Kaanapali Luau-Royal Lahaina Resort

Coolcruise02

I have, a couple of times. Nice location, next to the water, although I feel for the people in the nearby hotel rooms. Typical - plastic tables and chairs, pretty decent drinks, good food (most of the luaus actually have good food), fun entertainment. These sorts of luaus are fun, a bit silly, ever-so-slightly tacky. But overall its a good time in every respect.

Also, in years past the RH luau had a deal on one day of the week where kids were free. Dunno if it's still going on, or if it's on the day you'll be there, or if you have kids. Just something to keep in mind.

I've been to this luau (on Maui), Geralds and another on Oahu (can't remember the name). I actually liked this one the best. The food is basically the same at all of them but the show was better here than at the others. It was also a smaller venue so easier to see also.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from our fabulous cruise of Hawaii on the Pride of America! What an awesome trip!!! My full review is on another link here on the Hawaii board.:)

We had prebooked the Royal Lahaina Luau in Kaanapali and were so glad we did! WOW!! What an absolutely fanatastic experience! I can not see what else anyone could possibly want in a luau!!!! This one was INCREDIBLE!!!!! We got there very early and had to wait in line. But we were among the very first in line. They did have reserved tickets that cost a bunch more, and those folks got seated an hour or so earlier than us, but we paid such a great price we did not care! MY DH and I took turns and the other one would go sit down, or walk on the beautiful beach or around the lovely grounds of the Royal Lahaina Resort. It paid off for us as we were seated at a table right next to the stage after we were given shell leis and had our picture taken!! We could not have had a better view. Actually they had the main stage on the side where we sat and I was at the end of the table the VERY closest to the stage, and then there was anther stage along the back by the ocean that they used a bit, but most of the dancing and the live band was on the main stage by which we were seated. The included drinks were plentiful and the alcoholic ones (mai-tais and blue hawaiians) were VERY potent! They also had lots of other beverages including cokes, pineapple and other juices that they brought around to the tables before we went through the buffet. After going through the buffet they quit serving drinks at the tables and you needed to go get your own drinks at the bar area, but it was easy. I only needed two all night as I had that pleasant buzz that made my night perfect! Also, my DH had to drive back to the ship from Kaanapoli to Kahalui, but they had coffee available and he was completely fine by the time we made the pleasant 20 minute or so drive back to the ship.

They also had other fancy drinks available to buy, including ones in souvenir pineapples and coconuts (like on the cruise ships).

The imu pig ceremony was great! My hubby got right up front with his camera and then after they took it out of the underground oven they brought the pig up on the stage for all to see and photograph. Oh MY! The food was DELICIOUS and the buffet lines very easy and super organized!!! The pork just fell apart in your mouth, it was so tender. They also had terriaki steak, lomi-lomi salmon and chicken as well as many side dishes and salads, including, of couse poi. I had to try some, but just a tiny taste. No comment.... They had good cake and some kind of oriental gelatin dessert. I had had that before at another restaurant and it was too bland for me, so I just had chocolate cake - VERY DELICIOUS! The meal was amazing! The wonderful Hawaiian hostess, who had a lovely singing voice and was a great story-teller, actually offered up a traditional prayer before we all went to the well-organized buffet with 6 serving lines and that was a nice touch! But AFTER we ate the real fun began. I have seen plenty of Polynesian style reviews, including the great one we saw pre-cruise at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki, but this one was OUTSTANDING!!! The dancers and the band were all extremely talented, and with a professional actor/singer/dancer son it takes a LOT to impress us! They were extremely professional and the show was a delight! I think there were 8 native dancers, total, maybe 9, plus a three piece very talented native band and the narrator lady. The finale with the fire dancing is something you have to see and experience. Words just can't describe how great it was!! We left feeling we had seen, eaten and imbibed the very best possible luau experience!! Maybe we just hit a super great night - the skies were clear and the temperarure perfect with an almost full moon over the gorgeous sea and beach - but I can not imagine ANY luau being any better than this one!!!!!! We HEARTILY recommend it! (AND we only paid $46. per person in advance on the internet!)

hi Lambs 2

we are also going on the p o h in august and wanted to book the old lahaina luau. Since we are traveling with three kids the price break would be so welcome. How did you get that price? On what website? The Old Lahaina site quoted us about 85.00 per person. So your help would be sooooo appreciated

Thank you in advance.

Kitchacat

I believe that one child is free with each adult at the Royal Lahaina Luau. I had to turn in the paper i printed from the website where I printed the deal we got. We purchased our tickets back in April and I can't seem to find the price as low as we got it back then anymore. Do a web search for Royal lahaina Luau. i know they have an 888 number to call, too.

Re Poi: Don't eat it by itself. That would be like eating unflavored gelatin as a main course, or tofu by itself.

Instead, try a bit of poi with fish, or meat, or any of the main course food. Poi tends to take on the flavor of the food it's served with.

Personally, I've never been put off by its taste. Kind of bland/tart. It's the color that is most intriguing.

(And glad to hear you had a fun time at the RH luau.)

Thanks sceptic! as I'm sure you can tell by my write-up I thought it was FANTASTIC!

By the way anyone who is interested: here is the website where we got the 888 tollfree number and the discounted prices for the Royal Lahaina Luau (called Kaanapali Luau on this website). No timeshare presentation or anything to get this price. You just have to pre-pay with a credit card and then print out your receipt/ticket which you DO have to turn in when you get to the luau. It has gone up a few dollars to 49. each ticket, but is still a great deal and 1 free kid per paying adult!!

http://www.hawaiidiscountactivities.com/reservationrequest/activitylistings.asp?catkey=28&subcat=False&vendorid=&actkey=&page_size=5&current_page=1&island=2&OVRAW=maui%20luau&OVKEY=maui%20luau&OVMTC=standard

thanks lambs 2

Thank you for those links to the luaus. I is so nice of you to share the info. I am very nervous about all the negative reviews coming from the last sailing of the poh . It is a special trip for us because it is our 25th anniversary and I am feeling the pressure of making all of the arrangements and keeping everyone happy.:)

kitchacat

I think the best way to eat poi is to mix it with the lomi salmon (if they offer it) - yum! Others will mix sugar into it ... or the REAL poi eaters will let it ferment a few days and enjoy the sourness of it. (ugh, can't get into that)

Spleen

Guess poi must be an "aquired" taste ----or one you grow up with. That is what one Hawaiian native told me. He just had it at every family occasion, starting with those famous first year birthday parties - so it is just something you expect and eat at family meals!

WOW! I'm so glad to hear that wonderful review! We're flying out this Saturday to Honolulu and will be at the Royal Lahaina Luau in Maui on Friday! Now, I'm really excited! We also plan to drive up to the summit (Mt Haleakala) on Saturday morning to view the spectacular sunrise!:cool:

ALOHA ALL!:D

Salgal

POAL 6-18-06 Honolulu

Good luck making it to Haleakala after the luau the night before! We had that same intention, but with the really busy schedule we had for the preceding days and then the drive over and back to the ship from the luau the night before we just couldn't get up in just a couple hours and be at the summit for sunrise, although I truly wanted to! The alarm went off, but I just slept though it! We drove the road to Hana that day instead.

Thanks for the great review! We are planning on going in December. My issue with not making a reservation directly with Royal Lahaina is if we miss this port. (it is a tendering port) If we pre-pay with the discount tickets what happens if we don't make it. I understand Royal Lahaina will not charge if the ship can't tender. Any ideas? Thanks

Archived