Epic Spa Stateroom -- Language Change?

• Administrators

Hi, all!

Because of another thread today I was looking again at what is included in spa-level accommodations on the Epic (suite, deluxe balcony, balcony). I do believe NCL has changed their language on the website about this.

On the Epic site it used to state explicitly that these spa staterooms received 24 hour access to the thermal suite. That appears to be gone now. Now it says "private keycard entrance to the stateroom area" (doesn't everyone have that?)

When I did a mock booking for our sailing in April of 2011 at ncl.com, the cabin description now doesn't mention 24 hour access to the thermal suite either -- it says "entry to the Mandara Spa experience," (which is not defined anywhere and so could include anything, or nothing). For the Spa Deluxe Balcony it says : "This is where stress and muscle aches instantly disappear. You'll receive private key card access to the spa stateroom complex, entry to the Mandara Spa experience and the fitness center. With soothing spa décor, curved walls, sitting area, private balcony, luxury bath and shower and two lower beds that convert to a queen these three-guest staterooms have it all," then a bit later it adds "Only on Norwegian Epic will you have the opportunity to experience all the Spa Deluxe Balcony Staterooms have to offer. With private key card access to the Spa Stateroom complex, these exceptional spa décor accommodations provide a relaxing sitting area so you can enjoy your private balcony."

With some of NCL's other recent ill-considered changes (bar set ups, all suites with courtyard access, etc) I'm starting to wonder if they are going to change what's actually included with the spa level staterooms to a "spa decor" package that excludes actual spa facilities.

I'm not changing our booking (for now) but I'll be watching to see what other little tweaks and wording games NCL plays with this. I'd thought it was supposed to be competitive with Carnival's spa cabins on the Splendor and Dream, but not if it doesn't include access to the thermal facililities. Anyone else have any insight about it?

Hi, all!

I'm not changing our booking (for now) but I'll be watching to see what other little tweaks and wording games NCL plays with this. I'd thought it was supposed to be competitive with Carnival's spa cabins on the Splendor and Dream, but not if it doesn't include access to the thermal facililities. Anyone else have any insight about it?

Well, MichellP - I am with you! I have a Spa Suite booked as well - and thankfully there are several sailings before final payment is due. I will have no problem changing my booking if it isn't everything it appeared to be when I booked. That said, I also understand that since this ship isn't even built yet - anything can happen between now and then. This is just a waiting game!

But - how exciting it is! lol :D

You shall get what you pay for so everything they offer when you book, you shall also get!

Print all information you can get and also mail to NCL and ask what's included. Everything you have printed information about from when you booked the cruise, you shall get! If you don't get everything they have promised and you can prove that they have promised it by the time you booked the cruise, you are entitled to some kind of compensation!

I think the only thing that seems to really changed is "24 hour access" to the thermal spa. I always wondered about that since the spa normally closes at 10 pm. They are not going to let passengers in there without it being staffed. I can't imagine them adding staff to cover the middle of the night for the one or two passengers that might show up at 2 am.

I think the only thing that seems to really changed is "24 hour access" to the thermal spa. I always wondered about that since the spa normally closes at 10 pm. They are not going to let passengers in there without it being staffed. I can't imagine them adding staff to cover the middle of the night for the one or two passengers that might show up at 2 am.

That was supposed to be the advantage of "keycard access"....being able to get in 24 hrs / day, whereas the rest of the ship would clear-out at 10pm.

With your keycard, you could have unfettered access....otherwise, why not just say.... "Features same as AC Suite, plus hot tub in room, and Spa Pass?"

"Features same as AC Suite, plus hot tub in room, and Spa Pass?"

That is what it is. The price delta reflects exactly the addition of the spa pass. The difference you don't have to check in, you have your own keycard access entrance, and you can not be denied a pass when the max are sold.

Don't get me wrong 24 hour access if it is gone is a big deal. My comment was that is the one thing that is consistently gone from all new language.

That is what it is. The price delta reflects exactly the addition of the spa pass. The difference you don't have to check in, you have your own keycard access entrance, and you can not be denied a pass when the max are sold.

