Mendenhall Glacier Shuttle Times

cruise_newbie77

When does the last shuttle depart from the cruise ship dock to Mendenhall Glacier? DH and I will go on an excursion by Coastal Helicopters until 5-5:30 pm. Do we have enough time to visit Mendenhall afterwards? Our ship (NCL Pearl) doesn't leave until 10 pm.

The MGT site says they run from 9am-6:30pm, but I don't know if that means the last shuttle leaves downtown at 6:30 or the glacier at that time.

In any case, you'd have to find a way to get back. There's taxis or the public bus, which takes a walk to the bus stop.

Thanks tee_harbor :). So is there only one shuttle company, this MGT shuttle? Is the public bus a better option for the round trips to/from the glacier? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out our schedule in Juneau, and apparently the forum search engine is currently down.

I think there's another company but MGT has a website I can look at. ;) I believe from previous posts that they all run the same hours--perhaps someone else will post. (I don't take a shuttle, I just get in my own car and head on over.)

The public bus stop is about a mile and half from the glacier, then the bus will take about 45 minutes to get back to town. http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/pdfs/busschedule5.pdf

A taxi should cost about $30 one way. There's also hiring a taxi at the touring rate, I believe $55 a hour. Depending on how many people are in your party, it may be as cost effective to use that, or take the shuttle one way and call a taxi to return.

Thanks again, tee :). We can either get a cab or change our excursion time to a later one so we can visit Mendenhall first. I'm not sure if the glacier has an official closing time but I'm guessing getting there around 6 pm might be a little too late?.

Good timing, I just received the free Juneau tourism magazine through the mail and was looking at the times. MGT hours aren't listed, so I was going to call them and ask. The Mendenhall Visitor Center is open until 6:30pm. They leave the glacier running all night ! :D

Sorry, Mendenhall Visitor Center hours are 8am - 730pm daily. Admission is $3 for adults, free for kids under 16.

The guide says the trails are:

East Glacier- 3.5 mile loop with 400 foot elevation gain, allow 2-3 hours.

West Glacier- Out and back, 3.4 miles each way, 1300' climb, allow 5-6 hours.

Moraine Ecology- 1.5 mile easy loop

Photo Tour Trail- 0.3 miles, 5 minutes, wheelchair accessible

Steep Creek salmon viewing- New trail, wheelchair accessible

The MGT bus is $14 RT and runs every 30 minutes from 9am - 630pm. As the other poster said, their website is unclear whether 630pm is the last bus from downtown or the last bus leaving Mendenhall.

I think there's another company but MGT has a website I can look at. ;) I believe from previous posts that they all run the same hours--perhaps someone else will post. (I don't take a shuttle, I just get in my own car and head on over.)

The public bus stop is about a mile and half from the glacier, then the bus will take about 45 minutes to get back to town. http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/pdfs/busschedule5.pdf

A taxi should cost about $30 one way. There's also hiring a taxi at the touring rate, I believe $55 a hour. Depending on how many people are in your party, it may be as cost effective to use that, or take the shuttle one way and call a taxi to return.

How do you arrange to hire a taxi at the touring rate? Is the rate per person or per car?

Thanks.

How do you arrange to hire a taxi at the touring rate? Is the rate per person or per car?

Thanks.

You can get the cab companies phone numbers before you leave, then call one when you get in port, or they're parked next to The Red Dog Saloon. (Not sure if they're in other locations on the docks--I only go as far as the library.)

I'd recommend Capital Cab (907) 586-2772 or Evergreen (907) 586-2121.

The rate is for the vehicle, not per person. There are minivans, which hold 7 passengers, so that's a good deal if you have a group. I'd say you'd need a minimum of two hours, since it's about 15-20 minutes each way to the glacier. And there's the flexibility for your personal interests--last year, a cruiser was taken into a trailer park on garbage day in search of bears. :D

Whoosh....that's a relief. I am sitting here reading the glacier tours in miles, then I see the .5 photo tour.....now I am happy. In spite of being on my feet, on concrete floors, bending, twisiting, lifting and turning, 48 hours a week, I am probably in better shape than I give myself credit for, the mere idea of hiking wears me out. I should start a walking routine a few months before cruise just so walking will be an easy thing no matter where we go. Sigh....planning on paper seems easier than planning on your feet.

• 6 months later...
Sorry, Mendenhall Visitor Center hours are 8am - 730pm daily. Admission is $3 for adults, free for kids under 16.

The guide says the trails are:

East Glacier- 3.5 mile loop with 400 foot elevation gain, allow 2-3 hours.

West Glacier- Out and back, 3.4 miles each way, 1300' climb, allow 5-6 hours.

Moraine Ecology- 1.5 mile easy loop

Photo Tour Trail- 0.3 miles, 5 minutes, wheelchair accessible

Steep Creek salmon viewing- New trail, wheelchair accessible

The MGT bus is $14 RT and runs every 30 minutes from 9am - 630pm. As the other poster said, their website is unclear whether 630pm is the last bus from downtown or the last bus leaving Mendenhall.

Sorry to bring up an older post, but this was the info I was looking for. I was wondering if the East and West Glaciers are only walking tours, or do they have a guided driving tour?

I suggest you see if Coastal can drop you off direct at Mendenhall. It would be a big waste of time for you to transfer back downtown, only to go back out again to Mendenhall Glacier. Look at a map. If Coastal can't, then arrange a cab from Coastal, direct to Mendenhall. During "business" hours, there is a cab line outside the visitor center. Otherwise, have a number with you and call.

As for the trails. The West Loop is not accessed from the Visitor Center and is way more the challenging compared to all the rest. Above and Beyond offers guided hikes.

In the past the end time for MGT would be FROM the Mendenhall visitor center. Otherwise, the time would be extended for the return. They aren't going to have a one way drop.

Interesting to see one of my pre-Alaska posts pop up!

Now that we've been there, Coastal will not pick up or drop off at Mendenhall. The city charges fees to do that. Harv & Marv were talking about dropping M'hall for 09 due to a fee increase. You might see if they will drop you off a mile short of the Visitor Center. It's a residential neighborhood and a fairly level walk to MVC from there.

The MGT buses will do one-ways. 630pm is the last bus from MG back to the docks, but the buses sometimes run later if there's a backlog of passengers at the glacier. The lady at MGT said to let a driver know if you are going only OW *to* the glacier...they try to keep count and don't want to leave anyone there.

• 1 month later...
Interesting to see one of my pre-Alaska posts pop up!

Now that we've been there, Coastal will not pick up or drop off at Mendenhall. The city charges fees to do that. Harv & Marv were talking about dropping M'hall for 09 due to a fee increase. You might see if they will drop you off a mile short of the Visitor Center. It's a residential neighborhood and a fairly level walk to MVC from there.

The MGT buses will do one-ways. 630pm is the last bus from MG back to the docks, but the buses sometimes run later if there's a backlog of passengers at the glacier. The lady at MGT said to let a driver know if you are going only OW *to* the glacier...they try to keep count and don't want to leave anyone there.

Great info jusrt want I was looking for.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Archived