Anyone else get the post-cruise "dizzies"?

Ldyandrea

I don't get sea-sick at all, but it seems like when I get off of a cruise, the next few days a spend feeling like I'm still on the boat! It seems to be stronger when I'm in small spaces, like a bathroom or my office cubicle. I feel like I need dramamine for being back on land! :eek:

That used to happen to me all of the time, especially after longer voyages.

The actual name for it is "Mal de Debarquement" and it can be quite bothersome. Once mine was so bad after a month long cruise I thought I had the flu, yep, doing all the things that the flu brings with it.

Our doctor put me on seasickness meds for a week.

So, if this happens, just continue to take whatever you might use for actual seasickness and it should clear up within a few days to a week.

Not to worry. I get that every time. It goes away in a few days. Its sort of getting your "land legs" instead of your "sea legs". ;)

But, if it continues you might consider getting yourself to a doctor.

I had the same thing for a few days since getting off Thursday. I have had it in the past as well. For me it passes in about a week or so. I just look at it as a vacation memory! :rolleyes:

Yes people often suffer from it and it is called "getting you land legs back". The thing that my body suffers from is the withdrawl from the 8,000+ calories one consumes while on board and I just moap for a few days.

Mal de Debarquement can be a pain in the wazoo, but sometimes and for some folks, you can get hit with BPPV - Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - where a small calcium "stone" or crystal in your ear labyrinth breaks away and falls into your semi-circular canals.

I find it happens to me about once a year after a cruise, especially if I've gone through rough water. The dizziness and nausea can last for months unless you undergo some acrobatic therapy deisgned to roll the stones into a more benign location.

This hit me BAD after our first cruise in 3/2005. The hallways in my home were rolling so bad that I was rolling right along with them and running into the walls! :eek: :p The good news is that I've had it in decreasing amounts ever since. After my 6th cruise (12/07) I hardly had any mal de debarquement, and none after the 7th cruise in 1/08. Maybe the remedy is to cruise more, and more frequently? ;)

This hit me BAD after our first cruise in 3/2005. The hallways in my home were rolling so bad that I was rolling right along with them and running into the walls! :eek: :p The good news is that I've had it in decreasing amounts ever since. After my 6th cruise (12/07) I hardly had any mal de debarquement, and none after the 7th cruise in 1/08. Maybe the remedy is to cruise more, and more frequently? ;)

I've done 26 cruises and I still get it now and then. I also feel it more in small spaces-like the shower.

I did not feel this way on our first cruise, but definitely felt this way on our last 2 cruises. I was holding onto things to gain stability, especially in small places like the bathroom, like another poster said. Our last cruise moreson, as we were on the forward part of the ship with much more movement than we felt on our last cruise.

we get Mal de debarkment, especially when it is a shorter cruise. After some research and talking with our doctor we found out that it very different than being sea sick and is caused by your brain still thinking you are on a moving vessell. swelling Doctor recommended anti inflametory pills. We usually take Celebrex two days before getting off ship and for two or three days when we get on land.

Mal De Debarkment

This is a French word, meaning sickness after disembarking as one might get from coming off a boat. This is just the opposite of motion sickness. When a person first gets off a lengthy boat cruise, they feel as if the ground is swaying. Within a day or so this resolves. They get their "land legs" back. This is due to the brainstem resetting itself. In rare cases, the brainstem does not reset and the result is Mal de Debarkment. A person feels stable when they are in a car, on a boat or a plane moving along, but the moment they step on firm ground, they feel imbalance. This condition usually lasts for a short time but can persist for a few months. Fortunately, there are medicines that usually help this condition quite effectively.

Yep, happens to me too. A few times.

Really bad when I got off the ship after sailing through rough seas. I was a rocking and a rolling for a couple of days. When I would lay down I could feel the motion.

My last cruise out of Miami I had the smoothest sailing both ways. I cant remember if I experienced it then. When I sail out of NYC, the seas are rougher. The north Atlantic can be wicked. Bonine should do the trick.

Yep, me too. I learned this the hard way after my first cruise and I was quite sick while in the hotel in Copenhagen. I had been taking Bonine and only brought enough for the length of the cruise. Now I bring enough to get me on the plane and all the way home.

Then again, it seems to come back a few weeks later -- when the credit card bill arrives. Then I get dizzy all over again!!!

Pretty much every time... land sickness instead of sea sickness. And it doesn't matter if the sailing was smooth (inside passage to Alaska) or rough (sailing with my sister through a hurricane). I actually start the meclizine when I disembark and take it for about 3 days. Hits me hardest when I'm sitting in front of my computer. I can feel myself sway back and forth.

I wonder... since the first three "land" days following my next cruise will be in Venice... if being surrounded by water, traveling on foot or by boat, will lessen this phenomenon?? Plus NOT sitting in front of the computer (yippee). :)

Took me a few cruises before I began to have those terrible feelings==this last trip I tried using the patch a few extra days--seems to have worked--except maybe it wasn't time to have it---

After a cruise when we landed in NYC we went on a helicopter ride a few hours later--thank goodness only about 20 minutes--wasn't wearing the patch then after the cruise--wish I had figured it out about 15 cruises ago.

First couple of times I thought I was actually sick--then I read about this wonderful thing that some of us get after the cruise--I felt better knowing that I wasn't the only one

Nancy:D

Wow, I've never heard of it lasting for more than a few days! I'm always learning something new on CC ;)

As a sailor, I'm so used to this sensation that I hardly even think of it anymore. It does seem to be worse after I've been in a rough sea. I always seem to feel it the most in the shower. I've never had it to the point of feeling sick though. Then again, I've never been seasick either.

:eek:

Then again, it seems to come back a few weeks later -- when the credit card bill arrives. Then I get dizzy all over again!!!

AHAHAHAHAHHA. That was funny. Yep,,,it happens to me too!

I have had the post-cruise "dizzies" after my first cruise, after the latest cruise, and after every cruise in between. It has lasted as long as a week. Now I'm used to it and expect it. But after I'm back home, I do get disbelieving looks from people when I tell them that not only do I feel the room swaying but I can sense when the movement shifts from port to starboard and then back again.

Archived