Don't get me wrong 24 hour access if it is gone is a big deal. My comment was that is the one thing that is consistently gone from all new language.

I've just written to NCL, asking for a definitive response to this change, and to clarify this and a couple of other outstanding questions.

I'll post the reply when I receive it.

Stephen

I hear what ya’ll are saying. When we booked it also stated that we had access to the Courtyard area. We had originally booked an aft Penthouse but changed to the Spa suite since we were going to buy spa passes. When I changed I asked the PCC about the access to the Courtyard and she stated that we would get it and it also said that on the website. This information has also been removed when you click on more information about the Spa suite. So I called her back to inquire about it and she had to ask a few managers about it and she says the website is having some issues and when you click on the more info button it is giving you the Spa Deluxe and the Spa Balcony description.

With all that said when I look at the deck plans on http://www.epic.ncl.com and click on one of the Spa Suites it tells me that the Spa Stateroom’s guests have private keycard access to the stateroom area in addition to private 24-hour access to the Thermal Spa Suites. So what does the word SUITES mean? We are staying in a Spa Suite which is a room so what do they mean by “24-hour access to the Thermal Spa Suites”. I again asked my PCC and she read out of her “cookbook” the description of the “Thermal Spa Suites”, which includes the “multi-treatment pool, heated rock loungers and more” so they are using the word “SUITES” as the Spa area.

So it looks like we still have access to the Spa all day which is why we got the room. I told my PCC that if that is the case I will never have my wife in the room she will live in the Spa all day and night.

• 3 weeks later...

So I asked my PCC who sent me this:

You both have access to therapy pool, jacuzzis, thermal lounger, saunas 24 hours a day with the keycard to enter without any signing in or payments. Great for use after entering the ship to relax from airport headaches, taxi drivers, etc. Enjoy your champagne, get lunch & then go relax.

Not sure if stateroom will have a access since we are across from the spa (39 units). I am guessing it is one of the first to be done. Guess we will know when folks use it & write here about it.

Here is what is psoted on NCL site:

EPIC EXCLUSIVE

Only on Norwegian Epic will you have the opportunity to experience all the Spa Balcony Staterooms have to offer. These exclusive accommodations are hidden within the private key card access Spa Stateroom complex. Providing your own sitting area and private balcony, not to mention spacious accommodations, within your stateroom is only the beginning. This experience comes complete with entry to the Mandara Spa experience and fitness center. Imagine the possibilities when you treat yourself for a week.

I've just written to NCL, asking for a definitive response to this change, and to clarify this and a couple of other outstanding questions.

Stephen

So I asked my PCC who sent me this:

You both have access to therapy pool, jacuzzis, thermal lounger, saunas 24 hours a day with the keycard to enter without any signing in or payments. Great for use after entering the ship to relax from airport headaches, taxi drivers, etc. Enjoy your champagne, get lunch & then go relax.

Not sure if stateroom will have a access since we are across from the spa (39 units). I am guessing it is one of the first to be done. Guess we will know when folks use it & write here about it.

Here is what is psoted on NCL site:

EPIC EXCLUSIVE

Only on Norwegian Epic will you have the opportunity to experience all the Spa Balcony Staterooms have to offer. These exclusive accommodations are hidden within the private key card access Spa Stateroom complex. Providing your own sitting area and private balcony, not to mention spacious accommodations, within your stateroom is only the beginning. This experience comes complete with entry to the Mandara Spa experience and fitness center. Imagine the possibilities when you treat yourself for a week.

Sorry....here's what they said:

"

Question #2: The spa suites will include keycard access to the thermal suite/fitness center. The exact hours that the thermal suite will be open is still being determined, but these suites surround the spa, so the main feature is that you are in very close proximity to both the spa and fitness center.

Spa suites will have access as well to The Villas area (courtyard complex on Deck 14) which includes daily VIP breakfast and lunch in The Epic Club which is the Courtyard restaurant. Access to the Epic Club for non-suite guests has not yet been determined/finalized.

