Puerta Vallarta: Dolphin Swim vs Dolphin Encounter?

scrapcreator

Dd (10 really wants to do the dolphin thing on our 10/16 cruise. I know that she can't go alone, so either my dh or I will need to go in with her. She is a good swimmer. So, I need your experienced help with a few questions:

How big of a group is in with the dolphins? How much "real" time is spent with them?

What is the difference between the two excursions (besides swimming)?

Since one of will be with dd, can the other take pictures close by?

I've read reviews that said it was well worth the $$ and I imagine that it will be an experience of a lifetime. I might have to arm-wrestle dh for the job, lol!

TIA for your help.

Jeanne

My DS who was 13 at the time and I did the PV Dolphin Swim last year while my DD (15) and DH did the Dolphin Encounter. The Dolphin Swim was wonderful. There were about10 people in our group and one of the kids was about 8 so your DD should be fine.

I think we spent about 2 hours or so but I don't quite remember exactly. I didn't feel rushed at all. Your DH should be able to take pictures from the viewing area and the folks at the Dolphin place take pictures and a video you can boy. If course they aren't cheap :) We bought some pictures but not the video.

For the difference in price, the dolphin encounter is not worth it. All you do with that is touch the dolphins whereas in the swim you actually swim with the dolphins.

I would say this excursion is one of my son's and my cruise highlights.

Elise

You wear lifevests during the swim. We had 4 dolphins (3 adults and a calf) for about 8 people during the Swim. We were in the water during the swim for 30-40 minutes. One of the highlights is that you get to grab onto the dolphin's fin (one person on either side) and have the dolphin pull you around the pool. They also have the dolphin kiss you. Vallarta Adventures staff take photos for purchase. If you want a good close up photo, you will have to buy from them as they do not allow non-paying individuals near the pool area (there is a spectator area, but the angles and views are not good for a memorable photo).

It is very well done. I agree that the Swim is the way to go. The swim filled up fast on our cruise, and several people who wanted to go on the swim had to settle for the encounter. Book pre-cruise if you can.

stebul

We did this in the Bahamas and it was worth every penny. Go for the swim - more time and more personal. We brought the disposable underwater cameras in the lagoon with us and they worked great. We also purchased the photo album and it seemed like we got a little more 1 on 1 time with the dolphins so they could take the pictures. Yes, it was expensive, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps :D

My DD (34) will being doing the Trainer for a day there. She will spend about 6 hours there and is looking forward to doing it. She said that the $275.00 will be worth every penney. I wish I could do it also but will be doing the zip lines at that time with DS (40). DW will be shopings LOL.

Just did the Dolphin Adventure in PV last Wed. with my DD who is 8...she loved it!! So did I, it was as experience of a lifetime. Just a note, they split us in three groups of about 10 each, 2 dolphins with each. Everyone wears a vest otherwise you'll be tired of treading water after 30 minutes plus! I believe they may have discontinued the pulling for a ride portion but the rest was a wonderful experience. We bought the DVD and have watched it 3 times already today!

Just a note, my DH and DS were in the observation area and it was much too far for him to take pictures of us so we were stuck buying them through Dolphin Adventures. Have fun!!

Jeanne, it's your thread so you can ask what you want! lol!

We had an awesome time. My two kids are now addicts as well at the age of 7 and 3 (I noticed I put 8 for my daughter in my post! She's always telling people she's 7 1/2, almost 8, too funny). I'm in complete cruise withdrawal. I'm about to start writing my review on the Pride tomorrow, but I can only say, you have as much fun as want to have. There are people that are going to nit pick and find something wrong with whatever or where ever they go, and trust me you find those people very quickly on board. But I thought the cruise director was funny, everyone working on the ship was friendly, nice, smiling, and busy cleaning EVERYTHING! One thing I'll note in my review, someone made a remark about the carpet in the halls being run down for being a new ship. Well let me tell you, it's passengers that are responsible for that. I was surprised how sloppy and noncaring people were with their room service trays or just trays of food they brought back to their rooms. Spilled drinks, food, you name it they did it. And the employees were right out there cleaning the mess up with carpet cleaners. But it was great. If you have any questions please feel free to email, I've kept my Capers from the trip and can tell you only what I know or experienced. (doryv@yahoo.com) But you'll have fun. In Mazatlan we booked with Mazatlan Frank and had a great time on a 6 hour+ tour, he definitely is terrific. In Cabo we made it a lazy day with our own itinerary. Hope this helps, or just email me!

Dory

DoryV~

Was wondering if you could tell me how far away the Dolphin Adventure in PV is from the ship dock. DS(5) is going to do the Kids Encounter and I'm trying to gauge how far it is. Thanks for you help.

Lynn

Why contribute to such a cruel industry? Most people don't realize that dolphin are so intelligent that humans have not been able to measure the intelligence. It's believed that they are at least as smart as a kindergartner. They have a natural daily range of about 60 miles - how do you think they feel in their tiny pens? Fishermen are capturing dolphin in the hope that they can sell them to these "swim with dolphins" businesses and when they aren't sold they are often destroyed. Please consider the alternative - observing dolphin in their natural habitat. There are more and more excursions that can take you out to see them and possibly, quietly swim with them.

Please consider the alternative - observing dolphin in their natural habitat. There are more and more excursions that can take you out to see them and possibly, quietly swim with them.

