Victoria, BC

kaliograntz

On our last day before returning to Seattle on our cruise on the Spirit in July, we stop in Victoria but only from like 7pm-11:59pm? Anyone know what that means? Why 11:59? Are we able to even get off the ship? And also, is there anything to do at night there if we can get off? Just doesn't seem like a very long time and I find it strange that it's only at night. Didn't know if there was a reason to stop there. Anyone got an idea?

The time 11:59 pm is to make it clear what time, it is in port. It is a formality stop, for the Passenger services act.

There will be a few tours offered, and yes you can get off the ship. The Inner Harbor, has the Empress Hotel, carriage rides, etc. About a 20 minute walk if you don't take the shuttles or cab.

I remember hearing on the news that the ships are required to make one stop in Canada because they're travelling through Canadian waters. There are some tourist attractions near the harbor, walking distance - but depending on your date they may already be closed before your ship docks are shortly thereafter (The Undersea Gardens, The Royal Museum, Wax Museum). There are lots of tourist shops along Government Street that may or may not be open. I suspect you're right. Due to the hour there may not be much else for you to do except get off the ship, wander around the harbor, go inside the Empress Hotel for a look, and take a photo of the Parliament Buildings lit up at night.

On our last day before returning to Seattle on our cruise on the Spirit in July, we stop in Victoria but only from like 7pm-11:59pm? Anyone know what that means? Why 11:59? Are we able to even get off the ship? And also, is there anything to do at night there if we can get off? Just doesn't seem like a very long time and I find it strange that it's only at night. Didn't know if there was a reason to stop there. Anyone got an idea?

US requirements; the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886; require foreign flagged/staffed vessels to be operating international itineraries, hence a foreign port stop is required.

Victoria is a beautiful city, and it's a short walk (maybe a mile) into the inner harbour where there will be plenty of sights to see. In the summer, it's light out until 9:30pm at least, so get out and enjoy! There are shuttles to/from downtown (but they're way overpriced @ $10/return), the local bus system leaves from right in front of the cruise terminal and does the same thing for $2.25/ea way.

• 3 weeks later...

My question exactly! We were there last year during the day and saw the basic waterfront area and went to WONDERFUL Butchart gardens, where I would go again in a second, but I don't think that time schedule (the same as ours on the Golden Princess) allows it. I thought about the Royal B.C. Museum, but it closes at 5:00. Other than wander around where we've already been, I can't think of much to do.

By the way, they don't let you in the main lobby of the Empress Hotel unless you are staying there, or at least they didn't last year.

Nancy

My question exactly! We were there last year during the day and saw the basic waterfront area and went to WONDERFUL Butchart gardens, where I would go again in a second, but I don't think that time schedule (the same as ours on the Golden Princess) allows it.

You will have time but it will be a bit rushed depending how close to schedule the ship arrives, time to get off and on you way there, and when it gets dark. If you are lucky enough to be there on Saturday (July3-Septermber 3), they do fireworks at the end of the day which are pretty good.

When we went in August, we had time for 2 cirlces through the main gardens and then a trip through the sunken garden (lit up and more spectacular after dark in my opinion) before going to the fireworks.

Its not "easy' to get transportation to and from because of the time you have so its worth the premium to book thorugh the ship I think.

There are some pictures if you click on my signature photos and then go to Canada set.

Archived