A spa suite (SA) is similar to a Courtyard Penthouse (A4) in terms of layout. The main difference is that the spa suite has the in-suite whirlpool tub and is located adjacent to the spa. The Courtyard Penthouse is located in The Villas which gives close proximity to the amenities of the Courtyard area."

• 2 weeks later...

She just sent me a precise answer: Exclusive key card entry to the Mandara Spa experience and fitness center, as well as complimentary 24-hour access to the Thermal Spa Suites, which gives you thermal stone loungers, the Thalassotherapy Poll & Sauna.

Hi, all!

Because of another thread today I was looking again at what is included in spa-level accommodations on the Epic (suite, deluxe balcony, balcony). I do believe NCL has changed their language on the website about this.

On the Epic site it used to state explicitly that these spa staterooms received 24 hour access to the thermal suite. That appears to be gone now. Now it says "private keycard entrance to the stateroom area" (doesn't everyone have that?)

When I did a mock booking for our sailing in April of 2011 at ncl.com, the cabin description now doesn't mention 24 hour access to the thermal suite either -- it says "entry to the Mandara Spa experience," (which is not defined anywhere and so could include anything, or nothing). For the Spa Deluxe Balcony it says : "This is where stress and muscle aches instantly disappear. You'll receive private key card access to the spa stateroom complex, entry to the Mandara Spa experience and the fitness center. With soothing spa décor, curved walls, sitting area, private balcony, luxury bath and shower and two lower beds that convert to a queen these three-guest staterooms have it all," then a bit later it adds "Only on Norwegian Epic will you have the opportunity to experience all the Spa Deluxe Balcony Staterooms have to offer. With private key card access to the Spa Stateroom complex, these exceptional spa décor accommodations provide a relaxing sitting area so you can enjoy your private balcony."

With some of NCL's other recent ill-considered changes (bar set ups, all suites with courtyard access, etc) I'm starting to wonder if they are going to change what's actually included with the spa level staterooms to a "spa decor" package that excludes actual spa facilities.

Being new to this, We have a sd 14161? I think. This is back by the elevators. Can someone tell me if we get the same as the spa suite. I believe these are called spa deluxe bal.

I think you answered your own question....but no, the deluxe balcony is not the same as a Suite.

The Suite comes with a butler / concierge service, access to the Courtyard, VIP treatment, etc.

The deluxe balcony does not.

The Mandera Spa is the Spa Suite that we have keys too use 24/7. I have a Spa Balcony, You are Deluxe Spa Balcony & then there are Spa Suites which have the Courtyard area to enjoy.

As your description states: Spa Deluxe Balcony Stateroom

With soothing spa décor, this two-guest stateroom has it all. Sitting area, private balcony, luxury bath and shower and two lower beds that can convert to a queen. Plus, your clients will gain private key card entry to the Mandara Spa experience and the fitness center, as well as complimentary 24-hour access to the Thermal Spa Suites.

This is the same as my description for a Spa Balcony since I have a tub/shower also. So not too sure what DELUXE is. Per my PCC a Deluxe Balcony is called a MINI SUITE on other ships. It is a balcony not a suite.

Being new to this, We have a sd 14161? I think. This is back by the elevators. Can someone tell me if we get the same as the spa suite. I believe these are called spa deluxe bal.

I have booked an AC on the EPIC for July 17th 2010.

NCL website says access to courtyard, Epic club and concierge lounge. The Website posted on this thread doesn't mention any of the above.

I don't like it! Which one do I believe?

On NCL website...

PRIVACY WITHOUT PARALLEL.

The Villas is the biggest suite complex at sea and includes an array of Suites and Villas on two private decks at the top of the ship. Hidden away and accessible only by private elevator, the secluded Courtyard Area boasts a private pool, two hot tubs, gym, saunas, sundeck, indoor/outdoor dining and a bar/nightclub. And, of course, the butler and concierge are there to cater to your every whim.

