Iguazzu Falls Tours

Lets go already!

We will be in Iguazzu Falls 2/15-2/17. We are US citizens and do not have a Brazillian Visa so we are limited to the Argentienen side of the falls. Has anyone suggestions on the best excursions/tours that we should do to get the most out of our experience? Thank you in advance!

The park itself is pretty much a do-it-yourself kind of adventure. The zodiac boat is a must but be prepared to be soaked to the skin. Many in the know stripped down to bathing suits. Don't bother with the jungle adventure; you can't see very much from the truck since most of the animals are either nocturnal or run the other way when they hear it. It is a lot to pay to see nothing.

Although we did not do it, I saw ads in the hotel lobby for day trips to the Brazilian side. I got the impression that they handled the visas. Maybe if you email the Sheraton Iguazu, they can give you the name of the company doing the tours.

The falls are magnificent.

In March we stayed two nights at the Sheraton in Iguazu Falls and the first day we toured on our own. The Aregentina side is easy to navigate and was great. The next day we took a cab to the Brazil side and took the helicopter tour that was awesome! We had visa's and had to show them when we entered Brazil. I don't think the hotel can get them for you, but I don't know that and may

be wrong.

Iguazu Falls is not to be missed and I highly suggest staying at the Sheraton. The falls are the most beautiful sight.

You are going to have a great time and many happy memories!

. I don't think the hotel can get them for you, but I don't know that and may

be wrong.

I wasn't sure either which is why I suggested getting in touch with the tour operator. It didn't seem clear from the little bit I saw and maybe eventually we will hear from someone who has done it without a visa or who was turned away because they didn't.

Iguazu Falls is not to be missed and I highly suggest staying at the Sheraton. The falls are the most beautiful sight.

You are going to have a great time and many happy memories!

HERE! HERE! I can't agree with you more. It was truly the highlight of our entire trip.

There is a check post on the highway between the Argentinian side and the Brazilian side. We came into Iguassu from the Brazil side and had visa. The tour guide drove us to the Argentinian side but when we went (2-years ago) the check post was not manned in either direction. But from the boats one can go to both sides and see both. There is no need to drive to the Brazilian side.

The boat tour is great, you will get completely soaked! They did have waterproof bags for you to put your things in. They also took us to both sides without getting wet, when the photographer and captain start putting their waterproof stuff on, it is time to put the expensive camera equipment away!

We stayed at the Sheraton and I thought it was worth it. It was interesting to see the falls at different times of the day. Easy as well to just walk out the door and start exploring.

If you are there during a full moon, they do have some sort of park after dark walk. I have heard that it is pretty enjoyable.

Trying to be out to the Devil's Throat on one of the earliest trains can be worth it from a crowd point of view. We were on the first one and we walked pretty quickly out to the falls. It was nice to be there for a short while without all the railing space being taken up! Be advised, the first train does fill up almost full at the main entrance, we just barely squeaked on at the next entrance and only because there were not enough spots for a tour group to all get on.( we were 6th and 7th in line.) Also, if you go to the train station early, do keep your spot in line. There were some people who had arrived early but they went to sit down by the building. When the train arrived, they were 12-15 people back.

On the return train, early on, head to the back of the train. More space! It is a bit difficult, they let people through to load while people are unloading, so there is a traffic jam time. When we returned to the station near the Sheraton, there was a huge line!

There is a trail not far from the Sheraton, we did part of it, Macacu(?). It leads down to another waterfall and is not much used. We did see a bit more wildlife there. We did not do the whole trail since we left late in the day and only had 45 minutes or so. It is a relatively flat trail.

Last thing, do all of the trail circuits. They offer all sorts of views of the falls and you can also see some of the little falls that are off to the side.

kristy

Both views are very good. In Brazil side you have a panoramic view. In the Argentian side you really "get on the fall".

Should the train be full, go walk, is just 20 minutes walking in a very good trail.

Take insect repelent with you.

Macucu is a hidden pearl.

