Help! Want to cruise with a family of 5

saintHJr

I am planning my first 'family' cruise for spring of next year - that is with my wife and 3 children (ages 3 1/2, 3 1/2 (twins), and 2). Does anyone have any suggestions as to which cruise line would be best for us? In looking at some of the cruise websites it looks like 4 is the maximum number of people in a room.

Thanks!!

- H

Royal Caribbean - Nordic Prince - Bermuda - 1988

Carnival Cruise Line - Fantasy - W Caribbean - 1992

NCL - Windward - E Caribbean - 1994

NCL - Dreamward - Bermuda - 1998

Princess Cruiseline - W Caribbean - 2001

We went on the Norwegian Dawn in an AB suite and had 5, 3 adults, 2 kids. Plenty of room, but not cheap.

I've heard of others getting one outside room and the inside room across the hall, one parent stays in each. Connecting rooms may also be an option, but book early. Unfortunately, most regualr rooms aren't setup for more than 4.

Some of Carnival's ships accomodate 5 people in a room (4 true beds and 1 rollaway). I believe it is their Fantasy Class ships. The other options, especially since your children are so young, is connecting rooms. They are available on many ships and in different cabin categories.

Because your kids are quite young, I'm betting that you wouldn't be comfortable with them in another cabin unless it was connecting and you could leave the door open. The previous poster is right... connecting rooms book early, but they are a great choice because you can get two bathrooms.

That said, at least on RCCL, all of the suites can accomodate 5 (one in a rollaway or porta crib) and depending on the 3rd/4th/5th person rates, this can actually be economical because you are only paying full price for 2 instead of 4 as you would be with two cabins.

Good luck!:cool:

I beleive that Celebrity and RCCL have regular rooms for 5, including on Celebrity FV and FO that will accomodate 5. I know

Celebrity had rooms with two uppers and two lowers and a sofa bed, and i think they will allow two adults and three children in these rooms, but book early.

Carnival's Fantasy class and Destiny class ships accommodate 5 in a cabin; we booked all of us in a balcony cabin on Carnival Victory last year. It can be tight when everyone's getting ready for dinner, but it's manageable. There were the two beds, a convertible sofa, pull-down bunk, and rollaway.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which cruise line would be best for us? In looking at some of the cruise websites it looks like 4 is the maximum number of people in a room.

I know RCI and Celebrity have family staterooms that can accomodate 5 people. I'm sure other lines do as well. RCI currently has 3 options for families of 5 or more, but will be gaining alot more types next year when the Freedom of the Seas sails. The family oceanview stateroom (FO) has two twin beds that can become a queen, plus 2 bunk beds in a separate area, plus a sitting area with a sofa bed. The Royal Family Suite (RFS) has 2 bedrooms with two twin beds that can become a queen, plus one has 3rd and 4th pullman beds in it as well, two bathrooms (one with shower, one with tub), living area with double sofa bed, balcony, concierge service. Then as somebody mentioned the suites can accomodate a family of 5 even though the websites don't mention this.

You can't book these via websites because websites only allow bookings for up to 4 people. So if you want to know pricing and availability you'll either need to call and talk to a TA or call each cruiseline individually.

I am planning my first 'family' cruise for spring of next year - that is with my wife and 3 children (ages 3 1/2, 3 1/2 (twins), and 2). Does anyone have any suggestions as to which cruise line would be best for us? In looking at some of the cruise websites it looks like 4 is the maximum number of people in a room.

Thanks!!

- H

Royal Caribbean - Nordic Prince - Bermuda - 1988

Carnival Cruise Line - Fantasy - W Caribbean - 1992

NCL - Windward - E Caribbean - 1994

NCL - Dreamward - Bermuda - 1998

Princess Cruiseline - W Caribbean - 2001

Hello

Why don't you give us a try on the Triumph in April. We can take 5 to a cabin and this is a family group cruise! Great Prices if you book with our group! Check out our rates! Click on my banner for details! Or e-mail me my e-mail is chucksta@conknet.com

We were told that you can't book 5 in a cabin on any of the newer ships because of fire code regulations that went into effect a few years ago. The exception is if you book a larger family suite, but these tend to be hard to get and very expensive.

The new fire code regulations only apply to newer ships, however so you can still get 5 in a regular-sized cabin on some of the older ones. We successfully sailed with 5 in an inside cabin on Carnival Elation.

If you cruise one of the older ships with 5 in a regular cabin (as opposed to a family suite), it ends up being very economical because you only have to pay full fare for the first 2 people. The other 3 all get 3rd/4th person rates.

Your kids would probably enjoy the Disney cruise more, however, it is much more expensive than RCI and NCL. We cruised when our DD was 2 1/2 on Disney and she loved it. We are now traveling with DD now 7 and DD 3 and are going on NCL Dawn. The reasons are the cruise price was cheaper, no airfare and it leaves out of NYC (we live in CT).

I am sure whatever ship you choose, your family will enjoy it!

Archived