What Aiport for Crown / NY

Abavus

Our group is considering taking one of the 9d Crown itineraries vs. the more typical Florida ports. One of the variables is airfare, FF miles, layover times, etc. I tried to get a quote out of Travelocity and Expedia just now and they had disabled the ability to select individual flights. I can see that the airfare cost is competitive with Ft Lauderdale from Indiana, but it does not make me feel very good to have the airline names, flight numbers, times, etc. hidden from me until 3wks before boarding.

If we were to sail from NY, what is the aiport of choice? This way I can manually quote airfare and see what's available.

Thanks!

Aba

Choose LaGuardia (LGA) or Kennedy (JFK) based on price. If you use Newark (EWR), the transportation costs to/from Brooklyn could possibly wipe out any savings that you may find. Additionally, transit time Newark to/from Red Hook, at best, is 3 times that of LGA (traffic excepted). Typical non-peak non-construction delay travel times from Red Hook: LGA - 20 minutes, JFK - 40-45 minutes, EWR - 60-70 minutes. Plus, no tolls to LGA or JFK (taxis and car services will charge round-trip tolls, since EWR is out of state).

I'm flying into JFK for my Sept 21st Crown Princess cruise. When I booked my air it was about $75 cheaper, on Delta, to fly to JFK than LGA. I think the cab ride to Red Hook will be more expensive from JFK, but I don't think it will erase the entire $75 savings of flying into JFK.

cruisealot

Thanks for the input! I'll check flights a little closer. I know that Continental offers several cheap direct flights from Indy into Newark (have flown there for business) but dunno about the others. If I can avoid a layover that would make a huge difference, even with additional travel costs.

Oops, I assumed you were talking about JFK or LGA when I responded, and either is fine. I agree that Newark may be an issue as it is in New Jersey and transportation may be high. Somehow when searching for NY only airports, Newark always appears.

EWR Newark 16 miles 45 minutes a cab is $90.00( car services sometimes are less)...

LGA 12 miles 20 minutes $30.00

JFK 16 miles by street $45.00 45 minutes

JFK via Van wyck to LIE to BQE 35 minutes no traffic(never happens) 20 miles $50.00

JFK Via Belt Parkway 24 miles 35 minutes---$60.00

All these assume no traffic as pointed out the Van Wyck way is always some traffic...

the Belt Parkway way can be traffic too...

Also there is Westchester and McArthur Airports(southwest flies here)--- which I think are too far to reasonable use but they sometimes do show up in searches...

EWR Newark 16 miles 45 minutes a cab is $90.00( car services sometimes are less)...

JFK 16 miles by street $45.00 45 minutes

JFK via Van wyck to LIE to BQE 35 minutes no traffic(never happens) 20 miles $50.00

JFK Via Belt Parkway 24 miles 35 minutes---$60.00

All these assume no traffic as pointed out the Van Wyck way is always some traffic...

the Belt Parkway way can be traffic too...

Also there is Westchester and McArthur Airports(southwest flies here)--- which I think are too far to reasonable use but they sometimes do show up in searches...

Thanks for this smeyer, it is very good info to have. I wondered if the fares above are a flat rate, and do they apply from airport to port as well as port to airport at the end of the cruise?

Thanks!:)

Thanks for this smeyer, it is very good info to have. I wondered if the fares above are a flat rate, and do they apply from airport to port as well as port to airport at the end of the cruise?

Thanks!:)

No flat rates except one --they are approximate but accurate...The rate from EWR to Red hook is a flat rate.

No flat rates except one --they are approximate but accurate...The rate from EWR to Red hook is a flat rate.

I forgot to add that they are both ways except to EWR which is different. The official NY City cab rate to EWR is the meter plus round trip tolls and $15.00. plus tip of course. Except for the holland tunnel back no toll. The fastest way and most direct way to Newark Airport from Red Hook is NOT through Staten Island. As long as its a weekend morning this is the way I would go:

BQE East to the Brooklyn Bridge. BB Last exit make a left onto chambers, a right onto Church st and then a left two blocks after canal street into the holland tunnel 1-9 skyway to 1-9 express lanes to EWR no traffic 30 minutes or less....

No Turnpike tolls the only toll back is $5-6 for the holland tunnel. Meter should run about $40.00 plus 15.00 plus toll and tip. about $75.00 to $80.00. This is also the fastest way to Red Hook from EWR(you can't get on the express lanes from the airport back)...The toll on the V-N bridge(going to the airport only is $9.00

What would be your time and cost estimate from LGA to the pier on a Monday morning, leaving the hotel (we are staying at the Marriott LGA) around 10 or so? I guess the departure time would depend on the travel time - we would be aiming to get to the pier around 11. What would you suggest? Thanks!

If you leave the hotel at LGA at 11 AM, you should miss the worst of the traffic. If you leave at 10 AM, you can still hit the tail end of the rush.

Since the taxis are metered (not flat rate), the quicker the trip, the less costly. A 20 minute ride at 11 AM is quite possible, and the $30 fare is about right.

Boarding won't commence until 11:30-noon anyway, so there's no point in arriving too early.

Thanks!

Do you know if there are vans available, that will take several people and charge a flat fare per person? (Like in FLL)

What would be your time and cost estimate from LGA to the pier on a Monday morning, leaving the hotel (we are staying at the Marriott LGA) around 10 or so? I guess the departure time would depend on the travel time - we would be aiming to get to the pier around 11. What would you suggest? Thanks!

I just booked Cadman Car Service for my 07/29 Crown cruise from LGA $43 and if you book a return it is $30 both flat rates. Look on their website. :)

Archived