Let's go,

this company has the concession for all the rides and tours on the Argentinian side: http://www.iguazujungle.com/index_ing.html

All other tour companies book through them. But there is no need to book ahead. You can do so when you get to the hotel. Look at their website and decide which excursions you want to take. (Check the "Map of our adventures" link.) I recommend the Green Passport combo. You can get the tickets at their "Jungle station" (shown in the Map) which is a short walk from the hotel (if the hotel desk doesn't get them for you). That's also where all the rides start from.

The one thing not to miss is to walk on San Martin Island. There is a little free ferry that goes across from the bottom of the Lower Trail right next to where the Great Adventure falls ride ends. From there you will have the best view of the Falls. Amazing!

And do walk all the trails/circuits. Its all eyepopping.

All taxi drivers and the hotel tour desk offer to take you to the Brazilian side. They charge more if you do not have a Brazilian visa. They say for "fees", but in all likelihood it is to "tip" the border guards. It's done all the time. Up to you if you want to chance it. You will need an extra day to do that. If not, you will be truly satisfied just being on the Argentinean side.

The best way to book the Sheraton is sheraton.com. You can usually find special offers that may include late checkout. That lets you take a 5pm or later flight to BA which gives you almost a full extra day.

Enjoy!

M

Thank you all for the great information and comments! I am so excited to see the falls! We are splurging and staying at the Sheraton. We figured it was well worth it, especially considering the short amout of time we have there...don't want to waste a minute!

Thanks to all again!:)

Both views are very good. In Brazil side you have a panoramic view. In the Argentian side you really "get on the fall".

It is a little like spreading out your fingers, then moving the thumb in front of your middle finger. The thumb would be the falls on the Brazilian side and the view you get from there, whereas the other fingers would be the falls on the Argentinean side and the view you get from the various points.

To be more precise, on the Brazilian side you can walk along the falls for about 30 minutes or so. Sometimes you make a few steps down and then a few more up but there is little difference in altitude except for the elevator at the end. There are very few falls on the Brazilian side that you can see, except maybe from a boat. On the Argentinean side you are much closer to the falls but you have to walk a lot more and if you want to get most out of it, you walk up and down a lot. If of course you want to take a boat, you walk up and down a lot on both sides but on the Argentinean side there is more to see.

Do not tip to the guards in the frontier. If you do not have a visa, stay in the Argentina. You will have great views and enjoy a lot. Everytime you tip to break the law you open the door for the crime increase.

Would you like someone to do so in your country?

• 3 months later...
Let's go,

this company has the concession for all the rides and tours on the Argentinian side: http://www.iguazujungle.com/index_ing.html

All other tour companies book through them. But there is no need to book ahead. You can do so when you get to the hotel. Look at their website and decide which excursions you want to take. (Check the "Map of our adventures" link.) I recommend the Green Passport combo. You can get the tickets at their "Jungle station" (shown in the Map) which is a short walk from the hotel (if the hotel desk doesn't get them for you). That's also where all the rides start from.

The one thing not to miss is to walk on San Martin Island. There is a little free ferry that goes across from the bottom of the Lower Trail right next to where the Great Adventure falls ride ends. From there you will have the best view of the Falls. Amazing!

And do walk all the trails/circuits. Its all eyepopping.

All taxi drivers and the hotel tour desk offer to take you to the Brazilian side. They charge more if you do not have a Brazilian visa. They say for "fees", but in all likelihood it is to "tip" the border guards. It's done all the time. Up to you if you want to chance it. You will need an extra day to do that. If not, you will be truly satisfied just being on the Argentinean side.

The best way to book the Sheraton is sheraton.com. You can usually find special offers that may include late checkout. That lets you take a 5pm or later flight to BA which gives you almost a full extra day.

Enjoy!

M

Thanks so much for the info and the link. Their map really shows where everything is in relation to the Sheraton. I noticed that in their Nautical Adventure, which is the boat ride, it says there are 150 meters of steps. Are there really 450 feet of steps to climb? If there really are that many steps, there is no way my wife will be able to do a zodiac ride to the falls.

