Long Beach Hotel/Port Review

trnmba

Just got back from the Carnival Paradise last week. Prior to the cruise we stayed at the Coast Hotel Long Beach. They had a Park and Sail rate for $165.00 per room. Included transporation to the port, bay view room, breakfast for 2, parking for car and pick up from the port at the end of the cruise for $165. I flew into LAX and got picked up by a friend who was going on the cruise also but if you don't have a car you can take Super Shuttle to the hotel from LAX and then the hotel will take you to the port. Nice hotel, great location to the cruise port. We could see the ship in the morning and it look less than 5 mins to get to the port. The hotel is very nice, breakfast was just a buffet but you could eat right outside on the patio overlooking the bay. Nice walkway in front of the hotel along the bay, water taxi service and Catalina Island Express Boat also w/in walking distance. We took the Catalina Express to the Island for the afternoon/dinner the day before the cruise (left at 2:00PM and came back on the 7:00PM). Had a great time, golf cart around the Island and great dinner. Long Beach also had a ton of stuff to do and the hotel shuttle indicated they would drop you off. The Aquarium is right there if you have kids. Great restraunts and shops along the bay. In front of the Hyatt Hotel you can rent paddle boats. I have seen alot of folks mention that their is not anything to do in Long Beach but their really is and they have cleaned it up a lot. If you are on a cruise that misses Catalina as a Port stop then it's a great thing to do the day or afternoon before. You kind of get an extra port out of it and get more excited about your cruise the next day!

Thanks, I just booked the West Coast Hotel for the night before our Carnival Pride cruise and bought the Sail, Park & Stay package even though we won't have a car. For our date 10/29 we got $145 including taxes and all the features you mentioned. It ends up being cheaper than the AAA/AARP rate and includes breakfast. Is it easy to get the Catalina Island Express Boat? I would like to do that if the weather is favorable. We have been to Long Beach and visited the QM years ago. After a long flight from the Left coast, we will want to relax and enjoy something new.

Bon Voyage

Thank you for the review:) I am staying in Long Beach in October!

Luckly we got the Hilton FREE:D (points) LOL

I have to wait 2 more months:eek:...oooyyyy......

The Catalina Express was very easy! They have two locations, one in Long Beach (across the bay from the hotel -- the hotel might drive you if you ask) and one w/in walking distance near the Queen Mary). We reserved the tickets in advance via their Web Site but I saw lot's of folks w/out a reservation. It was great weather and was a great way to relax. The boat ride is just under 1 hour and we had champange on board (they sell drinks and snacks) and enjoyed watching the view and the water. Once you get to Catalina, you can walk from the boat to all of the shops and places to eat and you can pick-up a golf cart right there as well if you want to drive around the Island.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that we checked in early for our cruise (around 1130am). Carnival uses the Queen Mary for early check-in. It was kind of neat because we then walked around the Queen Mary for awhile while we waited to board.

The only thing I did not like about the Coast was the sheets. I thought they were kind of rough. However, everyone else was fine and it is a cute little place. They have a nice pool as well if you don't want to go do anything!

Super Shuttle is www.supershuttle.com. I use www.karmel.com, as I travel solo and they don't do the cruise around the airport looking for more fares routine. They have given great sevice and their drivers seem safer than the other shuttles. The other major service, Prime Time has had a lot of problems including getting kicked out of all the Southern California airports for lack of insurance and having vans cited by the California Highway patrol for unsafe equipment, so you probably want to stay away from them.

If you want a cheap fun waterfront tour, take the water taxi: http://www.lbtransit.com/aqualink.html

Thanks ronrythm! Didn't think I'd get a reply back so quick! And thanks for the Karmel website, I'm going to check that out too since we're travelling with two kids and safety is an issue since we weren't thinking about bringing booster seats for them.

Hi Ron,:) I checked out the Karmel shuttle website. I see they are twice the price of supershuttle. It shows 34.50 from LAX to the LongBeach Hilton. Supershuttle is 17.00. I don't mind riding in the van for a bit;) that savings is 2 or 3 marintis on the ship for me (I sail solo too).

Hi Lois

It's riding in the van 3 times around LAX which is always crowded, people honking their horns, cutting across lanes, parking in the middle of the road and generally causing mayhem while the driver stops at every terminal to look for more fares. An extra half hour of that is not worth the extra money to me, I'm on vacation and I'm trying to de-stress. I'll find the money for my Meyers and cokes (with a lime, please, we must avoid scurvy when at sea) elsewhere.:p

That said, I have used Super Shuttle in the past and had no other problems. If I have a large group and can get an exclusive I may use them in the future. But Karmel's quality of service has been so outstanding and they only go to LAX for reservations, so I will continue to recommend them first. In example, on my trip back from the Elation in July, I was 3 hours late leaving Houston due to weather problems. Karmel still had a van at the terminal to pick me up 5 minutes after I called them. They had checked on my flight and noted the delay.

On my next cruise, New Years Day, on the Pride, I will avoid shuttles entirely and drive down to the dock. I just wish the Carribean was that close:D

Of course the main thing is to get to the ship, even if you have to walk!:D

Enjoy

Ron

Thanks again Ron for the helpful info. I love feedback and that's why I just keep checking the boards for more and more!

Okay, so tell me since I'm new to this board...where can you get a countdown timer? I've been going to Carnival's website everyday just to see the their counter for me! LOL!

We are doing a princess cruise next March out of san pedro/long beach is this hotel also convient for princess cruises? or is it only carnival that leaves from near this hotel?

It is only Carnival that sails out of the old Spruce Goose dome/Queen Mary area at Long Beach. Closest hotel is the Coast. There is a good direct rate for Sail, Park & Stay on their web site including breakfast buffet and taxes which is cheaper than the AAA rate,

Bon Voyage

• 5 weeks later...

Archived