Seasickness with 19 month old?

JMB22

Has your 19 month old gotten seasick while cruising, during bad weather and/or good weather? I'm more worried about the bad weather.

Does seasickness medicine exist for 19 month olds?

I worry our DS will get seasick and there will be nothing we can do to help him. On our last cruise, we encountered some terrible weather and most people were stuck in their rooms sick (including me!) (this was before DS was born). I can only imagine how terrible seasickness would be for a 19 month old.

I have never experienced seasickness with small children, but many other illnesses. I would talk with your pharmacist regarding meds for that age. I actually saw some nausea suckers in my pharmacy the other day and debated purchasing some for myself for my upcoming cruise. At least something like that if needed you could help them with it & may be easier (and taste better) than trying to give them something orally that is liquid and perhaps not too appealing...

GL & happy cruising!!

The last time we cruised with our daughter was two years ago when she was 18 months old. It was quite rough on the way back from Bermuda and both my wife and myself were feeling green...our daughter was fine.

We asked the question before we left about meds and were told at that age there really is no medicine they can take. However, candied/crystalized ginger is something that was recommended and we gave it to our daughter at breakfast and lunch. Not sure if it was the ginger or if she wasn't prone to seasickness (she does get car sick) but either way she was fine.

Very young children are inherently unstable themselves...and they don't get "dizzy" because of it. I don't think their "inner ear" has become sophisticated enough to be bothered by motion.

I don't think there will be a problem at all.

Absolutely untrue and every time I see someone post this it makes me cringe. My daughter, who did not get seasick, does get car sick (which is why we tried to figure out how to keep her form getting seasick before we cruised when she was 18 months old). It has been a challenge to take long car rides with her. Young children can and do get motion sick.

Absolutely untrue and every time I see someone post this it makes me cringe. My daughter, who did not get seasick, does get car sick (which is why we tried to figure out how to keep her form getting seasick before we cruised when she was 18 months old). It has been a challenge to take long car rides with her. Young children can and do get motion sick.

You are right. Although MOST young children do not get motion sick, some do. I would suspect that most parents of kids who are more prone to this will already have an idea about this before they sail.

For the OP - There was a long thread about this a week or two ago (sorry the search isn't working for me right now or I'd find it for you). The best information that came out of that thread was a pharmacist that posted suggestions for combatting motion sickness should it occur. As with all medicine you may want to run the info by your pediatrician, but it is always better to be over prepared than under with little ones.

Ask your pediatrician. We just returned from a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda. DD#1 is 4 and gets car sick. She had terrible car sickness in the taxi rides we took and I feared she would be bad on the cruise. I gave her a little dramamine (per our ped) but she probably would have been okay without it. However, our 2 year old who never gets car sick or dizzy on a tire swing, was uncomfortable our last day and got sick once in the morning. I had to give her dramamine the whole last day and she as feeling sick on and off all day. I'm pretty sure though that the dramamine is for 2+ so I would speak with your pediatrician. You might be able to find some ginger lollypops, or ginger cookies. They do sell those motion bracelets for children - at one step ahead.

Thank you so much for all your information. :) I will definitely look into that other post; I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.

Don't apologize, I have very little luck with the search feature on this site. I find I have better luck finding what I'm looking for by googling and then viewing all the links that belong to cruisecritic. I just happened to remember that post from last week and I knew it wasn't too far back in the history.

We just got back from a cruise with our 19 month old son. He did not show any signs of sea sickness, though I should say that no one else in my party (ages ranging from 5 to 62) had any either. My son barely ate the whole cruise but never was fussy or anything so I don't think it was sea sickness. I don't know if toddlers can get sea sickness but I doubt there is any medicine that can be given. Barely anything is approved for the under 2 group.

children of that age do not get seasickness. The center in the brain that controls this does not develop until later around 5-7 years of age. Remember baby tumbled around floating in water inside you and love to rock and swing. Movement is soothing to them and wont make them seasick.

For the rare occasion of children under 2 suffering from motion sickness, there are two drugs.

Dramamine Original Formula Chewable Tablets (Dimenhydrinate)

http://www.dramamine.com/chewable-formula

To prevent or treat motion sickness, see below:

• adults and children 12 years and over 1 to 2 chewable tablets every 4-6 hours; not more than 8 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 6 to under 12 years ½ to 1 chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; not more than 3 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 2 to under 6 years ¼ to ½ chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; not more than 1-1/2 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor

and Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)

which Russianmom shared this GREAT link from the CDC earlier

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/motion-sickness.htm

diphenhydramine, 0.5–1 mg/kg per dose up to 25 mg, can be given 1 hour before travel and every 6 hours during the trip

also Crusinmama shared another link:

http://www.babyzone.com/baby_toddler_preschooler_health/allergies/article/benadryl-dosage-chart

All great info!

Of course, naturally, I feel ginger is best. Heck, my sister is going through chemotherapy, and she finds that ginger tea helps with the post-chemo crash... takes a lot of the edge off the nausea. She's been drinking the Tazo Ginger Green Tea.

I asked my candy wholesaler about Ginger Altoids... discontinued in the US. :mad: Can't order them for the pharmacy anymore.

Found them @ altoids.com for $28/box of 12... but I don't know... I don't necessarily need a dozen tins for personal use.

I have to go out and try different ginger candies....

Archived