3 nite specialty package?

39august

Just downgraded our cabin from aqua class to concierge class and saved $255 each. Going to buy the 3 nite specialty dining package. Do I understand correctly that the first night is automatically assigned, but you can make reservations for the other two any time? And after boarding you can change the first night? We do not like to eat in a specialty on the first night of a cruise. Any info about this is appreciated as we have never done anything like this before.

Yes, the whole first night thing is interesting.

The website does want you to take the first night, but it offered me 3 time slots. I understand that you can modify that once you get onboard, at least i did the last time.

Please look at the 4 night as well, the difference in price is only $16!

Yes, the whole first night thing is interesting.

The website does want you to take the first night, but it offered me 3 time slots. I understand that you can modify that once you get onboard, at least i did the last time.

Please look at the 4 night as well, the difference in price is only $16!

justcrusn - I do agree with your response that considering the 4-night package is a good idea. On my last cruise, that is exactly what I did for exactly the same reason.

Just downgraded our cabin from aqua class to concierge class and saved $255 each. Going to buy the 3 nite specialty dining package. Do I understand correctly that the first night is automatically assigned, but you can make reservations for the other two any time? And after boarding you can change the first night? We do not like to eat in a specialty on the first night of a cruise. Any info about this is appreciated as we have never done anything like this before.

Hi 39august - I am responding to your post based on my very recent experience on Celebrity Silhouette from December 2017. You did not mention which ship you are on, so I can not be more specific about my guidance below. I will speak only to my experience.

I was on a 12-night Eastern Caribbean cruise in a sunset verandah. My partner and I were ready to try the MDR food again as well as the experience of the service and everything that comes with dining in a large dining venue. Mind you, I have been in several Aqua Class staterooms as well as suites on Celebrity and other cruise lines. Since I have not been in the Blu dining room recently, I will only give you some information on specialty dining and their associated dining packages:

1. When buying a dining package pre-cruise, apparently you can now use your OBC to pay for this. Not sure if you knew that, but thought I would throw it out there.
  2. Upon the purchase of the dining package, you do have to immediately pick your first dinner reservation (day/time) to coincide with either the embarkation day or the following day. You pick your day and time, but you do not pick your restaurant at this time. I could tell you about how things worked historically, but I don't want to confuse how things work today.
  3. Regardless of dining package size (3-night, 4-night, 7-night, etc.), you can only schedule the first night reservation (day/time) before boarding. The other reservations can only be scheduled on the ship.
  4. Upon boarding the ship, you should either find the specialty dining desk or visit any one of the specialty dining venues where a restaurant host is working. Let them know you have a dining package and you want to confirm your first dining time and pick your restaurant location. The host will let you know which options are still currently available.
  5. You can schedule all other dining reservations (day/time/restaurant) upon boarding, but don't wait too long. You may have a challenge to get a reservation in a specific restaurant on a specific day at a specific time. Find out what all your options are and be flexible. Also if you like eating late, it tends to be easier to get into most specialty dining venues at/after 8:00 PM.
  6. Historically, the cruise ship told you which venues you would dine in based on the length of the package. Now, that has all changed. If you wanted to eat in Tuscan Grille or Murano for all the nights of your package, you can do that.
  7. One other thing to note... on my cruise there was an announced special event in Qsine for an Indian Extravaganza. I wanted to use one of my dining package nights to go to Qsine for this special event but was told "NO". I could have booked a reservation for that night; however, it would have been at the going rate for an individual dining venue. I did not want to spend upward of $90 (not sure of the rate as the Celebrity website has now removed this detail).

I hope this helps you with your decision on how to proceed. Enjoy your cruise!

Walter

Walter thanks for all this information. Are you saying that the first dinner MUST be on either night 1 or night 2?

That is correct. Whether you book the package online or through a Celebrity customer service agent, you will be asked to pick the first or second day and a reservation time. All of this will be dependent on what is available at the time when you go to buy the dining package.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.