Young Men's Suit Style - for Soxfan05 (specifically)

Curt thank you for all the time you took to put this all together. I kind of fell off the face of the earth and I haven't been on this site for quite some time.

The last I had checked in you had pinned them as "urban skater"- they loved that description. I'm glad I never got the measurements and shopping. In the 8 weeks since I've posted they have grown like weeds. Both are now taller than me and have feet almost as big as my 6"1' hubby! I gave away 4 bags of clothes last week alone!

Again, thank you. I'm sure your services and knowledge are in high demand and it's very kind of you to take the time to help.

Hey you!

Gosh I disappear for awhile and I miss 'Young Mens Suits 101'!!;)

Having a 12 yr old myself is fun for both of us to see and "hear" what someone with his own great sense of style has to offer up.

Thanks Curt!:D

I think more boys would love to dress up if they knew that they could pull looks together the way Curt does. I find that in regard to formal wear, all the stores I've ever been to are "stuffy" and lack creativity.

I think more boys would love to dress up if they knew that they could pull looks together the way Curt does. I find that in regard to formal wear, all the stores I've ever been to are "stuffy" and lack creativity.

I so completely agree. My son has somehow figured all this out on his own a while back...cruising and formal nights had a huge impact on him. He loves this type of dressing, and all the great pics here Curt posted...many of them look like something my boy would wear. He's a bit older...15 1/2, going on 30. :rolleyes:

The cool thing is, some of his buddies have picked up the same style. Amazing.

• 6 months later...

Curt,

If you are still around, thank you so much for the helpful information. I am kind of in a dilema right now. My son has traditionally been happy in the suits similar to the target one that you showed above. He is now 15 and for the past 1 1/2 years has mainly been wearing dress pants without the jacket due to a teenage thing of no longer wanting to wear the jacket because no one else his age did and because he was growing so fast, I didn't want to spend the money to keep him in a jacket.

He is still growing, but is showing a desire to wear a jacket again. Since he is now 5'10" and wearing a 32" waist, we are definitely in the men's department. At Kohl's, the cheapest jacket they had was $110 on sale. I really don't want to spend that kind of money for dinners on the cruise and sometimes church on Sunday, especially when he is still growing.

A white shirt and tie is required on Sunday, so we usually stick with darker colors. He has red hair (very bushy unless it has been cut very recently) , very fair skin, and freckles. He looks awesome in all black, which may be an option for the cruise and school dances, but it is not an option for church.

We are in central Ohio, (Tuttle and Polaris malls are the closest). Is Target an option for men's suits or just boys? I wouldn't normally think of Target as an option, but I am willing to try anything.

He is really busy, so we don't have a ton of time to go to a lot of stores.

Thanks again for all your help.

I'm here!

One of my pals just directed me to your question from another thread...

Yes Target has men's suits, but give me a bit and I'll come up with a lot of good options for you (I'm in the middle of work at the moment)!

In the meantime, with his coloring, he really sounds like a true "Autumn", so to start you off here is a good chart to note for good colors for him...

8efa41f64c36b7b5f2eb03f608222969.jpg

Okay, so checking out some things here, and will keep checking back until we figure out something great for your son!

Here are two suit separates options that are available from Target right now that are both perfect for your son's sizes, and maybe the budget, as well as possible church options for "not black"...

This would be my first choice (if I was personal shopping with you)...

Brown suit separates, great color for him, great option for the cruise, and for possible church later...

415853df8d5940d3b4c366ccb3d7b0dd.jpg

This is the "Merona" Suit Separates in a very nicely subtle Brown Plaid.

Very young and hip, very adaptable to various situations.

My second choice for him from Target...

c6e3558607949a16ea395b81e919eae3.jpg

Taupe/Greyish/Brownish suit separates...

Also a Merona suit, great young design, very adaptable, will look great with his hair and skin coloring.

Let me know if either of these look like they could work, or in the budget, etc.

If not, then I can help you track down some more stores and options in your direct area!:)

Also, in general, if he is doing one of these suits, he can go for a Medium or Large.

It must fit in the chest and shoulders!

So, if you can make sure to do a chest measurement (as you've got the 32 inch waist measurement, and also 5' 10", so I'm wondering if you might also have to consider "athletic cuts" for him)...

I can narrow the options down even better for you and him.

These are just ideas and starting points, so feel free to let me know if these are getting you in the right direction...

Also let me know if it's not working, or not in the right direction, as that will help me to help you get there better!

