Free Radical - How is the snorkeling

scsagh

I was out on the Radical last month. I was a bit concerned about the price when paying but once the day was done I was all for doing it again, full price.

They feed you very good food pretty much from boarding until just before return. There is free choice beverages including alcohol.

The owners, Julie and Ed are delightful interesting people and the crew is kinda and attentive.

The snorkeling at Cow and Calf was full, I mean FULL, of fishes and other sea critters. One of the crew was in the water as well puttering about showing one or another of us something cool. He found a sea spider I never would have noticed.

The second spot we stopped was a wreck, while there was not as many fish about there were a number of starfish and we saw three squid. The crew guy was in the water again and located a Lion-fish.

Truly I would not hesitate to go again for the snorkeling, the enjoyment and the amazing crew... let us not forget the food. Banana muffins for breakfast..yummy!

Thanks, Guest 2000. Sounds perfect! We were already booked on the MV Free Radical catamaran charter for the end of March off of the Crown Princess. The snorkeling was the piece that I hadn't read much about here on the boards. Your comments about that reassured me that we booked the right adventure for us!

How was the boat trip to the snokelling area? Did you sail at all or power the whole way??

Was their snorkeling gear OK or did you bring your own??

The boat trip out was fine, I was the only one of eight of us who got a little tummy complaint, they suggested I drink a full sugar coke and "drive" the boat.. I was amazed at how much the stability of the wheel sorted out my tummy. We motored out, Ed said due to the direction of the wind and huge waves, everyone on the boat would be sick if he were sailing. He did sail back. I was just fine coming back, something about the wind and the current going the same direction. Come to think of it, I took the ferry from Roatan to the mainland one year.. I was fine of the way there, I was sick as a dog on the way back... everyone says the mainland to the island is rougher.

Sharing snorkel gear is akind to sharing my tooth brush with strangers.. I have my own. :)

I found the snorkeling at Cow and Calf to be just OK. The coral formations were above average, but there were not many fish worth seeing. The rest of the trip is absolutely first class and you should not hesitate to book.

How did the snorkeling compare to West Bay Beach? After spending the day there on our cruise last month, we have decided to do a land vacation to Roatan next February. I am looking for some things to do while we are there, and this sounds like a fun outing. How many people were on your outing?

Guest 2000 - Thanks for all the great info you provide on this board.

How did the snorkeling compare to West Bay Beach? After spending the day there on our cruise last month, we have decided to do a land vacation to Roatan next February. I am looking for some things to do while we are there, and this sounds like a fun outing. How many people were on your outing?

Guest 2000 - Thanks for all the great info you provide on this board.

You are most welcome.

From my perspective: The area between Infinty's pier and the wall are far more exciting than the snorkeling from Radical but one must keep in mind it is a very larger area with two different walls one far deeper than the other.

There were 7 guests on the Radical with me plus Ed and Julie and their three crew. The Cat can handle 30 but holy hannah I would not want to be on that sailing.. I think I would still be comfy with 15 in clear weather so people could get out on the decks.

Yes, Radical is great fun.. the other day trip many people do is Bay Islands Adventures does a Cayos_Cochinos excursion on a monster three engine boat that goes like a bat outta.... Ray, the guy who owns the boat is all giving guests the best adventure possible.

Mostly Roatan is about the art of doing nothing unless of course one is a diver. I personally spend alot of time walking, reading, swimming, snorkeling, and hanging about with both old and new friends.

Archived