Luggage Allowance

johnnyd57uk

Just contacted Cunard re Luggage allowance for return flight to Heathrow from Hamburg with BA. 23kgs allowed but this must be in the form of hand luggage and be able to fit in overhead storage and in accordance with permitted case measurements. . No hold luggage allowed.

This is impossible. I just spoke to Cunard so I am not imagining this. Anyone had any experience of this.

Thanks Hattie,

In pure bewilderment I contacted Cunard again to be told that my 23kgs is definitely hold luggage. That makes absolute sense as it would be impossible to go on even a short cruise using a cabin bag. However the girl I spoke to was absolutely adamant..... "your 23ks for a carry on allowance only". The second adviser told me that it was definitely 23kgs hold luggage allowance but that carry on luggage could be up to 23kgs as well. Here it is in writing:-

British Airways

Economy hold baggage: 23kg per person

Hand baggage: 1 item per person only with a maximum weight of 23kg, plus 1 additional handbag/laptop bag. The maximum weight per bag is 23kg and you must be able to lift your bag unaided into the overhead locker. Please refer to the British Airways website for dimension guidelines or if you are travelling with infants.

Does that really mean you can bring a maximum of 46kgs per person. All I can say is Wow

Edited by johnnyd57uk

Cruiseluvva,

Many thanks. Yes thats an amazing allowance. Not sure how I got the original misinformation from the Cunard adviser which almost saw us cancelling our Cruise. I was trying to imagine how you could get your clothes toiletries jackets shoes into a carry on bag as was being suggested.

Hi Hattie,

Sailing end of May. Just a taster cruise to see what the Cunard ships are Like. Have booked a 9 day on Queen Victoria in October so should be familiar with their etiquette by then. We are newbies with only a few cruises under our belts but I do try and check out everything before departure to keep stress levels to a minimum.

Yes I did read somewhere about people using only hand luggage but dont think I could manage with such meager supplies. I change my clothing frequently and spend a lot of time in the Laundry washing and ironing when available. I do realize not everyone is like this having had to vacate the lift a few times to grasp for fresh air lol.

Wow! 23 kg carry on luggage?? 10 to 14 kg seems to be norm just about everywhere else. Plus 23 kg as 1 piece hold luggage. I just checked the BA website, mostly to read up on the carry on allowance.

You gotta be pretty strong to be able to lift 23 kg over your head into the bin.

Wow! 23 kg carry on luggage?? 10 to 14 kg seems to be norm just about everywhere else. Plus 23 kg as 1 piece hold luggage. I just checked the BA website, mostly to read up on the carry on allowance.

You gotta be pretty strong to be able to lift 23 kg over your head into the bin.

Yes, well that is the problem, plus the size restriction. Unless carrying gold bars, it’s unlikely that anyone would actually be able to fit 23kgs in the size bag permitted. But I managed 16kgs in the summer.

Thanks Cruiseluva,

Yes the onboard allowance is a strange one but being told by the Cunard adviser that I had no hold luggage allowance only what I could fit in the onboard compartment really flummoxed me. They have since confirmed that I have 23kgs hold allowance which I am sure is correct. I just wanted to double check everything as I always do before I travel.