Congrats To The X Line

NAS-KARR

Since it's a worldwide trend I think the others will follow shortly. They just had the guts to do it first, like they did whith the fuel supplement they gave back to some bookings.The rest had to follow, and it won't be different in this case. Job well done Celebrity

Since it's a worldwide trend I think the others will follow shortly. They just had the guts to do it first, like they did whith the fuel supplement they gave back to some bookings.The rest had to follow, and it won't be different in this case. Job well done Celebrity

They were not the first ... Renaissance Cruise's R-ships were all non-smoking and it was wondeful. And, they're out of business.

I wonder how long it will take for X to reverse this decision. My guess is not too long.

RCL has had this policy for some time now with a $250.00 fine per incident and they have not revert to their previous policy. Many countries in Europe have now banned smoking in all public spaces (indoors and outdoors). This may be a reason the cruise line are changing their ways. Although I am not sure how it will fly with their far east clients.

See how much you learn on these boards! I won't be sailing X again or Royal Caribbean for that matter. My DH smokes and I would rather put up with him smoking on our balcony than not going with me:(

RCL has had this policy for some time now with a $250.00 fine per incident and they have not revert to their previous policy. Many countries in Europe have now banned smoking in all public spaces (indoors and outdoors). This may be a reason the cruise line are changing their ways. Although I am not sure how it will fly with their far east clients.

RCL allows you to smoke on the balcony, just not in the cabin, which is fine and understandable.

I also just made this point on one of the other boards, 20% of the people are smokers, then how come 80% non smokers are complaining that the people in the next cabin are smoking and ruining their cruise??? Sounds like more than 20% to me, and I was also a faithful Celbrity cruiser who has switched completely now to Princess.:)

Why don't they just make some smoking rooms like hotels? Since the $250 fine is listed as a cleaning fee, it seems that their main concerns is the smell that is left behind. I realize this will not make everyone happy because some people will want to have a specific cabin and it is not of the right smoking status. But, at the same time there is obviously a demand for smoke free cabins and the cruise line is meeting that demand.

I know that I would prefer to have a cabin that I knew was not smoked in. Luckily I have never entered a smoky smelling cabin, but I know that others have, and it can make for a very unpleasant vacation.

The cruise line would simply ask you at time of booking, smoking or non-smoking. Since the ship is basically a hotel at sea, it shouldnt be that hard to do.

I find it interesting the comments about how a cruise line will go out of buisness or a ship that goes non-smoking will eventually go back to smoking. More and more places are passing laws were smoking is banned and I think the cruise lines should really look to do the same. I live in Massachusetts and every restuarant, bar, store, public building is non-smoking now. So, when I go to other states were smoking is still allowed, not only is it unpleasant, but unsual for someone that is used to non-smoking environments.

I find it interesting the comments about how a cruise line will go out of buisness or a ship that goes non-smoking will eventually go back to smoking. More and more places are passing laws were smoking is banned and I think the cruise lines should really look to do the same. I live in Massachusetts and every restuarant, bar, store, public building is non-smoking now. So, when I go to other states were smoking is still allowed, not only is it unpleasant, but unsual for someone that is used to non-smoking environments.
Contrary to restaurant, stores and bars, people who board ships are there for days not hours. I'm not sure which you would prefer more - a smoke free environment, or a percentage of the passengers having nicotine withdrawl. Or perhaps you don't understand the behavioral makeup of a smoker? If cruise ships become 100% smoke free, the cruise line stands to lose about 20% of its business - I don't think they will be willing to do that. That being said, I'm all for restriciting smoking in side the ship and providing smoking areas on deck...as long as the non-smokers stay out of them.
RCL allows you to smoke on the balcony, just not in the cabin, which is fine and understandable
I'd like to know how RCI keeps the smoke from the balcony out of the cabin. Whatever the method, they should market it - they could make a fortune.

I guess my DH can simply step off the ship for a cigarette then :eek: ! Hello! This isn't a restaurant, it's our home for 7-10 days. Not exactly the same as a bar. My DH doesn't smoke in our cabin, just outside in the smoking areas or on our balcony.

