Best month for Aust./New Zealand

joybug

Where in Australia? It's a big place. It's like asking whether September is a good month to visit "the USA", which is about the same size.

Sydney can be very nice in September. Cairns will be hot, steamy and tropical at any time of the year. I think that much of New Zealand is likely still to be on the chilly side - more like late winter than early spring.

September is a bit cool still in Tasmania and I would think the South Island of NZ. It is cool at night (or can be) in Melbourne and Adelaide, but pleasant during the day. September is a great time to visit the Red Centre- and it isn't stinger (jelly fish) season yet in the Great Barrier Reef. So a qualified yes and it is usually when you will find me in Australia. (Guess where I will be in a week!)

If you ask me, the best month in Australia/New Zealand is March ... but maybe that's just because in Sydney the summer months can be very humid and March brings a welcome, fresh change to the weather. I'm not trying to justify my answer though cos I swear it's the best month!! September comes a close 2nd .. and it's my birthday! Enjoy your visit. :D

September in Australia is SPRING . It will vary temperature wise from mild like 16 - 20 celsius down South in Melbourne, around 18 - 23 in Sydney, and 22 - 28 in Queensland . So september is OK but October would be better .

Avoid November, December, January in the North as very hot, but ideal down South.

New Zealand best months December to January especially in South Island.

We toured New Zealand last March and weather was great-it was their Fall season and days were sunny and warm. Afterwards, we flew to Australia and spent 10 days in April in Melbourne, Cairns and Sydney. Again, weather was perfect in Melbourne and Sydney. However, we hit the tail end of the rainy season in tropical Cairns. It poured for 2 days and finally, had sunshine on our last day in Cairns.

Still, can't complain, as overall, we had great weather.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to visit the centre of Australia eg. Alice Springs. and Uluru then September is the perfect time before the heat arrives and all the blow flies.

I prefer March for Melbourne - September is windy and also tempramental down here as it cannot decide whether it is winter or spring - but then again, you can swim up north in September and normally it isn't supposed to rain, but this year is completely different and every State is getting the rains and much cooler weather.

I think that New Zealand is still quite cool in September, especially the South Island and if you are thinking of visiting both countries, then what is good for one won't be good for the other as our climates are just so different.

Jennie

Around Easter (March/April) is generally the best time in most of Australia. The extreme heat of the summer has passed but it's still very warm and pleasant in most places. Sept/Oct is a particularly good time to visit Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef. Avoid January/February when it's very hot (and humid up north). This September has been particularly wet and "cold" (by Aussie standards) and it seems to be taking a long time for spring to arrive this year :( But we've had some much needed rain after a decade of drought here in the south so no complaints from me or my garden!

Around Easter (March/April) is generally the best time in most of Australia. The extreme heat of the summer has passed but it's still very warm and pleasant in most places. Sept/Oct is a particularly good time to visit Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef. Avoid January/February when it's very hot (and humid up north). This September has been particularly wet and "cold" (by Aussie standards) and it seems to be taking a long time for spring to arrive this year :( But we've had some much needed rain after a decade of drought here in the south so no complaints from me or my garden!

My two trips down there were both around Easter. Still warm in the south but not unbearably hot. Best time of year to go IMHO.

Archived