Tips for Great Stirrup Cay

cosmo1027

From what I understand, the number one tip is to get on an early tender. What other tips do past cruisers have for GSC? Assuming we are able to get on an early tender and have our choice of where to go, where is the best location to get a chair and umbrella?

We will have with us a 60-something mother-in-law who won't want to walk too far and a 6 year old who loves playing at the beach. And my husband and I would like to snorkel.

Thanks!!!

Cosmo1027

Like you said get an early tender. Each tender holds about 300 people. The tenders start taking passengers to the island about 45minutes to 1 hour after they anchor. There are wheel chairs that have big fat wheels and are made of PVC to help you get you mom around, if needed.

When you get off the tender go left. There are plenty of sand chairs & umbrellas for two. You can rent flotation rafts to lay on also. There are some lounge chairs like on the ship, but have to get there early to get one of them.

We just came back on Sunday. Snorkeling was okay. It was too rough to get outside the cay to see the best fish. The guide fed some yellow tail snapper and they followed us around the inside. There's a small artificial reef on the inside but much of it was washed away with hurricane last year.

They have clean restrooms, live music, a barbeque & of course, beer & booze. There are picnic tables, & hammocks.

Bring water shoes, sunscreen & bug spray. Some people got really biiten up by sand fleas. Don't lay in the sand.

Overall, a really nice day at GSC. Your gonna love it.:)

For cosmo1027...

You've got quite a diverse family to have to please...here's my "best" advice assuming you procure the coveted early tender ticket:

1. Once you get off the tenderboat (as you are facing the island), go left...the best beach sand for your little one to play in is there. It will be a sea of blue umbrellas, each having two low beach chairs. You don't want to be right on the water's edge because you are there for the better part of a day and there is a tidal change...you don't want your "stuff" to get all wet as the tide comes in. Since your mother-in-law doesn't want to walk too far, you'll have to deal with the most crowded section of the beach...that which is closest to the tenderboat area. The entire "left" beach area is also where you snorkel. Best fish can be seen out near the huge rock island & penninsula that act as breakwaters for the beach. Your snorkel equipment (if you are renting it) can be picked up at the snorkel shack located further down that "left" side. The raft & mat rental shack is also there.

Another option, provided you are on an early tender, would be to go straight (up a few steps) and to the left as you leave the tender. Head into the grassy area with some palm trees just behind the Massage Hut. There you will find some natural shade, picnic tables, and hammocks strung between the trees. The hammocks are wonderful...the natural shade refreshing...and the picnic tables come in handy when you enjoy the BBQ lunch. This area is close to everything...BBQ hut, straw market, bathrooms, volleyball areas, bandstand, tenderboats, and it is just a short walk to the beach & snorkel area. I think the hiking trail starts near there too...somewhere by the volleyball court with the flag pole and bathroom building.

If you can't procure an early tender ticket...try not to worry too much about your mother-in-law having to walk too far. The beach area isn't that long. There are beach wheelchairs available with huge plastic tires that some of the crew will use to help transport your m-i-l further down the beach of necessary! The chairs are a "hoot" to see...looking like giant off-road wheelchairs!

If you'd like a less crowded area...go right when you leave the tender along the top of the concrete wall beyond the building that houses the "bar". The beach isn't sandy over there and you really aren't allowed to "swim" or "snorkel", but you can wade in the water if you have water shoes on...it is very rocky. This is the area where you can rent water craft (sail boats, paddle boats, kayaks, etc.) There are beach chairs and umbrellas over there too...set up more toward the grassy and shady area.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what you'll encounter. Note: We were in line for tender tickets at the appointed time...that line already extended from the Shore Excursion Desk down to the Bamboo Restaurant...so get in line earlier than you might expect. The tender tickets are given out numerically and by color...I believe each tender boat carried 250 people as the "groupings" that were called by number (0-250, 250-500, 500-750, etc. The first "color" was blue on our sailing. We procured #1 in the next group which was pink. I believe we were on the 4th or 5th tender to the island. We were able to get our "spot" near the Snorkel Shack, which worked well for us, but might be too far for your mother-in-law to walk.

Good luck getting early tickets...this is truly a case of the "early bird getting the worm"!

Debjo

My advise to you is that if you do not get an early tender, you skip the island altogether, have peace and quiet on the ship, and have a fine lunch! We had priority disembarking, but weren't allowed to the front of the line. Once we finally got to GSC, they were finishing up with the buffet lunch and there were no chairs....therefore, no lunch, no place to sit, and poor snorkeling. Perhaps your Mom would prefer the peace and quiet while you bring your kid to the island to play? Again, in my humble opinion, GSC was not anything to write home about.

to each there own on this. We loved GSC went at about 11am. Had little trouble getting two seats...stayed until the last tender back. No problem getting food, easy snorkling and were able to get one of the hammocks for a couple of hours...

Its funny because I guess my thought is that this is not the port where you need to feel like you need to get the first tender. There isn't THAT much going on at the beach that you are really going to miss out on. Additionally, the left side gets crowded but the right side doesn't. Sit on the right side and avoid the crowds, then when you want to snorkel simply walk yourself over to the area where the best snorkeling is (over on the left).