:cool:

LOL! Curt - that chart looks exactly like the one I pulled out of Reader's Digest in the mid-eighties for Autumns!!! (Said the reader with the reddish-brown hair, pale skin and freckles!).

You KNOW that I have an extensive personal library of books and magazines on the history of fashion dating back for centuries!

I happen to be one of the few owners of the out of print ORIGINAL seasonal color charts!

(which still works today in my business, and my fashion contemporaries are amazed that I have managed to retain original copies!)

So, that is a scan of even the pre-Reader's Digest version that you pulled out in the mid-eighties!

It's the OG!:D

Yes, I am that cool.:cool::p

Thanks so much. We will be shopping this weekend. I love the brown suit. He could wear a black suit to church, just not the black shirt that he looks so good in, but I like the idea of something different for a change.

He has always had the traditional black or navy blue, so this will be a fun change.

I didn't get a chance to do his measurements before he left for school this morning, but he is not large across the shoulders and chest, so a normal cut should work. He wears large T-shirts, but only because he likes them loose. He would fit into mediums.

Thanks again for your help and I will let you know how it goes this weekend.

You are very welcome...

The subtle plaids are really young and hip right now, but they also will probably have some nice blacks and navies as well in the store.

One reason that I am a fan of Target for budget conscious clothes, is that they actually have higher end designers do special economical designs for their stores exclusively.

If you can find any Mossimo in the store that is great, and the Merona line (like the suits I posted above) are also younger and hipper than what you could find at something like Sears (for example).

Just be sure to look at the labels, and get the Wool suits, the Cotton ones are great as well. Stay away from any of the Polyester ones (they'll just automatically look cheap).

Another hint for shopping this weekend...

Have him go to the store in his favorite "cool" t-shirt and jeans.

Let him first try the jackets on over that, so he can see what can be a more casual look.

Also have him try on just the suits with the t-shirt, and push the sleeves up (more cool and hip).

Then try it on with a nice button up shirt when you've got a final choice.

It will give him the idea of more options to wear it than just the cruise and church - and give him more of a way to make it "his own".

Hope that helps!

Let us know how it goes, and if you need more help or different options later!

Are you Italian? Or are you just living in Italy? Just living in Italy

And then, what sizes (chest, waist) I will have to check when he gets home. I know his arms are 17 1/2 inches around and he has a HUGE back. His waist is a 32, length 30.

He is 5'7" and 195 lbs (all muscle) He will need something that isnt tight because he lives in the gym. :D

What's his coloring? He has medium skin, hazel eyes, and military cut brown hair.

What do you need the suit for? cruising... pretty much any occasion.

Cruising? Parties? Church? Business?

Also we have the worst time trying to find a suit here that fits him. We cant find a jacket that will fit his arms, 56 is the largest we have found and it is too snug.

Yes, he's definitely Athletic Cut, and could even be on the Big & Tall side of stores.

Designers that sell suit separates, are really what he needs.

Also, unfortunately as Italy would be a suit mecca for a certain type of guy - it's almost totally wrong for your husband.

Too slim, too tailored.

He needs more of a less tailored, less contructed American style.

All I need to get started is chest size, waist size (I've got height and weight) - then I can help direct you to some things that are better options.

(I don't want to start searching until I know the right sizes I'm searching for!)

I'll check back here later.

Curt, I am loving this thread again.

One piece of advice you gave that has made a huge difference in my boys' wardrobe is paying close attention to the "cut" of even simple t's. I never realized there were different fits. A simple t, jeans and jacket take on a totally different look if you're wearing a well fitting t. They even look at the labels in the stores now to find the fit that looks best on them.

I have to second the kudos to the Target Mossimo line. Very trendy, quality clothes for very reasonable prices.

Okay, so checking out some things here, and will keep checking back until we figure out something great for your son!

Here are two suit separates options that are available from Target right now that are both perfect for your son's sizes, and maybe the budget, as well as possible church options for "not black"...

This would be my first choice (if I was personal shopping with you)...

Brown suit separates, great color for him, great option for the cruise, and for possible church later...

415853df8d5940d3b4c366ccb3d7b0dd.jpg

This is the "Merona" Suit Separates in a very nicely subtle Brown Plaid.

Very young and hip, very adaptable to various situations.

My second choice for him from Target...

c6e3558607949a16ea395b81e919eae3.jpg

Taupe/Greyish/Brownish suit separates...

Also a Merona suit, great young design, very adaptable, will look great with his hair and skin coloring.

Let me know if either of these look like they could work, or in the budget, etc.

If not, then I can help you track down some more stores and options in your direct area!:)

Also, in general, if he is doing one of these suits, he can go for a Medium or Large.

