UBP Update

Just thought I would let you all know what I found out about the UPB. After reading many conflicting reports here on CC, I sent an email to Kevin Sheehan's office because I wanted written clarification BEFORE I board the Breakaway. This is what I said...

My group of 10 is booked on the Breakaway for the July 21, 2013 sailing. I am writing to seek your assistance with clarification on some issues with the Ultimate Beverage Package.

I will be purchasing the UBP for the cabin that my sons will be in...all are over 21, so I am aware that they all need to purchase the package.

I do not want the package for my husband and I, who are in a separate cabin.

After reading many posts on Cruise Critic regarding the package, it appeared to me that not only did everyone in the same cabin need to purchase the UBP, but anyone whose onboard account is on the same credit card would need to purchase the package, as well as anyone in any cabin whose reservation is linked to the cabin purchasing the UBP.

Two days ago I called NCL to make final payment. The rep informed me that my reservation is linked with that of my sons' cabin. I explained my understanding of the UBP and that since I didn't want to purchase it for my cabin, could she unlink our reservations. She said there was no need to do this, since I did not have the correct facts. She even went so far as to check with a supervisor, who confirmed that only the people in the SAME CABIN need to purchase the UBP, but the method of payment for the on board accounts or having reservations linked did not have anything to do with buying the UBP. At that point, she made notes in both of our reservations about this, so that we would not have any issues when we board and try to buy the package.

Fast forward to this morning, when I read the following in the Latitudes newsletter...

*$49 per guest/per day plus a 15% gratuity and applicable taxes. Includes unlimited house, call and premium brand spirits, all draft and bottled beer $5.50 and under, wines by the glass under $10, and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and Great Stirrup Cay.

Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply.

http://www.ncllatitudesmagazine.com/Spring2013/NewsFlash/WhatsNewOnBoard/tabid/99/Default.aspx

At this point, I just want written clarification on the policies of the UBP. If my reservation is linked with my sons', do we all have to purchase the package? If I use one credit card to pay for both on board accounts, do we all have to purchase the package?

I don't understand why your rep told me one thing, her supervisor confirmed it, and yet NCL has written literature stating something totally different. Seems to me NCL staff should be well trained and have correct information before they are expected to answer clients' questions. I would really appreciate an explanation. I'm sure you can access my reservations to see who I spoke to when I made my final payment 2 days ago.

Thank you in advance for your attention to the matter.

This was Sat May 4th...today I got a call from NCL corporate office in Miami. The woman confirmed that the newsletter is correct and what the rep (and supervisor) told me was incorrect...and she could see all their notes in my reservation :eek: She said that we will need to use separate credit cards at check in or we will all be required to buy the UBP. She also said it was too late to unlink our reservations, because they already know we are traveling together...huh?

Bottom line is, I wanted something in writing from NCL that I can take on the ship with me so we don't have a problem. After much back and forth, she did send me an email confirming it...so hopefully that will be good enough. :rolleyes:

One other thing I found out from her...you can purchase the UBP ahead of time over the phone only. However, I couldn't do it because she would have no proof that I'm using separate credit cards for the 2 cabins, so I have to buy it onboard. :eek: This whole UBP has caused me one big headache...lol

Sorry about your confusion, but I guess I can see how it can happen.

for what it is worth, we have traveled with our older children and Mother in the past with us picking up most of the tab.

We ALWAYS put each cabin on a different charge card. Many reason, one of which is knowing which cabin got some extra charges. If you get home and you get a charge from NCL, you have no idea which cabin it is when using only one card.

Just helps keep life separate.

Sorry about your confusion, but I guess I can see how it can happen.

for what it is worth, we have traveled with our older children and Mother in the past with us picking up most of the tab.

We ALWAYS put each cabin on a different charge card. Many reason, one of which is knowing which cabin got some extra charges. If you get home and you get a charge from NCL, you have no idea which cabin it is when using only one card.

Just helps keep life separate.

Yup I guess this is a good idea anyway. I always used one card for all of us, but going forward I'll use different ones. :D

When I took the Star on April 14, from NO,,,I was told from three different reps from NCL that there was not going to be a UBP that date due to the last week of Spring Break,,I confirmed and re-confirmed this info to the other parties traveling with us..Low and Behold,,,I get on the Star and there is the table to sign up for the UBP,,,??? Don't trust information you get from the reps,,,get it in writing.:confused:

When I took the Star on April 14, from NO,,,I was told from three different reps from NCL that there was not going to be a UBP that date due to the last week of Spring Break,,I confirmed and re-confirmed this info to the other parties traveling with us..Low and Behold,,,I get on the Star and there is the table to sign up for the UBP,,,??? Don't trust information you get from the reps,,,get it in writing.:confused:

hahaha I totally agree...get everything in writing :eek:

OK, now you have me wondering. I booked 6 cabins (out of 8) and paid for all 6 on my credit card. If any of those cabins want to buy that package, all others would have top purchase it too? Or since each cabin will use their own credit card when checking in when boarding, they could purchase it just for their cabin? That would make more sense. I assume since since I used my PCC at NCL that all of the cabins are indeed "linked" I doubt any of us will purchase it, since we have 3 days in port and it probably would not be worth it.

Thanks for posting!

Glenn

OK, now you have me wondering. I booked 6 cabins (out of 8) and paid for all 6 on my credit card. If any of those cabins want to buy that package, all others would have top purchase it too? Or since each cabin will use their own credit card when checking in when boarding, they could purchase it just for their cabin? That would make more sense. I assume since since I used my PCC at NCL that all of the cabins are indeed "linked" I doubt any of us will purchase it, since we have 3 days in port and it probably would not be worth it.

Thanks for posting!

Glenn

It's the credit card you use when you check in at the pier. So everyone would need to use a different card if some want the UBP and some don't. It doesn't matter what card you used when you booked the cruise. Hope that clears it up :D

Archived