Young Men's Suit Style - for Soxfan05 (specifically)

Curt,

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your expertise. Your posts have definitely helped me to understand my sons' burgeoning personal style and where their influences are coming from. Currently, their style seems a bit schizophrenic as they like the edgy urban graffiti looking t's and hoodies but they realize with their All American looks, they look better in classic styles.

Now the question:

My 13 year old boys need suits this summer for a family wedding. They will also be attending a school dance next spring. Can suits be tailored now to fit and then again 10 months later if they need to be? Any suggestions on a look that I could show them that would be appropriate for a family wedding but also could be personalized enough for them to wear at a Middle School dance?

Hey Soxfan05!

I'm more than happy to help, and setting up a thread on it's own for us to talk this through (so it doesn't get lost or confused by other "comments" on the other thread).

Sorry, it took a while to get back to you, but I was out of the office for days working on the many projects I have lined up.;)

That being said...

I actually do things like this as a portion of my work, so I'm more than happy to help out.

First things though, I need a little more info in order to do the best...

(There are two boys, and they are different individuals - so answer best for each one)

#1 Time frame? I know it's summer, but how long do we have?

#2 His general size and frame (stocky, skinny, athletic?) and height.

(Don't need specifics , just general starting points).

#3 What is his coloring? Hair tone, skin tone, eye color? Are there any certain colors that every time he wears them, you seem to notice lots of people complimenting him (Not complimenting the shirt or whatever, but "Wow! You look really good today!" so complimenting him). Also hair length?

#4 Do you know what is the time frame (day, afternoon, night) of the wedding? Also the location can make a difference (beach, mountain, church, country club, city suburb) as to how dressy.

What kind of middle school is requiring a suit for a dance (curious but important)? Is it an actual "spring formal"? Or some other form of dance?

(Makes a difference on how much to dress it up or down, or even just use the jacket and different pants, etc.).

#5 Importantly, what kind of music, tv shows or movies, or sports is he into?

This is actually good to know on a subconscious level. There will be certain things that he is drawn to or more comfortable wearing.

#6 Finally, general budget frame (I'm great with this, you don't have to spend a ton of money here).

So, I'm just figuring here, that since you've got me for a while to help...

I'll help you out with some long term directions, as you'll be able to work with them better in the future.

The suit is a bit tricky (but can be done a few ways), so I just want to figure the styles and feelings out first; as that will make a difference on how we adjust tailoring.

Also, I'm figuring that since they're getting a suit, we should at least try to figure out some other ideas that they might think were cool and comfortable to wear the pants or jacket separately for other occasions as well.

(People don't realize how versatile suits pieces can be, and how much more use you can get out of them).

I applaud you in advance for taking an interest. If you start to allow them to choose some themselves, and adapt things to his own style...

Then you have a young man who will start to take pride in his appearance, and actually develop an interest in dressing up.

I find that when young guys are "forced" into their grandfather's style suits or shoes, then they associate suits and dressing up with "old fogies" and "uncomfortable". Which is why there are a lot of grown up men who are traumatized into not ever wanting to dress up!

If you take the interest to help them make it, young modern, and "his own", then you have started a path where they associate suit wearing and dressing up with positive feelings.

Just sayin'

Get back to me when you can, and we'll get down to specifics.

(And just be patient if I'm away for a few days here and there, I do get out of town work at different locations).

Looking forward to helping as best I can!

Hey Soxfan05!

I'm more than happy to help, and setting up a thread on it's own for us to talk this through (so it doesn't get lost or confused by other "comments" on the other thread).

Sorry, it took a while to get back to you, but I was out of the office for days working on the many projects I have lined up.;)

That being said...

I actually do things like this as a portion of my work, so I'm more than happy to help out.

First things though, I need a little more info in order to do the best...

(There are two boys, and they are different individuals - so answer best for each one)

#1 Time frame? I know it's summer, but how long do we have?

#2 His general size and frame (stocky, skinny, athletic?) and height.

