Just off the Norwegian Jewel yesterday..any ?s

afoss

Hi,

What was your overall impression of the ship itself -- IE. the quality of service and specifically the "freestyle cruising" set-up? Did you primarily eat in the dining rooms or did you find yourself frequenting the specialty restaurants more?

I am potentially considering a RT(W. Carib.) on the Jewel out of New Orleans(W. Carib.) this coming winter, and having only sailed Princess before, I am curious as to other's opinions on how the two lines/ships might compare.

I've been on Princess several times but this was my first on Norwegian. IMO, Princess is an obvious cut above. I liked the free style only because I could be more casual in dress vs changing into something else every night. However, I didn't like having different servers and felt the service was not that great. We never did a specialty restaurant because we felt we were "nickel and dimed" to death as it was. The food was average but decent choices. We took turns between the 2 dining rooms for dinner but buffet for BKFT and lunch. Again, the food was average.

Now, as far as the overall ship, I feel it needs updating. Cabin was "clean" but worn.

Again, all of this is just my opinion. We got a good deal on price so we tried them out. It was fine but I just like Princess and of course, Disney, better.

I've been on Princess several times but this was my first on Norwegian. IMO, Princess is an obvious cut above. I liked the free style only because I could be more casual in dress vs changing into something else every night. Also, it was nice to not have to stick to a seating time. However, I didn't like having different servers and felt the service was not that great. We never did a specialty restaurant because we felt we were "nickel and dimed" to death as it was. The food was average but decent choices. We took turns between the 2 dining rooms for dinner but buffet for BKFT and lunch. Again, the food was average.

Now, as far as the overall ship, I feel it needs updating. Cabin was "clean" but worn.

Again, all of this is just my opinion. We got a good deal on price so we tried them out. It was fine but I just like Princess and of course, Disney, better.

We took the Jewel on May 18th and we felt it was awesome, but then again this i was are first cruise. we ate at the 2 main dinning rooms and only did the buffet for breakfast and lunch one time. we did eat at Cagneys and i felt it was top notch for service and food. we did find the Blue Lagoon to be surprisingly pleasant and good choices. we had an inside cabin on the 11th floor, room number 11019 and we were very happy with the room. our room steward Richard, was the best in my opinion. he was always helpful and kept are room spic and span. we had great weather in every port and i liked the fact the Captain took the ship so far in to Tracy Arm to see Sawyer Glacier. we loved walking the promenade deck 3 times a day after each meal and it was always a refreshing thing to do to work off our meals lol. the entertainment was superb one of our favorite parts of the cruise and i think that Matt Sole does a great job. all and all we liked everything.

we did not do any excursions in Ketchikan but in Juneau we did the Mendenhall Glacier and Glacier gardens and in Skagway we did the White pass rail road trip up and back. we liked them all even though on the way back we wish we would have taken the bus back that way we could have got change in scenery.

Excursions-

Ketchikan-Floatplane to the Misty Fjords-wonderful-landed on a lake got out of the plane and stood on the pontoons of the plane. Saw bald eagles...

Juneau-Whale watching boat-saw 6 whales bubble net feeding-was wonderful

Skagway-Helicopter to glacier-soared over 7,000 feet over the mountains-drank glacier water-treked around the glacier-perfect excursion

Victoria-we walked around the harbor-then found a carriage and took a ride through the historic houses

We had a mid ship mini-suite-great cabin! Found that the Jewel food was overall good-we ate primarily in Tzars for breakfast and dinner. Lunch was either the buffet or in town when we were in port. Did not like Blue Lagoon-had the slowest service...

I think the ship is in good shape for her age and yes it could use some updates-but overall we were very happy with our cruise and would sail her again!

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully the Blue Lagoon service improves. That is my favorite breakfast spot.