Courtyard Villa

• Sleeps up to 6 guests

• 46 available

• Access to Concierge Lounge

• Combined living and dining area

• Two luxurious bathrooms with separate shower

• Queen-size bed

• Additional children’s bedroom

• Exclusive access to Courtyard Area

• Exclusive access to The Epic Club (dining)

Courtyard Penthouse and Penthouse*

• Sleeps 2 guests

• 6 Courtyard Penthouses available in The Villas complex

• 7 Penthouses available on aft decks 10-13*

• Living and dining area

• Luxurious bathroom with separate shower

*Not part of The Villas complex

From Website on this thread...

PENThOuSE

who doesn’t want to stay in the Penthouse? with a maximum capacity of two, there’s plenty of room to spread out.

The butler can serve your clients dinner out on the private balcony or if they prefer, they can ask the concierge to

make dinner reservations for them. They can also relax in the living area or lounge around in the separate bedroom

complete with queen-size bed

who has posted photos of the ship & interior as of this week. CC was invited to tour new ship building areas so we got a great view of Epic. They gave him no access to the stateroom area since nothing has been slid in as yet. But he got to go to the place that builds the staterooms that are inserted to the body of the ship, then the electricians & plumbers get everything connected for the test sailing with the builders to be sure everything works 100% which should be by January 2010. They told him the Miami sailings will start in July 2010. Also sounds like the Captain of Dawn will be Captain of Epic.

So I sent an email to him asking about the SPA staterooms. I have Spa Balcony which sounds just like the deluxe spa balcony. The Spa Suite, who is to have total access to the Courtyard area. I am guessing those folks paying $13K a week are not to happy with addtional folks being added to their area. I visited the Spa area and see photos of the Spa Suite & Spa Balconies which are identical. It shows a circular bed with a jacuzzi at the right foot area by the glass next to the balcony door. The description states a bath & shower, so it is the tub like the mini suite? or the jacuzzi as shown.

The the description has the 24 access to the spa suite dropped, which we fear that we will not be getting the total spa experience that is so relaxing. So I want the truth about these Spa staterooms & what we get.

He states the movie screen of the H20 will have family movies shown before the club opens. He also added an admission fee to the club.

Stephen

I have booked an AC on the EPIC for July 17th 2010.

NCL website says access to courtyard, Epic club and concierge lounge. The Website posted on this thread doesn't mention any of the above.

I don't like it! Which one do I believe?

On NCL website...

PRIVACY WITHOUT PARALLEL.

The Villas is the biggest suite complex at sea and includes an array of Suites and Villas on two private decks at the top of the ship. Hidden away and accessible only by private elevator, the secluded Courtyard Area boasts a private pool, two hot tubs, gym, saunas, sundeck, indoor/outdoor dining and a bar/nightclub. And, of course, the butler and concierge are there to cater to your every whim.

Courtyard Villa

• Sleeps up to 6 guests

• 46 available

• Combined living and dining area

• Two luxurious bathrooms with separate shower

• Queen-size bed

• Additional children’s bedroom

Courtyard Penthouse and Penthouse*

• Sleeps 2 guests

• 6 Courtyard Penthouses available in The Villas complex

• 7 Penthouses available on aft decks 10-13*

• Living and dining area

• Luxurious bathroom with separate shower

*Not part of The Villas complex

From Website on this thread...

PENThOuSE

who doesn’t want to stay in the Penthouse? with a maximum capacity of two, there’s plenty of room to spread out.

The butler can serve your clients dinner out on the private balcony or if they prefer, they can ask the concierge to

make dinner reservations for them. They can also relax in the living area or lounge around in the separate bedroom

complete with queen-size bed

Print the information from the website and bring it on the cruise. If they say that you don't have access to the places you mentioned, show them the information from their website and I see no way they can refuse access.

Hi, we have booked also, and another thing that looks interesting that no one has any info on yet is...

When you look at the deck plans, since the exterior of the ship bascially about three bulges on the sides where the cabins are, (according to the diagram) many of the basic balcony cabins appear to have larger balconies due to the angles and curves of those bulges. I booked one of those and I'm hoping that's the case. These balcony rooms are pretty small, 151 sq. ft., so a few extra feet of balcony would be nice!

Archived