Zip line tour in Puerto Rico?????

momwlgibbs

We took zip line tour in Puerto Rico at the La Marquesa Forestry Reserve, booked through Carnival, this past May on our cruise on Carnival Glory. If it's the same place, I would say it was worth it. However, it was our first time doing a zip line. There's about a 15 minute walk, uphill, to get to the traverses and it was a hot, humid day, but no one seemed to have any problems with the hike. There were a total of 8 traverses and they took good safety precautions to where we felt secure, even though we'd never done it before. All I can say was that I had a blast and would love to do it again.

I don't know how that compares to zip line tours on other islands and what those prices are, so maybe someone else who has been on this one, in addition to others, can give you a better idea if the cost was worth it.

My eldest son & his girlfriend did the zip line in PR, booking thru the ship. I thought he said the price was closer to $150., but could be wrong...maybe $125. so probably the same one you are mentioning. They had a lot of fun.

However, my husband & I & our other kids went ziplining last month in Roatan for $40. pp After my older son saw our video/pictures he felt their's was a bit better (jungle setting as opposed to ours being more fields) but certainly nothing that warranted the huge price difference. There are other zipline places in Roatan that were a little more expensive & a bit more "extreme" but still no where near that $125. price.

Now, of course, if you're not going to Roatan in any near future you have to decide if you want to just spend the money & zipline while in PR.

• 2 weeks later...
I am doing the zip line jungle tour next week. Can I wear athletic sandals or should I wear closed toed shoes? I am trying to cut back on shoes for the trip.

Closed toed shoes would be your best bet. There is a hike that's approximately 15 minutes, uphill, and the path was pretty well worn, but very rocky in spots. There are a few spots along the trail where you'll come in contact with weeds and some branches. When we were there in May, the trail was pretty muddy as well and we did have mud caked all over our shoes. After actually doing the tour, the main thing that would deter me from wearing athletic sandals is when you are actually on the zip line traverses and approaching the next platform. I didn't have any problems, but if you where to hit your foot on the edge of the platform when coming in with exposed toes - ouch. The guides are very good with their instructions on how to slow down and to come in facing the platform and will also remind you to lift your feet when coming into the next platform, and each platform will have one of the guides helping you with your approach.

Here's a link to the La Marquesa Original Canopy Tour, the same one we signed up for through the ship's tour. It's really got some great information and two short videos.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/marquesa-original-canopy-tour/

I hope you have a great time on the zip lines and on your cruise next week. :)

Here's a link to the La Marquesa Original Canopy Tour, the same one we signed up for through the ship's tour. It's really got some great information and two short videos.

I am glad you liked the article.....that is me on the zipline video!

Closed toe shoes are a must. Longer shorts or pants also needed (to prevent chafing of the harness).

I am glad you liked the article.....that is me on the zipline video!

Closed toe shoes are a must. Longer shorts or pants also needed (to prevent chafing of the harness).

I LOVED your article (and videos) and after reading it, we decided we definitely wanted to do the canopy tour and booked it, on line, through Carnival a couple of months in advance. Thank you for taking the time for the very detailed information, descriptions, and videos - it was definitely very helpful to us.

Closed toed shoes would be your best bet. There is a hike that's approximately 15 minutes, uphill, and the path was pretty well worn, but very rocky in spots. There are a few spots along the trail where you'll come in contact with weeds and some branches. When we were there in May, the trail was pretty muddy as well and we did have mud caked all over our shoes. After actually doing the tour, the main thing that would deter me from wearing athletic sandals is when you are actually on the zip line traverses and approaching the next platform. I didn't have any problems, but if you where to hit your foot on the edge of the platform when coming in with exposed toes - ouch. The guides are very good with their instructions on how to slow down and to come in facing the platform and will also remind you to lift your feet when coming into the next platform, and each platform will have one of the guides helping you with your approach.

I hope you have a great time on the zip lines and on your cruise next week. :)

Thanks for the quick response. I will take my trekkers (closed toe) with me for the zip line. We should have fun on the cruise and it looks like we will be hurricane free on our itinerary. :D

• 1 month later...

It is a little tricky trying to get pictures while ziplining here, since you need to use both hands to brake. But if you give your camera to the guide that goes in front of you, they will take pictures of you when you are coming in on the line.

I was there once and the picture taking did slow up the zip line process, but people were able to get good pictures of themselves enjoying their vacation.

• 1 month later...

Archived