Also, if you are up for a short walk (not with MIL of course) but you can walk to the other side of the island where there is a small, nice beach and very secluded where you feel like you are the only ones on the island. There is a trail which is not marked but it is pretty wide and obviously a trail behind the main food area. The walk might take you 15 minutes on this path to get the the other side of the island.

Finally, if you do plan to snorkel, I suggest bringing your own snorkel and mask and lifejacket. NCL charges around $25 for each person to borrow their snorkel gear (which they use over and over each cruise). We packed a seperate suitcase with just snorkel gear and saved our family lots of money at this island alone. Yes it is another bag to carry but it fits easily under the bed and you pay porters to handle your bags anyways. I travel with my two young children and have lots of luggage in addition to children's gear and even with all of OUR STUFF I still felt it was well worth the extra effort to lug our own snorkel equipment with us. By the time we got to NCL's private island we had already felt totally nickeled and dimed by NCL and we were happy to save ourselves the cash.

One more thing. Take some bread with you snorkeling. It really attracts the fish to you. I take 4 or 5 dinner rolls from the dining room along in my tote bag and it is the highlight of our snorkeling.

My advise to you is that if you do not get an early tender, you skip the island altogether, have peace and quiet on the ship, and have a fine lunch! We had priority disembarking, but weren't allowed to the front of the line. Once we finally got to GSC, they were finishing up with the buffet lunch and there were no chairs....therefore, no lunch, no place to sit, and poor snorkeling. Perhaps your Mom would prefer the peace and quiet while you bring your kid to the island to play? Again, in my humble opinion, GSC was not anything to write home about.

wow,iv never heard/read advice like you just gave..sounds like you were a bit pissed about not being able to"cut"the line.???

however im concerned about lunch being over before the last tender reaches the Island???can you or anyone expand on this...i have no need for laying on the beach(i can do that in jersey)but i would like a good lunch and a drink or two....other then that,explore and some snorkeling(iv got my own gear)...

We always do what SMeyer418 did:

Get there around 11.

It's a bit of a struggle to get umbreallas, but we always find one or two.

The Bar B Q is nice, decent variety and the largest wok you'll ever see in your life.

It is always the most relaxing, most peaceful vacation day I ever have.

No taxi to catch. No restaurant to look for. No fear of missing the boat.

It's the definition of an escapist vacation day.

I can feel it right now.

Enjoy!!!!

For cosmo1027...

You've got quite a diverse family to have to please...

I thought this might be a tall order to fill!! ;-)

For cosmo1027...

Hope this gives you a better idea of what you'll encounter.

Thank you everyone!! This really has given be a better idea of what our options are.

Finally, if you do plan to snorkel, I suggest bringing your own snorkel and mask and lifejacket. NCL charges around $25 for each person to borrow their snorkel gear (which they use over and over each cruise). We packed a seperate suitcase with just snorkel gear and saved our family lots of money at this island alone. Yes it is another bag to carry but it fits easily under the bed and you pay porters to handle your bags anyways. I travel with my two young children and have lots of luggage in addition to children's gear and even with all of OUR STUFF I still felt it was well worth the extra effort to lug our own snorkel equipment with us. By the time we got to NCL's private island we had already felt totally nickeled and dimed by NCL and we were happy to save ourselves the cash.

ill have my own gear but not the vest or the float/raft....i believe they give you(free)the vest but how about the float????whats the cost??

thanks-

We live in Florida so the beach is not really a big draw for us. On other cruiselines, we go over for the barbeque, maybe find a beach chair for an hour or so and then head back.

Is this worth doing? How's the barbeque? :confused:

:) Hello! I was just at Great Stirrup Cay last month, LOVED IT!!! We also brought our own snorkel stuff ($15.00 at Wal Mart). The snorkel vest is free, you just have to go up to the snorkel shack and get it, then return it when you leave, that's it, very simple....

Yes, the beach gets very, very, very crowded, but its OK, everyone is having a nice time, it's nothing to worry about, you'll have a nice time. We saw some beautifull fish and a couple of stingray, pretty cool!!!

Suesan

:) Hello! I was just at Great Stirrup Cay last month, LOVED IT!!! We also brought our own snorkel stuff ($15.00 at Wal Mart). The snorkel vest is free, you just have to go up to the snorkel shack and get it, then return it when you leave, that's it, very simple....

Yes, the beach gets very, very, very crowded, but its OK, everyone is having a nice time, it's nothing to worry about, you'll have a nice time. We saw some beautifull fish and a couple of stingray, pretty cool!!!

Suesan

sue did you rent a float or raft or were you able to swim or walk to the reef or to where the fish are????

ill have an 11 year old with me.

thanks-

I loved GSC. We went over onthe 1st tender and got chairs and umbrellas right by the water. We rented a family sized float and used it all day. My 14 year old went on a glass bottom paddle boat with a friend. My 7 year old just played in the crystal blue water. I didn't love the BBQ. We had to move very far away to avoid the flies that were attacking our food.

