coming back from Cemetery Beach???

familycruzer

I know I can easily get a taxi to Cemetery Beach but what about coming back?

Is there a way to arrange a taxi for pick up?

Do we walk further down the beach toward George Town to catch a taxi?

Is there a place near the beach to call a taxi for us?

Catching a bus would be much easier. Just walk to the other side of the road and flag down any passing bus. They will take you to the bus depot next to the George Town library for US$2.50 per person. The library is only two blocks off the waterfront in George Town.

Does anyone know how far the Wreck of Gamma is from Cemetary Beach? We want to snorkel at both sites and didn't know if we could walk between the two or if we needed to take the bus. We are hoping to do Captain Marvin's short excursion....still trying to figure out how to get from the Marina to Hell....then from Hell to Cemetary Beach. Can we take the bus from Hell to Cemetary Beach?

What is wreck of Gamma?

The Wreck of the Gamma is an old freighter that crashed against the shoreline. The wreck is visible from shore but unfortunately it is crumbling from rust damage. The wreck actually sits sticking out of the water so the snorkeling is conducted "around" the wreck rather that "over" the wreck.

Gamma4_small1.JPG

Yes you can take a bus from the port to Cemetary beach or take the bus to hell and back! The bus is great on this island.
We're going to give the bus a try.

The wreck of the Gamma is at the Pageant beach section (southernmost end) of Seven Mile Beach. Cemetery Beach is near the northernmost end of Seven Mile Beach. It is about 5 miles between the two locations... too far to walk.

The wreck of the Gamma is at the Pageant beach section (southernmost end) of Seven Mile Beach. Cemetery Beach is near the northernmost end of Seven Mile Beach. It is about 5 miles between the two locations... too far to walk.

Thanks for the info! Just what I needed. We will plan to take the bus between the two.

One more question...How far are Hell and Cemetary Beach apart from each other? Hell is inland, correct?

Who knew it was so hard to get to hell... We don't want to stay long, but we would at least like to see what it's like. Someone indicated on a different thread that they didn't know if the bus would take us to Hell. I already know that a taxi won't take us there. So we might not be able to see Hell, because we are not doing an island tour. We will just visit Stingray city, then snorkel at cemetery beach and at the wreck of gamma.

It sounds like you have plenty to do! We spent a week there and we had a rental car so we did take the time to go to Hell and mail some postcards home. What we didn't realize was that the postcards would not arrive until we had been home for over a week. I probably wouldn't have taken the time to go there if I had realized the delay. It is an interesting thing to see but I wouldn't put a lot of effort into going there.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

It sounds like you have plenty to do! We spent a week there and we had a rental car so we did take the time to go to Hell and mail some postcards home. What we didn't realize was that the postcards would not arrive until we had been home for over a week. I probably wouldn't have taken the time to go there if I had realized the delay. It is an interesting thing to see but I wouldn't put a lot of effort into going there. I hope this helps! Enjoy!

It helps alot. We just thought since we were there we would stop by, see it, and like you did mail some postcards. Oh well, it's not a big thing...we really want to do the stingrays this time and then snorkel, hopefully at both Cemetery Beach and the Wreck of Gamma. We snorkeled Eden's Rock and the wreck of Cali last time we were in there. Are there shade trees near by? My mom doesn't snorkel...she just wants to sit on the beach and read a book. Do we need a life vest and/or fins to help get us out to the reef? I really appreciate you sharing your info.

There is a lot of shade at cemetary beach. We really liked it there even though we didn't have a lot of time there. Fins and a vest would make snorkeling at cemetery much easier. We didn't have them and it was much more difficult.

Enjoy!

Yes, you can take the bus out to Hell. We have done it. Just ask the driver to let you know when your are near there.

Thank You! Thank You! I thought there has to be some way to get to Hell...LOL! We just want to visit, we don't want to stay forever. :eek: Some of our friends would love to get a postcard from Hell!! We will certainly give it a try since we are going to take the bus to a couple of places on seven mile beach (Cemetery and Pageant).

There is a lot of shade at cemetary beach. We really liked it there even though we didn't have a lot of time there. Fins and a vest would make snorkeling at cemetery much easier. We didn't have them and it was much more difficult. Enjoy!

With everything we want to try and do, we won't have too much time to spend there either. I'm sure we will love it and I can't wait to take lots of pictures. We will definitely bring our fins and we will see about renting vests.

Thanks again for all the great info!! :D

Archived