Are there really 450 feet of steps to climb? If there really are that many steps, there is no way my wife will be able to do a zodiac ride to the falls.

Yes, there are. It is quite a climb. BUT, you can book the tour in reverse. Walk down to the landing, go to San Martin Island. Then start the "great adventure" - take the zodiac ride and then take the bus back to the top.

I was there a month ago.

Well done on choosing the Sheraton - it is the ONLY place to stay as it is the only hotel within the Argentinian National Park. All the others are miles away.

The hotel itself is pretty average but its location well and truly makes up for it. Be sure to get up in the morning and see the sun rise over the falls. When we were there the clouds of mist turned pink in the golden early morning light. An awesome sight

You can walk from the hotel to the trails on the Arentinian side. It is well signposted and many people walking so very safe. You will see birds, lots of amazing butterflies and coatity. I'd recommend the boat trip - doesnt matter which way you take it as it is still a hell of a walk up from the river but it is probably shorter/less steep if you walk down to the river and take the boat trip and then walk up to the point where the truck will pick you up.

All tours can be arranged at desks within the sheraton hotel and they are plenty of taxis/remises available to book.

You MUST have a visa to go to Brazil and although it is a hassle, I'd really recommend it as the views from the Brazilian side are amazing. If you take the remise organised by the Sheraton, they will take you through the border point to the Brazilian National Park HQ where you board a free bus to the falls. You get off at Stop 2 (??) and walk to the end to enjoy the sights. Your remise driver will wait for the 2-3 hours your walk takes and take you back to the Sheraton. But you must have a visa prior to making this day trip.

Enjoy Iguassu - it is amazing.

SmartTraveler,

Thanks for the info. Of course more info results in more questions. :D Is it a long walk to the train station from the Sheraton? It looks like there are two stations. Is it easier to catch the train at either of them or does it not make any difference?

Is the walk up to San Martin Island as steep as the walk down to the river? Is the Ecological Tram a better way to get to the trail to the Garganta del Diablo? I don't know how frequently the train runs, so it would be nice to have a backup method of getting around.

The first station isthe entrance to the park. You walk past the swimming pool to the second station near where the circuits start. Do take the train to Devil's Throat. It is too far to walk.

San Martin island has steps to climb, but it is a fraction of the height of the walk to the lower circuit. You'll see it from the little ferry landing on the other side. It's a 2 minute crossing, so just go across and decide if you want to climb it or not.

And the train to Devil's Throat runs every 20 minutes. If you take the Ecological boat ride, schedule it for after you go to Devil's Throat. The ride starts by the DT train station and they will take you back by bus to the other train station by the Sheraton after the boat ride. It is a very tame boat ride, but you will see amazing birds and it is a nice way to get back.

SmartTraveler,

Thanks for the info. Of course more info results in more questions. :D Is it a long walk to the train station from the Sheraton? It looks like there are two stations. Is it easier to catch the train at either of them or does it not make any difference?

Is the walk up to San Martin Island as steep as the walk down to the river? Is the Ecological Tram a better way to get to the trail to the Garganta del Diablo? I don't know how frequently the train runs, so it would be nice to have a backup method of getting around.

Catarata Train Station is a 10 minute walk from the Sheraton. Get there 10-15 minutes before departure time. Train leaves for Devil’s Throat at 10 and 40 minutes past the hour. Train ride is about 15 minutes. Walk to the observation point is also about 15 minutes. You can spend 30 minutes there and make the return train which leaves on the hour and half hour. I left at first train at 8:40 am from the Catarata Station and had a few minutes of exclusive viewing before others caught up with me, and returned on the 10 am train.

The timings may have changed since we were there 4 years ago.

Thanks for the link Dileep. I have seen some of your other videos, but somehow missed out on this one. This is a really great video to show what to expect. I am really glad that we will be able to get so close to it. When on St. Martin Island, are you able to walk all along the edge to get views or is it restricted?

Archived