Semesters at Sea

Wennfred

I went out Sailboat Racing today here in San Diego and I saw this ship, I was shocked because I couldn't figure out who it was. Turns out, its a Floating University.

Semester at Sea’s voyages take place aboard the MV Explorer, a 24,000-ton passenger ship built in 2002 and equipped as a floating university. As the heart of the Semester at Sea program, the ship quickly becomes home to students, faculty, and staff. The shipboard campus includes classrooms, study areas, and an 8,000-volume core library that supports the itinerary and the global, comparative academic focus of Semester at Sea. Other facilities include two dining rooms, a student union, a campus store, a swimming pool, fitness facilities, a wellness center, and a health clinic.

140624543_OE-news1_373x280.jpg.1dd96003cbca0db997d6020bfe6c9f5c.jpg

Fall and Spring Cabin Rates

Inside Double (2 berths without porthole) $16,975

Outside Double (2 berths with porthole) $17,775

Summer Cabin Rates

Inside Double (2 berths without porthole) $9,575

Outside Double (2 berths with porthole) $10,175

You actually can work as a staff member on those ships but it is highly competitive.

If you go to the website it has a section on employment. For most positions you are hired for one semester only. Most people who apply have a masters degree in their field or the applicable experience!

I know my application is going in next fall and I would love to see some of yall on there as co workers.

One of the MTV shows, I think it was Road Rules, had a "Semester at Sea" season one year.

When I was in college (early 90s) they had this program, and you used to be able to get equivalent credit for it, just as if you were studying abroad. However, the school administration decided that it was too much fun and not enough studying and stopped granting equivalent credit.

A very good friend of mine just left the other day to be in charge of the Residence Life portion of this summer's Semester at Sea. She is so excited to finally go on Semester at Sea since she has wanted to do this forever. She has a Masters Degree in Education and over 25 years working in Residence Halls. She also loves cruising so Semester at Sea is just perfect for her.

Their teachers at sea program is just a little over $6000 for 65 days. Of course there are no formal meals, entertainers,spas, etc. and the cabins are not luxurious by any means. But the opportunity to travel to places like Russia, Japan for such a small fee is simply enticing. I would love to be able to do this. I wonder if they allow people to bring their families along.

I had a young lady who worked for me a couple of years ago and she did a semester at sea on this ship. They left FLL and went to Cuba, South America, Europe, Egypt (I think) and ended in Seattle. She loved it.

Archived