I'll be on the Jewel in September. I am going to snorkel in Ketchikan and probably do a whale watch in Juneau.Floatplane might be fun in Skagway but not sure. Victoria we may just wander around.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on the Jewel on the 6/1/13 cruise, we a party of 6 thought it was just fine. One couple ate at Cagney's and thought it was the best steak they ever had. We used the main dining room, Tsar's and had pretty good service most of the time. Food was good, if you see the black bean soup on the menu, it is great. We also used Azura, but thought it was cramped and loud. For breakfast and lunch we ate mostly at the Buffett and Blue Lagoon. We enjoyed the fish & chips,wings at the Blue Lagoon.

Over all the service was pretty good,with just a couple of exceptions, but nothing that would ruin a great vacation. Remember your on vacation, so enjoy, if service is a little slow enjoy the company that is with you, and the beautiful scenery that is just outside the windows.

we had an inside cabin on the 11th floor, room number 11019 and we were very happy with the room. our room steward Richard, was the best in my opinion.

We were on your cruise, in 11006. You probably saw us with our toddler, who learned to say 'hello Richard' and 'Goodbye Richard' very quickly. Richard was awesome..

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully the Blue Lagoon service improves. That is my favorite breakfast spot.

I'll be on the Jewel in September. I am going to snorkel in Ketchikan and probably do a whale watch in Juneau.Floatplane might be fun in Skagway but not sure. Victoria we may just wander around.

I'd strongly recommend the Glacier Explorer excursion in Juneau... you could do the whale thing in the morning if you wanted... the Glacier Explorer actually leaves in Juneau from the ship (pulls up along side like a tender while Jewel is still docked) and heads out a half hour ahead of the Jewel... It was a wonderful time - great crew and an amazing excursion. We saw several whales, countless bald eagles, went right up navigating through the ice as safely close as possible to the Sawyer Glacier... even saw a giant 'shooter' about when we were heading out... then went up and saw the other Sawyer glacier and met the Jewel up in the channel. There was NO comparison between our pictures of the glacier and those available from on the Jewel.

Anyway, just IMO.. have a great time!

Ah so the trip basically takes the same path as the cruise ship but you go closer? Is this excursion later in the day? We are at Juneau 2 to 10pm. Did you do the version with or without the "picnic" dinner? It didn't really occur to me that we would see whales normally on the cruise. Not sure why haha. Maybe we can skip a specific whale watching thing altogether. Thanks for the tip!

We were on your cruise, in 11006. You probably saw us with our toddler, who learned to say 'hello Richard' and 'Goodbye Richard' very quickly. Richard was awesome..[/QUOT

my better half thinks she remembers seeing 3 but i am not sure, but i think Richard was awesome. i am soo glad we were on the floor that we were on. next time we go on the jewel we will be getting one of balcony rooms on the 11th deck.

What company did you do your helicopter / glacier tour with in Skagway afoss? We're booked with one for August and I'm wondering if it's the same one. Thanks!

Helicopter-Temsco (sp?)

Whale Watching-Dolphin

FLoat plane-Southeast aviation

Would you please comment on the dress for the formal night? Was there one? We don't want to have to haul dressy clothes as well as all the outdoor wear. I heard that Alaska cruises were much more informal.

Thanks

We were on the jewel the first week in June, on dress up or not night we didn't see a lot of formal attire. I was in dockers with shirt and tie, DW in a dress. Didn't see any tixs that I recall. Remember it's vacation. :-) there were also a lot in jeans, etc.

well its been a few weeks sense the cruise and i am missing it, but i found the site that shows the bridge cams of the Norwegian Cruise lines and i am seeing the jewel heading Sawyer Glacier it is so cool to watch. it looks like nice weather there today. for those of you like me who like to track the ship it is fun to see where it is.

I just got back from Hawaii and took NCL for the first time. The entertainment was not good and now I am weary of NCL. How were the shows on the Jewel?

me and my better half liked the shows really well, we felt that it was comparable to a vagas show. but thats just us. we felt that the entertainment on the ship was one of the best parts of the cruise.

me and my better half liked the shows really well, we felt that it was comparable to a vagas show. but thats just us. we felt that the entertainment on the ship was one of the best parts of the cruise.

Thank you, that puts my mind to ease a little.

Archived