It must fit in the chest and shoulders!

So, if you can make sure to do a chest measurement (as you've got the 32 inch waist measurement, and also 5' 10", so I'm wondering if you might also have to consider "athletic cuts" for him)...

I can narrow the options down even better for you and him.

These are just ideas and starting points, so feel free to let me know if these are getting you in the right direction...

Also let me know if it's not working, or not in the right direction, as that will help me to help you get there better!

:cool:

Thanks so much for your help. We ended up at Burlington Coat Factory. Our Target's selection was extremely small. We ended up with a very nice black suit again. DS did not want anything to do with brown, but if he is happy I am happy. He said he likes black, so that is what we ended up with. Luckily, church only requires that his shirt be white, any color suit is fine. I was just hoping to change things up some. :rolleyes:

He looked very nice and dapper today at church with his new haircut and suit. He seemed to be between a 38R and a 40R, but we found a more slim cut 40R that gives him a little room in the shoulders and back to grow, but not enough to notice any wrinkles or anything.

We almost got a tux because the jacket was only $70 and the pants $20 at JC Penney, but the sales person was so pushy, we ended up leaving without anything.

Thanks again for all the help.

Wow, someone directed me to this thread and this is amazing! I know nothing about fashion and I need some help.

My son is 15, 5'10" and weighs between 115 and 120, so he is hard to fit. Although his waist measures 30" as of last night, he seems to wear 28x34 jeans - I'm a bit baffled by jean sizing and not looking forward to searching for a suit. He has recently lost girth as he has gained height, and although we've been shopping in the mens department for at least a year, I'm wondering if we need to go back to the boys department since his jenas that fit last year are now falling off of him. :(

I'm on a tight budget, so that is my primary concern. My best guess, he is growing so fast, that he'll only wear this suit twice on the cruise, so quality is not a big concern. As for coloring, he is pale (it is February in Iowa, he might be a bit less pale by the time we cruise in June!), light brown hair, brown eyes.

Any advice apprecited, when you get around to it, we are not cruising until June but I'm guessing now is a good time to shop when the stores have suits for easter. Ideally, I'd like to find one on sale after Easter!

Thanks in advance!

Wow, someone directed me to this thread and this is amazing! I know nothing about fashion and I need some help.

No problem, I got the 911 notice from RI-Sailor from another thread!:D

I'm having a mini-vacation with my wife this week, so I'm not checking the boards...

I'll be back to normal schedule next week...

In the meantime, I'll get you started!

My son is 15, 5'10" and weighs between 115 and 120, so he is hard to fit. Although his waist measures 30" as of last night, he seems to wear 28x34 jeans - I'm a bit baffled by jean sizing and not looking forward to searching for a suit. He has recently lost girth as he has gained height, and although we've been shopping in the mens department for at least a year, I'm wondering if we need to go back to the boys department since his jenas that fit last year are now falling off of him. :(

Once he's hit the mens department, he won't go backwards into the boys department as his height and shoulder frame will only increase.

At this point, you need to look for separates, and at his age and size, I don't think it's bad for the pants to be like a 32 and just belt it.

Just make sure that the pants are flat front, and not pleated.

Belting flat front pants that are a little too big look okay.

Belting pleated pants that are too big end up looking like MC Hammer pants or clown pants - so you don't want that.

And his actual weight doesn't matter as much as his skeletal framework.

You do need to get a chest measurement, to at least give you a size guide to start with...

I'll put a link at the end of this post, to get you to to a general suit sizing info and how to figure that out.

Side note on the jeans sizing, jeans are different than any other pants, as they shrink and stretch in washing and wearing - so they are much more flexible in sizing. My jeans range from 32 to 34, just depending on the cut of the jeans.

I'm on a tight budget, so that is my primary concern. My best guess, he is growing so fast, that he'll only wear this suit twice on the cruise, so quality is not a big concern. As for coloring, he is pale (it is February in Iowa, he might be a bit less pale by the time we cruise in June!), light brown hair, brown eyes.

Well he sounds like a "Summer" in coloring, which is easy!

He'll probably look great in Navy, Gray (which is super hip right now), and Beiges...

Any advice apprecited, when you get around to it, we are not cruising until June but I'm guessing now is a good time to shop when the stores have suits for easter. Ideally, I'd like to find one on sale after Easter!

Thanks in advance!

I'll check on some specifics if you can me know any stores or malls you are near, and if you can check on the chest/jacket measurement!

Then I can direct you to some specific budget suits that will fit and look great!