I guess my DH can simply step off the ship for a cigarette then :eek: ! Hello! This isn't a restaurant, it's our home for 7-10 days. Not exactly the same as a bar. My DH doesn't smoke in our cabin, just outside in the smoking areas or on our balcony.

Not all cabins have balconies, and not all smokers book them. When we were on the Regal, our friend in the next (inside) cabin opened her door when we arrived and all three of us could not even go in. The smell of stale smoke was overwhelming. We had her luggage delivered to our cabin, while the staff had to completely scrub down the cabin, including the carpets. We felt sorry for them, but there is no way she could have stayed in there for the 10 days.

Not all cabins have balconies, and not all smokers book them. When we were on the Regal, our friend in the next (inside) cabin opened her door when we arrived and all three of us could not even go in. The smell of stale smoke was overwhelming. We had her luggage delivered to our cabin, while the staff had to completely scrub down the cabin, including the carpets. We felt sorry for them, but there is no way she could have stayed in there for the 10 days.

I had an inside cabin once and I smoke. There is no way I would smoke in there. I did once, in the bathroom, and blew it into the exhaust. It only takes 5 minutes to leave your cabin and go someplace that has open space or to a deck. Like I said in another post. I dont smoke in my bedroom at home and I wouldnt smoke in a cabin at sea.

My DH doesn't smoke in our cabin, just outside in the smoking areas or on our balcony.

yup... I believe you ... all his smoke blew directly into our balcony - he might as well been sitting right with us! (well not 'your DH' specifically but you know what I mean)

He is exactly why we will be booking with Celebrity next time. We'll help them cut this 20% loss that you're all talking about!

I'm sure your husband is a wonderful guy, I just don't want to risk another room next to him ;)

Jayna K

'He is exactly why we will be booking with Celebrity next time.'

PLEASE book with Celebrity, and leave the other cruiselines to the more understanding, moderate-thinking cruisers.

Smokers and non-smokers CAN coexist peacefully on cruises so long as each respects the other and makes a concerted effort not to offend.

NOW, COULD WE PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD FROM TURNING INTO ANOTHER ANTI-SMOKING RANT-FEST?????? IT GETS VERY OLD, SINCE IT HAPPENS OVER AND OVER, EVERY TIME THE TOPIC COMES UP.

I love Princess, but the non smoking policy on Celebrity certainly appeals to me. Our neighbors on our last cruise were smokers and while it didn't ruin our cruise, it definitely limited our use of the balcony. There were numerous times that we would be sitting on our balcony and when they came out and lit up, we had to go back inside. As ex-smokers ourselves (for 15+ years) it is really disgusting to smell second-hand smoke in any environment. I almost think we're more sensitive to the smell than nonsmokers. Celebrity, we'll be giving you another look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please explain why I can not have an iron in my cabin, but the passengers in the next cabin can have open flames in theirs.

Here we are on the Princess board discussing this when it was just last year Princess had a near catastrophy due to smoking on a balcony.

I admit I have never smoked, but as a father who travels with his family, I would feel far safer on Celebrity than another line that allows smoking.

I don't smoke but have never been bothered by it. I am much more bothered by unsupervised children, and I love kids. Have some even! They have adults-only cruises, no? Maybe they should do the same idea with smoking and leave it at that.:rolleyes:

PLEASE book with Celebrity, and leave the other cruiselines to the more understanding, moderate-thinking cruisers.

Smokers and non-smokers CAN coexist peacefully on cruises so long as each respects the other and makes a concerted effort not to offend.

Flamomo - because I don't care for your smoke on my balcony I am the offensive, un-understanding and non-moderate-thinking' one? Give your head a shake ... and then tell me exactly what I am suppose to únderstand?

Of course cruisers can co-exist as long as each respects the other and makes a concerted effort not to offend - HOWEVER - I am not offending anyone by peacefully, quitely sitting on my balcony BUT you are offending me when your smoke blows in my face and frankly when you smoke you have no control over where your smoke goes so even if your intention is to 'not offend me' the fact is you are going to if you smoke next to me!

Jayna K

Archived