Fernado's 100% Agave Closed??? Say it isn't So!!!

plutospal

Dang! :( Guess Evan (National Beach Club) "wins" the margarita wars:rolleyes:

I'd assume that Fernando wasn't getting the traffic. His location looked to be a bit further down than where most cruisers wind up. What was unique about his old/original location was its location, away from the crowds. But you need the traffic to keep in business. Hope he gets in with Jaime or Steve and "spruces up" their menus a bit or brings in the tequila and teaches the bartenders how to make a really good michelada.

Anyone hears where he lands, please post.

Geeesh, I was planning on taking our group of 8 there this coming week. Now where do we go?

I would go there if I were you, just to check it out.

No one has said that they were there and it was closed.

We were there 4 weeks ago and he was open and he did not say anything about closing.

We had a wonderful lunch and drinks.

Judy

I would go there if I were you, just to check it out.

No one has said that they were there and it was closed.

We were there 4 weeks ago and he was open and he did not say anything about closing.

We had a wonderful lunch and drinks.

Judy

Birdy,

I agree with Judy....do stop and check to see if the FB stuff is legit. We can only go by what we're reading on line. You'll be inudated with places offering your group loungers and such. If Fernado is closed, I suggest you head back up the malecon to Tropicante and see if Steve has room for you. Pez Quadro should have loungers too. Try the food at Maya Luna. For some very good local eats, head up to the lighthouse and stop at the small Sak Ha kiosk (taco stand). You can see it near the Pemex station on your way to the beach. Local husband and wife team who use local caught seafood and slow roasted meats for their dishes. Inexpensive. And the walk will do you good:).

Big Papa's BBQ and Beach Break has moved into Fernanado's 100% Agave location however most of the staff decided to stay with the place.

We have many of the old favorites and have add BBq to the mix. We have a great staff, clean kitchen and a HUGE beach with many loungers and tables.

We hope to meet everyone who stops by. Stop by and check out the new place!

Robert and Cary Crowe

Big Papa's BBQ and Beach Break

Big Papa's BBQ and Beach Break has moved into Fernanado's 100% Agave location however most of the staff decided to stay with the place.

We have many of the old favorites and have add BBq to the mix. We have a great staff, clean kitchen and a HUGE beach with many loungers and tables.

Robert and Cary Crowe

Bob and Cary...hope you've kept Fernando's lechon/smoker guy...that's was some good eatin'. And hope Fernando showed you how to make those great michealdas with Bohemia not Corona.:D

Best of luck to you.

Robert and Cary Crowe

Robert and Cary,

I am so happy to hear that you have taken over & will keep some favorites. The next time we are in Costa Maya, you can be sure that we'll stop by. We'll give the BBQ a try.

I love the beach there.

We have no plans to be there soon, but hopefully we'll make it next winter.

Good luck to you.

I wish you much success.

Judy

Bummer. We had the pleasure of visiting both the old and new location, and it is (was) one of my favorite places in the Caribbean. The ceviche was the best I've ever had.

Anyone know what happened to Fernando? I hope he's doing alright.

Best of luck to the new owners.

Bummer. We had the pleasure of visiting both the old and new location, and it is (was) one of my favorite places in the Caribbean. The ceviche was the best I've ever had.

Anyone know what happened to Fernando? I hope he's doing alright.

Best of luck to the new owners.

From another owner along the malecon, I'm hearing he needed a bit of a break. Folks in Mahahual are very supportive and for the most part all like Don Fernando even though a competitor. They're hopeful he'll return with something in the near future.

and met Robert the new owner of Big Pappys who will continue many of the same features Fernandos had. He is not in their building as of now, simply on the corner but still has the cook, Nacho and his daughter Mitzi are still helping customers and the beach is a pleasant as any in the area.

We had great service, plenty of food and some of their local drinks while we hung out for a few hours enjoying the 'local folks' hawking their wares and bringing fish and lobsters up the street for sale. May not be exactly the same, but considering 100% is not open this is a very good food and drink experience. Robert and his family came from Utah in November and Fernandos just closed the first week of February.

The natural Ceviche was awesome and the staff, including Roberts family, couldn't be more helpful and attentive.