MMM. I have seen this post before.

Can you provide and specific examples of such excursions in the Mexican Riviera? Specifically, allowing someone to swim with them. Thanks.

Yes, I have some reservations about this as well...I would love to get in the water and interact with dolphins, but I wonder how much of an exploitation it is. In the brochure it says they do it for dolphin conservation, hoping that by having this experience we will be more aware of conservation issues. Is that just BS? Are these businesses just contributing to poaching?

When my boyfriend and I were on our Alaskan cruise last year, we were thrilled to see whales and dolphins and orcas from the boat or on a whale watch. But when we arrived at Vancouver, we made the mistake of going to the aquarium. Don't get me wrong, it was a lovely aquarium, but seeing whales and so forth swimming around in tanks surrounded by screaming kids on field trips was just about the most depressing contrast to our cruise experience that we could have picked. We resolved never to do that again, even knowing that in this case, the animals were there for a reason and probably couldn't live in the wild for whatever reason.

Did anyone have a similar feeling about the dolphins in these excursions?

And finally, on the Holland America website (the cruise we'll be on) they list a wild dolphin and snorkel excursion. The description is vague, but it sounds like a long sail on a catamaran to an area where dolphins might interact with the boat, and some snorkeling and kayaking available. Anyone have experience with an excursion like that?

Thank you,

Tanya

Here's one company I found, http://www.ecotoursvallarta.com . I know there are others in Mexico that I researched previously and there are similar outfits all over the world. Some take you to dolphin habitats to observe from a larger boat. Some are kayak excursions that take you to see a pod of resting dolphin, some allow you to snorkel with dolphin. Just Google for alternatives to swimming with captive dolphin. Isn't it enough to see these creatures in their natural habitats?

I checked out their website, thank you! They seem like a very responsible, environmentally conscious company. I get the impression that they may not work with cruise ship passengers much, though. A lot of their tour schedules wouldn't be compatible, or would be cutting things awfully close.

Have you come across any other companies like that?

DoryV~

Was wondering if you could tell me how far away the Dolphin Adventure in PV is from the ship dock. DS(5) is going to do the Kids Encounter and I'm trying to gauge how far it is. Thanks for you help.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

It took about 20 minutes to get from the pier to where we were, hope you enjoy your cruise and DS enjoys his Encounter!

Hi Lynn,

It took about 20 minutes to get from the pier to where we were, hope you enjoy your cruise and DS enjoys his Encounter!

Thanks for your help Dory!

Can't believe the cruise is finally here.

Take care.

Lynn

Why contribute to such a cruel industry?

I found an interesting link, tho a bit dated. After a cursory reading, I conclude that Valarata Adventures follows some of the better practices within its industry.

icon6.gif

http://csiwhalesalive.org/csimexcapen.pdf

I appreciate seabreezers concerns, however, and am considering if I should not support this industry.

The report recomends a variety of controls & regulations, as well as:

6. Close Aragon, Atlantis, Divertido and Guadalajara facilities due to the high mortality rates registered, and close any other facilities having chemically treated water, outdated installations and reduced dimensions.

Waltz Paul - thanks for the informative PDF about the Dolphin industry in Mexico. It's almost too painful to read but "consumers" really should educate themselves about this industry in general and realize that more tourist destinations are offering this activity and there's no way that all those dolphins can be treated humanely. This industry is growing in response to consumer demand so we are the ones who can control its future.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from PV Dolphin Adventures and did the Trainer-for-a-Day program. I was very impressed with their professionalism, and the care and affection shown for the dolphins.

I was in a group of only 4 "Trainers" that day. It was a wonderful experience, doing everything they offer (Encounter, Swim, Sea Lion experience), and got a chance to meet with the Vet and found out more in-depth info than one would otherwise. We had about a half-hour in another part of the complex where a mother dolphin & calf stayed, along with other dolphins in training. We were left to interact with them as we wished, short of jumping in with them. (Actually, we were given goggles so we could jump in with a fence separating us from them, to "hear" the dolphins communicating.) We "shadowed" a trainer (in 2 teams of 2) through one of the "swim" sessions, putting vitamins in squid (really!) for the dolphins, and were given the opportunity to do one of the "hand commands" during the "swim" routine. That was unexpected, and quite a treat! Of course, that made it onto the video (for us!).

It's a long day (9:45 to 3:45 or so), but it was a wonderful experience. You are given lunch, a cap & T-shirt, the DVD and a photo. I learned far more during this day than I would have otherwise. Again, the care, and affection, shown the dolphins was undeniable, and I'd highly recommend the program to anyone who has the time in PV and a curiosity for these programs. I have a new-found respect for the dolphins, and the people who interact with them there.

JMHO,

Paul

Go to wildlifeconnections.com and read the description. The Dolphin Tour is from 9:00 - 12:30 starting at the Marina and includes a light breakfast, snacks for 650 pesos ($62) per person with a 10% discount for booking online. This is actually a research organization and they conduct the tours to help offset their expenses. They track about 350 dolphins in the bay year round and know exactly where they are. They can't guarantee you'll be able to swim with them but state that you will probably get to swim with them. There are lots of babies right now. I'd personally much rather see them in the wild up close rather than swim with them in captivity. There's also the advantage of going out with a marine biologist and really learning about them and the habitat.

Archived