(Don't need specifics , just general starting points).

#3 What is his coloring? Hair tone, skin tone, eye color? Are there any certain colors that every time he wears them, you seem to notice lots of people complimenting him (Not complimenting the shirt or whatever, but "Wow! You look really good today!" so complimenting him). Also hair length?

#4 Do you know what is the time frame (day, afternoon, night) of the wedding? Also the location can make a difference (beach, mountain, church, country club, city suburb) as to how dressy.

What kind of middle school is requiring a suit for a dance (curious but important)? Is it an actual "spring formal"? Or some other form of dance?

(Makes a difference on how much to dress it up or down, or even just use the jacket and different pants, etc.).

#5 Importantly, what kind of music, tv shows or movies, or sports is he into?

This is actually good to know on a subconscious level. There will be certain things that he is drawn to or more comfortable wearing.

#6 Finally, general budget frame (I'm great with this, you don't have to spend a ton of money here).

So, I'm just figuring here, that since you've got me for a while to help...

I'll help you out with some long term directions, as you'll be able to work with them better in the future.

The suit is a bit tricky (but can be done a few ways), so I just want to figure the styles and feelings out first; as that will make a difference on how we adjust tailoring.

Also, I'm figuring that since they're getting a suit, we should at least try to figure out some other ideas that they might think were cool and comfortable to wear the pants or jacket separately for other occasions as well.

(People don't realize how versatile suits pieces can be, and how much more use you can get out of them).

I applaud you in advance for taking an interest. If you start to allow them to choose some themselves, and adapt things to his own style...

Then you have a young man who will start to take pride in his appearance, and actually develop an interest in dressing up.

I find that when young guys are "forced" into their grandfather's style suits or shoes, then they associate suits and dressing up with "old fogies" and "uncomfortable". Which is why there are a lot of grown up men who are traumatized into not ever wanting to dress up!

If you take the interest to help them make it, young modern, and "his own", then you have started a path where they associate suit wearing and dressing up with positive feelings.

Just sayin'

Get back to me when you can, and we'll get down to specifics.

(And just be patient if I'm away for a few days here and there, I do get out of town work at different locations).

Looking forward to helping as best I can!

Hi Curt,

First, thank you for taking the time out of your hectic schedule to help me out with this. You're too kind.

I'm going to do my best to answer each question as asked:

1 Time frame: August 8th so we have lots of time (to buy and for them to grow)

2. Build: Right now, Paxton is about 5'1" and weighs about 110 - wears mens pants size 28/29 30 inseam. He needs a mens medium shirt as his shoulders have suddenly popped out. I would say he is athletic build with a little room around the tummy. He wears a men's 9 1/2 shoe. Colin right now is about 5" and weighs 95 lbs. He wears a 27 waist with a 29 inseam and a men's small shirt which sometimes run a little big (they get most of their clothes from Hollister, Abercrombie and American Eagle so the fitted styles fit better and the baggy are overly big on him..make sense??) Here's the kicker, in 6 months, Colin will be closer to Paxton's size. It's a pattern we've seen since they were infants. One has cognitive growth while the other grows physically and then they change it up. LOL

3. Sandy brown hair, they tan in the summer but are fair skinned with bright blue eyes and some freckles. As far as colors, they look great in yellow, blues, pink, green, white, red and pale gray. They are definite "All American".

Just some insight from unbiased stylist types, up until they were about 10 years old, they modelled. They were always booked for jobs where they wore preppy or dress clothes. A couple that come to mind are a poster they did for Eddie Bauer where they're dressed in white oxford shirts, navy dress shorts and boat shoes with them in a bedroom that is done in nautical style with pale red, white and blue bedding. Another ad, one was part of an executive family boarding their G-4 wearing khaki shorts, a light blue oxford shirt and a navy barracuda jacket. That really sums up their "look". They have short, clean cut hair.