Link to the General Suit thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=409661

(I probably need to update that a bit...)

One more question even though we finished for this time, I would like to know for next time.

At one point in our endeavor, we tried JC Penney and the sales lady was extremely pushy. Luckily, she said the jacket we had picked out was too long for him. I thought it looked OK in length, but overall I didn't like it. I accepted her statement of it being too long because it got us out of the store, but how do you know what a good length is?

It was a standard 2 button suit jacket if that matters.

One more question even though we finished for this time, I would like to know for next time.

At one point in our endeavor, we tried JC Penney and the sales lady was extremely pushy. Luckily, she said the jacket we had picked out was too long for him. I thought it looked OK in length, but overall I didn't like it. I accepted her statement of it being too long because it got us out of the store, but how do you know what a good length is?

It was a standard 2 button suit jacket if that matters.

Hey there!

Thanks for getting back and reporting on your success with the new suit!

It all sounds good!:)

Check on my general suit thread I posted the link to in the post above this for basic info and reading.

But, the best general rule on a suit being too "long"...

With arms relaxed at the side, a guy should "cup" his fingers up over the sleeve. The sleeve should end right at the angle between hand and upturned fingers (almost like you can hold the sleeve in your hand).

If the sleeve falls longer (or extremely shorter) than that it's too long (or too short).;)

Hopefully I'm explaining that in a way that makes sense to people.

Hey there!

Thanks for getting back and reporting on your success with the new suit!

It all sounds good!:)

Check on my general suit thread I posted the link to in the post above this for basic info and reading.

But, the best general rule on a suit being too "long"...

With arms relaxed at the side, a guy should "cup" his fingers up over the sleeve. The sleeve should end right at the angle between hand and upturned fingers (almost like you can hold the sleeve in your hand).

If the sleeve falls longer (or extremely shorter) than that it's too long (or too short).;)

Hopefully I'm explaining that in a way that makes sense to people.

Thanks, but it wasn't the sleeve length that she was commenting on, but the length of the jacket. I like the cupped finger description that you gave for the sleeves. That makes perfect sense.

Thanks again. You have been a great help.

hhmmm....seems I have thrown a couple people at this thread lately, Curt! I have been warning them that sometimes your life gets out of hand or you are traveling and not online so they are prepared that it sometimes takes you a few days to get back to them!

My notes on men's pants: Better quality men's slacks often have a center back seam that extends up thru the waistband. A belt loop may be tacked directly over or slightly off to the side of the seam. Remove the belt loop, adjust the center back seam (either in or out as needed) following and tapering in to the original seam. Then replace the belt loop. If the seam doesn't extend thru the waistband you can still alter the slacks to make the waist smaller. Just stitch thru the entire waistband (by hand if nessasary). This may make an extra-thick hump, but a belt and jacket should do a decent job of covering it. ;) This is one of the easiest alterations to do besides hems, IMHO. So, don't be afraid to buy slacks a bit larger for those growing young men!

And Nothriver...there's nothing wrong with the navy blue jacket and khakis or grey slacks you mentioned on the other thread. However, I think the grey would be dressier looking for a formal or semi-formal night.

Ok, from the depths of my son's closet, I found nothing that would work, the largest jacket I had was a boys sz 20 and he literally couldn't get into it.

Anyway, if I'm measuring correctly, I'm getting 29-30" for his waist and 32-33" chest.

For stores, I'm in the western suburbs of Des Moines, Iowa. Obviously we have a Target. Our malls are Valley West where we have Penny's, Younkers, and an upscale local department store, Von Maur. Our "new" mall is Jordan Creek, there is a Dillards, another Younkers, Gap, and Abercrombie. Outside the malls, we have a Mens Warehouse and someplace called S&K Menswear that I have never been too. Our local men's clothing stores have consolidated into one company, Midwest Clothiers (dot com), with several stores including Reichardt's, Badower's and Mr. B, and that is where I would go for a nice suit for an adult, or for myself, but again, I'm not sure they have anything priced within reason for a child to wear once or twice.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help. We are cruising for my parent's 50th anniversary and grandma would be thrilled to see her grandson in a suit on formal night.

Curt, thanks so much for all the info. We are heading to Europe(London, Paris and Barcelona for a cruise) this summer. What are the shoes the young men wear in Europe? My 16 year old tall skinny son has a nice sport coat we bought on sale at Banana Republic to wear with jeans but he needs comfy shoes to wear, both for touring and dinners out.

BTW I LOVE the pictures you post. Thanks again for your insight.

Archived