Next time, I will eat brunch on the ship and go to the island a little later around 11:00 or 12:00.

caren answered your question about the rafts, they rent BIG round ones (that can seat quite a few people!!) and a smaller personal size (rectangular) for one person. I don't know the cost, maybe caren will answer that question.

You CAN swim to where the reefs are, you will need to be a pretty good swimmer to swim out as far as you are allowed to go, I did not go that far, but my DH did. He enjoyed it!!! The fish are pretty much every where, try swimming to the right of the beach, (where the large rock formation is and where there is a lifeguard sitting on top). There is a drop off where so many large pretty fish are, gosh it was TOTALLY COOL, it was like swimming in an aquarium!!!

Have FUN!!

Suesan

wow,iv never heard/read advice like you just gave..sounds like you were a bit pissed about not being able to"cut"the line.???

however im concerned about lunch being over before the last tender reaches the Island???can you or anyone expand on this...i have no need for laying on the beach(i can do that in jersey)but i would like a good lunch and a drink or two....other then that,explore and some snorkeling(iv got my own gear)...

Yes, I'll respond....though I'm tempted to ignore you completely due to your rude response.

First, we did not attempt to "cut the line" as we were suite passengers and entitled to priority (when you pay more than others, you're allowed "perks").

Lunch was being packed up by the time we got over on the tender. All that was still left from lunch was fruit (complete with flies crawling on it). When we mentioned that we'd just gotten over on a tender, they sent us to the ice-cream stand. (An added cost, by the way). However, my then 9 year old was starving, so we bought her one.

Drinks are plentiful, but we didn't avail ourselves of them. Being divers, we know the dangers of mixing water and alcohol. (We bring our own gear, as well, but be forwarned, you MUST wear NCL's snorkel vest and the check-out and check-in on that item took at least 20 minutes each).

To anyone I've offended here, I'm sorry. I just didn't think that the island was worth the "cost". If there ever is a next time on GSC, we'll stay on board the ship.

Well, the last tender back to the ship is 3:30, so figure the last one to the island is around 3:00. I think it's safe to say lunch will pretty much be over at that time of day.

However, by 1:00/1:30? No way. We left to go back to the ship a little before 1:00 and the BBQ was still fully underway when we left.

We rented the smaller floats (which doubled as something to lie on in the sun--they were great)--they are longer than I am (5'4") and wide enough to be quite comfy. They cost us $5 each. Also, we went to the right where it's a bit rockier in the water (coral actually) until you walk out a bit. There is indeed sand on the right side--and you can swim. We asked 2 NCL folk who said it was OK. Not a great hangout for little kids, but for adults who want a bit more room it was great.

Yes, I'll respond....though I'm tempted to ignore you completely due to your rude response.

First, we did not attempt to "cut the line" as we were suite passengers and entitled to priority (when you pay more than others, you're allowed "perks").

karen sorry if i sounded rude....my point was,that maybe you were put off about the island because you expected to,but could not get off early.

hence my pissed comment.

thanks and sorry that you took it wrong.

Well, the last tender back to the ship is 3:30, so figure the last one to the island is around 3:00. I think it's safe to say lunch will pretty much be over at that time of day.

However, by 1:00/1:30? No way. We left to go back to the ship a little before 1:00 and the BBQ was still fully underway when we left.

We rented the smaller floats (which doubled as something to lie on in the sun--they were great)--they are longer than I am (5'4") and wide enough to be quite comfy. They cost us $5 each. Also, we went to the right where it's a bit rockier in the water (coral actually) until you walk out a bit. There is indeed sand on the right side--and you can swim. We asked 2 NCL folk who said it was OK. Not a great hangout for little kids, but for adults who want a bit more room it was great.

thanks greenie:D

We just got back on 5/22 and I thought I would add in my 2 cents about GSC. We got there about 11:00 as I was on vacation and didn't want to rush to go anywhere. Enough of that at home! I was not impressed at all - no chairs to sit on, no hammocks but there was a picnic table to drop our stuff on. I had looked forward to parasailing there however I was infomred tht the parasail boat didn't come that day. So, disappointed... Then I wanted to rent a large family raft buyt was told that because it was windy they were not renting them that day. So, disappointed....Went to the BBQ and the line was very long although it did move fast but when we finally got there there were flies all over the food. Needless to say, we wnt back to the Dawn and had a great lunch and sat by the pool for the rest of the day.

Why should be allowed to front of the line?

Being certifed divers you brought your own gear and you say you had to use NCL's cbj's? Thats un heard of

Being divers, we know the dangers of mixing water and alcohol. (We bring our own gear, as well, but be forwarned, you MUST wear NCL's snorkel vest and the check-out and check-in on that item took at least 20 minutes each

Being divers, we know the dangers of mixing water and alcohol. (We bring our own gear, as well, but be forwarned, you MUST wear NCL's snorkel vest and the check-out and check-in on that item took at least 20 minutes each).

To anyone I've offended here, I'm sorry. I just didn't think that the island was worth the "cost". If there ever is a next time on GSC, we'll stay on board the ship.

Archived