Paxton is a little bolder in his choices. He likes brighter colors- his favorite being orange. For a 70's dance he went with a disco look in a black and gold striped suit, orange ruffled shirt, black platform shoes and an afro. He really rocked the look and owned it. The rest of the kids (Colin included) opted for the early 70's tie die hippie look.

4. The wedding is at 11:00 and it's at a restaurant/function facility. I tried to get an idea of the venue online but it was difficult. I have been told it's "very nice" and upscale. The dance is a semiformal. It's my understanding the boys wear a shirt and tie and often times they go in groups rather than with dates. Not sure what next spring will bring on that front.

5. Music sports etc. This is where we get into the schizophrenic part. Both enjoy golf, snowboarding and football. They're both big time beach bums and like to go boarding. Both like all kinds of music they can be listening to rap one minute and a pop song the next. They like comedy shows and are a couple of cut ups. Malcolm in the Middle , MTV cribs, Punk'd are a few of their faves. (They're helping me with this part- they're excited to see what you will come up with for them :D )

6. Budget, hmmm hadn't thought of that. I'd like to keep it under $500 for the two of them if possible. Am I out of the ball park??

You are 100% right about young men being forced into "old fogey" styles. I'm such a traditionalist, I'm afraid that's what I would present them with. They've never balked at dressing up for special occasion but I do find that on a day to day basis, they are favoring jeans and don't want to wear anything else. They need to get out of that rut. They are always conscientous about being neat and will even iron their t's and jeans if they are wrinkled. We've got that going for us anyway!

I'm looking forward to corresponding on this! Thanks so much again. Oh, and to keep on topic, let's come up with a "cruise" look too! :D

Great!

That's a lot of good info to start with, and in general, feel free to have them look at the thread here and say "Yes" or "No".

It will help me gear to them each personally better.

So far, it sounds like they are typical "Summer" coloring, so that's good as the manufacturers tend to make a lot of clothes for this coloring.

And based on preferences and things they like...

I'm calling them kind of a Modern Urban Surfer.

Hip and clean, but with some outdoor surfer and relaxed music edge.

(Makes sense in my mind, it just always helps to have a "title" to work from)...

Budget is great, we'll have a lot of good options. So you are well within the ballpark.

Also with the wedding time and venue, as well as dance and cruise...

It doesn't need to be really stuffy formal. It can definitely be a little more light and relaxed feel (but it will still be really nice, I'm just nit picking subtleties that most people except you and your boys won't notice - they'll just be more comfortable and hip).

Also, what is the biggest city that is near you?

I don't want to start recommending stores and specific options to try, if there's not one near you.

Let me know.

"Modern Urban Surfer" I like that! And it sounds so much better than

"schizophrenic". LOL They will like this so much more than the "preppy" that they seem to be labeled by friends. I can't wait to share your label with them.

We are 20 minutes from great shopping in Boston. We also have Talbots, J Crew, Banana Republic, Express and Jos. A Bank (along with the other chain stores like A Eagle etc) within 10 minutes of here.

Perfect! I'm already putting together some ideas and options, but want to get it all together for a proper "presentation".

In the meantime, can you give me their chest measurements (that's going to be the most important starting point now)...

Just take a tape measure, and loosely (not super tight) over their shirt get the widest part of their upper chest, under their arms with arms casually hanging down at their sides.

(Don't do it with their arms sticking out sideways like a lot of people do).

Then I can start some specifics.

I'm going to be out for a few days, but let me know when you get back here.

I've got a few great options ready to go (just need to scan to give you a good visual presentation).:cool:

I'm leaning toward more American style, less constructed, cotton.

Doesn't need to be tailored as tightly as European/Constructed, and I've got a few tricks for "room to grow".;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully you are still around and checking this, otherwise, maybe it's good info for some other readers as well...

So considering all the info:

Look for a less constructed, cotton(ish) American style suit.

It is more relaxed, so less fitted tailoring required, and easier to look good with room to grow.

