time which is 8:00am GMT and 6:00pm Eastern (Aus) time.

Adjust accordingly for daylight savings time and/or BST.

During that time you may have difficulty accessing the boards. The difficulty can be manifested by slow access to no access at all.

Host Walt,

Finnally, someone in the know tells us what is happening. There is a recent thread asking in general what goes on at this time. My contribution was http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20066636&postcount=8.

I believe everyone understands maintenance requirements. The problem and frustration has been that nowhere, until your post, was there anything said by CC that there was maintenance at about 3:00 EST or thereabouts. It would be very beneficial if CC IT people would insert a "pop-up" message which would be displayed when maintenance starts. If this is too involved in system design, then simply have the pop-up appear at 2:00 and for some time after. Of course, make sure that the pop-up can be closed by the user.

These, until now, unknown maintenance times have been extremely frustrating , especially to a "two finger" typist like me when I lose an entire post in preparation.

Thanks again for your post. I see that you have also posted this on the HAL site. I do not know how many others.

Bob :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Could you consider ROTATING the scheduled maintenance times?

I am someone who has the outage at the exact time I like to browse the forums and it would be nice if the inconvinience were shared a bit more with the rest of the world.:mad:

My suggestion is to do your maintenance every 25 hours so that the outage doesn't impact the same people each and every day.

• 9 months later...

How long is the maintenance meant to take? I find it really frustrating when I still get on at 10am UK time, what is the maintenance and is it really necessary every day? Yes, I know, I spend too much time on this already!

• 1 month later...
How long is the maintenance meant to take? I find it really frustrating when I still get on at 10am UK time, what is the maintenance and is it really necessary every day? Yes, I know, I spend too much time on this already!

Today, it has been ESPECIALLY BAD all day here in the US of A! Wassup wi dat?

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hopefully, you're still working on the boards because a few times in the past three days, I've been able to read the index, but when I click on a specific thread, my system just sits with the spinning globe. It happened again today.

We've been having these types of problems for months now.....perhaps it's time for you to consider using another vendor/provider or software house.

Thanks Walt, this explains a lot, and at least I do not have to throw away my computer now .:D And to think I have been hammering the poor old thing and it was not it's fault. ;) !!

Too cute...I can see you have a great personality!!! I just imagine you'd be grat on a cruise!!!

Archived