Go - enjoy and come back here to tell all how it was!

Robert and Cary Crowe

. . . now that you are in Paradise. Hope all goes well for you and thanks for not changing everything right out of the box!

I just returned sunday on NCL Star and met fernando (orig 100% agave owner)the restauraunt is indeed closed someone else is still running the location as a bar on the beach and using the name. Fernando is not happy about it and asked me to post this. He is running a liquor store on the block behind the main street. We actually ended up at Tropicante. Steve was awesome and accomodating and when I questioned him about Agave he actually brought Fernando over to meet me. They are friends. Sounds like it was a financial thing. Steve offers free WiFi so a lot of the ships performers hung out there with their laptops which was a huge bonus for my daughter and her friends who got to meet and talk to them. HIGHLy recommend-until Fernando opens back up!

Just got back from Norwegian Dawn. We were in Mahahual Thursday Feb 14. We had planned our day in Costa Maya around a visit to Fernando's but unfortunately he has sold the business. His restaurant is empty, although we were ushered onto the beach area through the restaurant. When we found out that the Barbeque place had bought it we decided to go elsewhere. We didn't travel to Mexico to eat BBQ! Anyway, sorry we missed out on the "Fernando" experience.

Just got back from Norwegian Dawn. We were in Mahahual Thursday Feb 14. We had planned our day in Costa Maya around a visit to Fernando's but unfortunately he has sold the business. His restaurant is empty, although we were ushered onto the beach area through the restaurant. When we found out that the Barbeque place had bought it we decided to go elsewhere. We didn't travel to Mexico to eat BBQ! Anyway, sorry we missed out on the "Fernando" experience.

I hear what you're saying...but if they use locals and do barbacoa or good slow cooked lechon, it'll be Mex enough. But if they go the route of places like "The Shed" in Biloxi and just slather oven roasted meat with sweet sauce and no smoke, then I agree with you, that's not what one comes to the Yucatan to eat.

We were in Costa Maya Feb 15th and Steve @ Tropicante helped me find Fernando's Mexican Water.

Still real good but my wife couldn't get over that it came out of a plastic five gal container:eek:

Lefty

Yeah I guess he can't go toting around that mini wooden cask over his shoulder and pour from the spigot:D

Sad to say, all that it is true. We were in Costa Maya last Thursday February 21st and Fernando is gone. We still decided to stay but none of the charm that everyone described about Fernando's was there. No welcome drinks, no chips and salsa. The menu was for american BBQ that I could get in the states. And the prices were much more than I expected after hearing about all of Fernando's great deals. We heard that some americans came in and bought the place and I think it showed. We ended up not even eating and just having a few buckets of beer, they were 5 beers for $10 which was a good deal. Did some snorkeling off the beach, walked around and did some shopping but that was it. If we go back to Costa Maya I would definately try somewhere else. There was just nothing special about the place. It wasn't that it was bad. Our waiter Jose' was great. I just was expecting a lot more from all the stories I read about Fernando. I really wanted to try his tequila!

• 2 weeks later...

C'mon...BBQ in Mexico? Even though we miss 100% Agave, we've been to this BBQ place twice. Not good....don't even bother.

Go see Jaime at NoHoch Kay down the end of the Malecon. He's got the best food anywhere along there.

The other place to stop is at El Capitan Mono...ask for Cain. He'll take care of you.

Just don't waste your money on the BBQ place. You're in Mexico for petes sake!!

tisha, I would agree with you on American BBQ ( not sure if Utah is KC, Tex, or Memphis style) in Mexico. Btu keep in mind that many cruisers and tourists are reluctant to each local or unfamiliar foods. For those folks seeing some place selling ribs and BBQ chicken like they see at the chain place back home is a welcomed site. And a litlle diversity from fish tacos in food choices isn't in an of itself a bad thing. Thanks for the mention of El Capitan. I agree that Jaime's chef cooks up a great menu.

Robert and Cary Crowe

Loved Costa Maya and the original Fernando’s 100% Agave. We loved the atmosphere and the drinks. Fun place. Hopefully in the future Princess, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean will add Costa Maya back to their Western Caribbean itineraries. We don’t Cruise Carnival or Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Archived