This is the kind of look I'm talking about:

a708a20fecf1831f795ccbde3b05dd61.jpg

These types are from Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Banana Republic, J. Crew, Express, H & M.

Now, to give you (and the guys) visuals on what I think are some good options - I'm going to present a few suits with many various ways to dress them up or down.

So we'll start with Khaki. Great way to dress it up is white shirt and black/ties and accessories. This is the new summer/spring wedding attire for the past few years, and is only going to increase in scope.

Note the white pocket square also dresses it up great for a wedding.

As we look left to right here, colored shirts and brown accessories make it a bit more casual or business-like.

ab5bb1a62fb33bf391057549c77b8cb4.jpg

Khaki Suit continued...

Now, for other times this adapts to much more comfortable and casual.

Polo shirts, Rugby Shirts, Bright colors, classic style tennis shoes all adapt this to a great informal alternative.

Hip but still stylish.

6645d14c508a75126f3c4fc570c292af.jpg

This is getting into A & F and Holister type style.

Khaki Suit continued...

And then for the true Modern Urban Surfer, let's adapt the pieces more and get more fun and funky.

This is where they can have fun with it, wear on the weekends, wear to school etc.

They are limited only by their imagination, encourage it!

eaff4acf195b113122dbfa16dbb830f0.jpg

Using just the jacket, the pants, and pairing them with different jeans, shorts, ties, layers, etc.

These are just giving ideas that suits aren't just for stuffy formal once a year events. The more ways they can wear it on more days, then more comfortable they get with suits in general.

Gray Suit continued...

Gray jackets and pants seem to adapt well to a little more rock and hip hop edge, when worn separately. Jeans, hoodies, graphic T-Shirts all work well and allow for each to let his personality show.

b498c172f9ffbca7ad1fad863d01c95f.jpg

Let go. Roll those sleeves up, let the cuffs hang loose.

One more good option = Blue (light Navy) Suit

Most Dressy is with a white shirt, black tie, and white pocket square.

For this one, add a bow tie to a nice conservative shirt and it can almost appear tux-like.;)

c914933620b060eed24692ad91bf09ca.jpg

The one thing to be aware of with this, is that if it's too tailored or conservative, it can appear very stuffy and business-like.

(Which can be good for some people, but just not necessarily what you are looking for here).

I also prefer the lighter blues than the almost black navies.

Blue Suit continued...

And now we get much more fun and casual. Abercrombie, Holister, Graphic, Outdoor style.

Layers and imagination take this from clubbing to making fun and funky statements in shorts at school. Wear it at the disco late night on a cruise!

23835f8a46f6d4015f014dfcbe048264.jpg

Suit jackets and pants only for weddings?!?! Not anymore! Get more use out of the investment. Express yourself, and have fun.:D

Old school stuffy types, look away now! Don't damage your sensibilities!;)

So, hopefully this is helpful and giving you a lot of ideas and options.

Remember that all of these are just starting with a basic American style Khaki Suit, Gray Suit, or Blue Suit.

That one starting point can take you to all of these options and more.

Now, tailoring tricks...

Because it's American style and less constructed, no need to super tailor it.

Get it so that the shoulders fit, but have some room (can lift arms and swing them).

If it's a full grown adult male, then make sure it fits nicely against the shoulders and isn't protruding out and off the shoulders.

For still growing teens, I'd give it a little more leeway and err on the side of more room, and let it looser.

If need be, take the jacket in just a bit in the waist. Not too much, room to grow.

Make sure the sleeves are the right length. Show a little shirt cuff. This is for now and the wedding.

If they are bit short here in the Spring, or later...

They are American style, so just push them up a little. Roll the sleeves.

Wear it with a French Cuff shirt, and cuff the shirt over the jacket sleeves.

d7d47e6b0af008da1d4633108ba745cb.jpg

3703eda000d3f4a288e3815a81a51851.jpg

Wear the suit with a Graphic T-Shirt and just push the sleeves up a bit.

