Photo review Corinth and surrounding areas

Ssislandgirl

Hello everyone,

We had a day in port in Piraeus in September 2014 while cruising on the Celebrity Constellation. The ship was docked from 6am to 6pm. This was our third visit to Athens and this time we wanted to venture out into the countryside and leave the hustle and bustle of the big city behind. On a previous stop in Piraeus in 2013 we met a friendly and very knowledgeable taxi driver, whom we stayed in contact with. He made several suggestions for excursions away from the city. We decided to visit the Canal of Corinth and the surrounding areas. This is a very picture laden report of our day. Hopefully it will be helpful to fellow cruisers in planning their itineraries

IMG_1195.JPG

Aris picked us up at 7:30 in the morning to get an early start. The cab comfortably seated 4 passengers.

IMG_1196.JPG

After about 1 hour, we arrived at the canal. It connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf in the Aegaen Sea. It separates the Peloponnese from the Greek mainland, transforming the former peninsula into an island. The canal is 4 miles long and only 70 feet wide at it's base. Construction was started in 1881 and completed in 1893. Due to its narrowness and periodic closures to repair landslides from its steep walls, it failed to attract the level of traffic anticipated by its operators. It is now used mainly for tourist traffic.

IMG_1197.JPG

DSC_0388.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

DSC_0392.JPG

We continued on to Ancient Corinth.

DSC_0400.JPG

DSC_0401.JPG

The archaeological site is dominated by the Temple of Apollo.

IMG_1212.JPG

Some impressions from the site

DSC_0411.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

We were the only visitors at this site, beating the buses by about 45 minutes. It pays off to get started early.

DSC_0418.JPG

We continued on through the typical Greek landscape ....

IMG_1206.JPG

We hiked around the area's paths for a little while,

DSC_0473.JPG

Then made our way to the temple of Zeus in Nemea.

DSC_0468.JPG

The University of California is heavily involved in the reconstruction process and is honored by having a square named after them.

DSC_0479.JPG

Nemea is also an area very famous for its wine production.

DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0478.JPG

Grapes are being harvested by hand

We visited a very nice, family owned winery....

IMG_1207.JPG

...tasted some of their wines

IMG_1208.JPG

And received a lot of information on wine production. The Lady in the picture is cleaning out the storage tanks.

IMG_1209.JPG

That's all that is left....

DSC_0476.JPG

We also saw how raisins are laid out to dry.

After the wine tasting Aris took us to another bridge at the Canal of Corinth. This time we could witness how a bridge submerges to let tourist boat go through the canal.

IMG_1210.JPG

DSC_0519.JPG

DSC_0522.JPG

Car traffic and pedestrians have to wait patiently for about 30 minutes until the bridge reappears.

DSC_0527.JPG

Sea level view of the canal

DSC_0542.JPG

After all the wine tasting we were getting hungry and what better place to eat at than a local seafood restaurant right on the beach in the small town of Loutraki.

IMG_1211.JPG

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0551.JPG

DSC_0552.JPG

The food was very fresh and delicious. Local Ladies on the table next to us told us what to order and how to eat it. Greeks share large platters of food family style.

DSC_0560.JPG

After walking around the waterfront for a while, we continued back to Piraeus, where we arrived around 4:30pm. It was a great way to spend the day. No crowds at all.

DSC_0566.JPG

Some impressions from the port of Piraeus.

DSC_0569.JPG

DSC_0592.JPG

Watching a beautiful sunset as we are sailing towards Kusadasi

Thank you so much for your review of your day trip to Corinth and area.

Love your pictures.

We were there in 2013, took the Constellation ship tour to Coriith, and canal.

I loved the museum at Corinth and the whole site. Our guide was great. It early Nov so we had no crowds either.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Are you willing to share the contact info for your taxi driver and price paid? We are headed into Athens where we have already been and thought a trip to Corinth could be nice. Did the driver fill you in with info and facts as well or did you use a guide book? THANKS!

Hi KeyKeyVt and fcleiser3,

Thanks for your interest in this thread.

I am more than happy to share the info. Our cab driver's name is Aris Botsas. He owns Astron Taxi. His e-mail is astrontaxi@gmail.com. His website is astrontaxi.com

I can highly recommend his services. He is very reliable and knowledgable, but is not allowed to accompany you into the sites since he is not a professional tour guide. So, for our Athens visit 2 years ago and the excursion last year, I brought my guide book along to visit the Akropolis,etc at our own pace.

Here is a link to my blog for that particular day

http://pandbtraveladventures.blogspot.com/2013/12/september-30th-2013-athens.html

I apologize for the picture quality. I just had a small point and shot.

KeyKeyVt,

I don't recall what we paid, just that it was very reasonable

• 4 weeks later...

Loved your photos. Having done Athens on a previous cruise, we were thinking about Corinth on our Equinox cruise this September. We have definitely made up our minds! My h and I are both ancient history fans.