Norwegian BREAKAPART!! (from on board the 5/19 sailing)

joeski27

Not sure if anyone posted or reported this yet but all day we've been experiencing incredible winds and seas (winds of 40-45, gusts to over 60mph) with seas of at least 10-12 feet. Then this afternoon here in out M6 cabin the dividers started rattling violently, and then, one by one, they started breaking apart at the bolts and welds.

When we get back I'll post photos, but in total on our side of the ship, starting with our balcony, about 4 total balconies lost the end of their dividers (the outermost segment with the rounded top), and which means our M6 just became an M24 ;). There were panels, metal segments, bolts and debris everywhere, and I can only imagine the similar damage elsewhere on the decks (especially up on top). A large team of crew just finished carrying away the debris through the cabins and down the hall, and I think as a precaution they are removing the rest of those divider segments from all rooms and stacking furniture.

The Breakapart is going to need some serious exterior repairs after we limp back into NYC tomorrow. And again I'll post photos when I get home. Incredible. :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if anyone posted or reported this yet but all day we've been experiencing incredible winds and seas (winds of 40-45, gusts to over 60mph) with seas of at least 10-12 feet. Then this afternoon here in out M6 cabin the dividers started rattling violently, and then, one by one, they started breaking apart at the bolts and welds.

When we get back I'll post photos, but in total on our side of the ship, starting with our balcony, about 4 total balconies lost the end of their dividers (the outermost segment with the rounded top), and which means our M6 just became an M24 ;). There were panels, metal segments, bolts and debris everywhere, and I can only imagine the similar damage elsewhere on the decks (especially up on top). A large team of crew just finished carrying away the debris through the cabins and down the hall, and I think as a precaution they are removing the rest of those divider segments from all rooms and stacking furniture.

The Breakapart is going to need some serious exterior repairs after we limp back into NYC tomorrow. And again I'll post photos when I get home. Incredible. :eek:

OMG... Stay safe.... :) Please keep us posted if you can, so we know all are okay.....It is very windy in New York today. :eek:

OMG :eek: Joe. Didn't even think of that happening on the Everything Breakaway thread! Hope you got to enjoy the balcony in Bermuda. The weather there looked beautiful. Stay inside and stay safe.

Just watched the Gem leave NY and it is extremely windy here. Hope you have a good morning coming into port tomorrow.

I remember on one of the Epic's early cruises doors in the bathrooms started falling off. Seems it is one of the pitfalls of a new ship. You never know what will happen. Hope everyone is safe and you are enjoying the cruise despite the balcony fiasco,

Wasn't there a promise somewhere of you guys bringing her back in one piece?

So a couple of hours later and the ship continues to be pummeled by high winds and very rough seas. Obviously we are feeling the worst of it all the way up here at the bow. About an hour ago the crew actually came by room to room and took away all of the patio furniture. Can't vouch for other areas but assuming the same. By the way we ended up with a total of 5 "ajoined" cabins as a result of the damage, and from my angle did spot at least 1 other broken divider about 2 or 3 decks up. So I am fully assuming there has to be similar issues in other places (guessing all furniture must have been taken in from the Waterfront too).

I'd like to get out and see more, but this is just the icing on the cake for me this week. I very badly sprained my ankle on Tues evening on one of the main stairwells (my fault, just missed a step, contorted my ankle on the next step, felt a snap/pop, and the rest was history. And needless to say my cruise was completely ruined from that point on (no snorkeling, no caves, no aquarium, no Hamilton, no Swizzle Inn, no ropes course, and no slides). We've already got all our bags packed and though it's a beautiful ship I just want to go home and try my best to forget this disappointing week ever happened. Just want to get home to the doctor and find out how many ligaments I tore in my foot. Yay.

That's all for now. Going to take a peek outside as I continue to intermittently hear variety metal components breaking and falling every few minutes. :D

So a couple of hours later and the ship continues to be pummeled by high winds and very rough seas. Obviously we are feeling the worst of it all the way up here at the bow. About an hour ago the crew actually came by room to room and took away all of the patio furniture. Can't vouch for other areas but assuming the same. By the way we ended up with a total of 5 "ajoined" cabins as a result of the damage, and from my angle did spot at least 1 other broken divider about 2 or 3 decks up. So I am fully assuming there has to be similar issues in other places (guessing all furniture must have been taken in from the Waterfront too).

I'd like to get out and see more, but this is just the icing on the cake for me this week. I very badly sprained my ankle on Tues evening on one of the main stairwells (my fault, just missed a step, contorted my ankle on the next step, felt a snap/pop, and the rest was history. And needless to say my cruise was completely ruined from that point on (no snorkeling, no caves, no aquarium, no Hamilton, no Swizzle Inn, no ropes course, and no slides). We've already got all our bags packed and though it's a beautiful ship I just want to go home and try my best to forget this disappointing week ever happened. Just want to get home to the doctor and find out how many ligaments I tore in my foot. Yay.

That's all for now. Going to take a peek outside as I continue to intermittently hear variety metal components breaking and falling every few minutes. :D

Wow. So sorry to hear that. I know you had been so looking forward to this trip and sharing it with us. I hope that your foot heals quickly.

OTOH How ironic that they are removing the furniture after so much discussion here. If you had brought all of your balcony goodies, they'd have blown away.

So sorry to hear about your ankle, you must be very dissappointed:(

So sorry about your ankle. It happened to me on a Canada/New England cruise a couple of years ago, at the 2nd port of call, St. John's. Needless to say, after that I spent most of my time in the cabin or on the balcony, w/ankle propped up and taped up. Saw my doctor and went to physical therapy for a long time, and now it's as good as new. Maybe even stronger, as I spent so much time working the ankle leg. Pilates also helped. Hope you have a complete recovery, too. I'll be thinking of you.

Wow! So sorry to hear about your ankle and now the balcony issues. You may have posted this earlier but I couldn't find it, What is your cabin number? I want to try to get a perspective on where all this wind damage is happening. What a story...

OMG first off hope you are doing ok and so sorry to hear about it. Second this is the second ankle injury on this ship. Imminie(Cathy) went last week and broke her ankle first day of cruise dancing hmmm:rolleyes: and to top it off I recall when this ships nae came out some called it breakapart:eek: I am sure her kinks will be ok and so will everyone. Stay warm lousy windy nasty day here

Im so sorry to hear about your ankle I hope its not that bad...that really terrible. I like to think hey, it could of been a leg so it could of been worse so hang in there and get to dr when you get home.

I can't believe what is happening on this ship in just her third voyage. My sister hated the name because of the word Break is in it, guess she was onto something. Lets hope nobody been injured!! Keep us informed and thank you for posting.

Omg. So sorry to hear of the breaking apart and your lousy time. We were on the ship last week and my husband struck up a conversation with one of the engineers who told him that they were having trouble with doors snapping off. Both outside and in. I took a picture of a broken door on the top deck. 254672052_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1369525006.429042.jpg.02a0c220b9dfe6bf718818e08a5d7dd2.jpg

There's nothing worse than being excited about going on a cruise, especially on a brand new ship and having something like spraining your ankle happen! Hope nothing too serious happened and you will return to normal soon!

At least you had beautiful weather in Bermuda! :D

Archived