145b2a7fe643899accc6055b29152cf8.jpg

6567903818d45bdfcb7cbeedeac96752.jpg

9b68ecf33ad0432464a7ed83de76e493.jpg

(Good various looks for the Spring Dance. Cooler and more comfortable than just the shirt and tie).

Pants, give a size bigger maybe. Make sure that they are FLAT FRONT!

No pleated pants. Flat front, especially under a suit jacket can get away with a little big. Just belt it. Then there's room to grow.

These are the ideas for now, I'll add more later as I think of them.

Let me know if you (or anyone else) has any questions.

For anyone who wants to jump in...

No negative or snark comments welcome here. Constructive discussion only please.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Finally here are some places to start looking for these specifically, and for about $250 or less. (Try to look for cotton on the label, more comfortable and more "give").

Bear in mind, these are lighterweight summer/spring type suits for your (Northern) area. So, start looking now, and maybe ask the stores how long they'll be in stock.

Sometimes, they'll dump these early in the summer, because they are making way for heavier fall and winter clothes.

Also, ask/look for later they may have them on sale to get rid of the summer stock. The good thing is they may be less expensive, the bad thing though is they won't have all the sizes so be careful of waiting too long and finding out that you are out of luck on sizes.

Stores in your area in general...

J. Crew

Banana Republic

try Macy's, Bloomingdales, Neimen Marcus for Calvin Klein and Marc by Marc Jacobs.

Express may have some, but make sure they are less tailored ones.

Also there is an H & M near you. You never know what they have, but I have often found really nicely designed but inexpensive suit separates there. It's a definitely a place you should check out for inexpensive but extremely cool clothes for teens and young men.

(The ladies stuff is great as well).

Again, let me know if you have any more questions. I'm curious to know what they end up getting.

• 4 weeks later...

You sound very knowledgeable and I was wondering if you could help me out. My 11 year old son has outgrown his suite which he loves to wear. I went to Penney's to get him a new one for our cruise this July 20th but was told they usually only get them in around Easter. Do you know of any good web sites where I might be able to order one for him? He would be very upset if he could not bring his suit on the cruise.:) Thanks, Nora

You sound very knowledgeable and I was wondering if you could help me out. My 11 year old son has outgrown his suite which he loves to wear. I went to Penney's to get him a new one for our cruise this July 20th but was told they usually only get them in around Easter. Do you know of any good web sites where I might be able to order one for him? He would be very upset if he could not bring his suit on the cruise.:) Thanks, Nora

I'm absolutely happy to help you out, bear with me and check back here, and we'll figure this out...

In general...

websites to check for him are:

www.boyssuits.com (expensive, but great customer service and specific)

www.esuit.com (not much but decent).

Other than that, in Walnut Creek CA, you have more retail options...

First of all, there is an H & M Store at:

1450 Mt. Diablo Blvd.

Walnut Creek 94596

They should have some cool but inexpensive things there.

Also in general, J. Crew, Banana Republic, and Lord and Taylor generally have kids jackets/suits year round.

Finally, one of the best places that has them in the stores or in general for a good design and price is Target.

Try Cherokee Suiting Separates for boys!

(If you go to the website or store, check "Boys' Dresswear"...)

This well designed suit separates are available for boys sizing in Black and Navy ($35 for the jacket, $18 for the pants)...

e15500405b72c565a46a5eaad7dde84d.jpg

Let me know what you find, or if you need any more help or assistance!

:D

Hey you!

Gosh I disappear for awhile and I miss 'Young Mens Suits 101'!!;)

I,too, thank you for some great ideas and information.

Having a 12 yr old myself is fun for both of us to see and "hear" what someone with his own great sense of style has to offer up.

I think that you offer a ton of great looks that outline the most important factor in fashion ( IMHO), and that is looking great but owning the style/look at the same time.

So many people are so hung up on the "rules" that they forget that if somone's sense of style or personality is not reflected in choices, they can never really truly make it work.;) They can definately coincide!

Thanks Curt!:D

Archived