Young Men's Suit Style - for Soxfan05 (specifically)

I'm back with some more information. We tried on some suits Friday. A 38R fits my son reasonably well, but I think he needs a 28 for pants. When I say reasonably well, the jackets fit well through the shoulders and the length but are huge through the torso. I found a coat that wasn't too bad at Target but the smallest pants were 30 and they were huge, not sure I want to pay to alter $25 pants... Also at Penny's we found a jacket with a pretty decent fit, but that particular jacket had only pleated pants.

I know you mentioned "summer" but my son seems to prefer black.

I really love the style suggestions you've made in this thread, and I have a question. I know what the appropriate length for pants should be, with only a slight break. But for a teen who is used to longer pants, is is ok to go longer on suit pants if it makes him more comfortable? For formal night on a cruise?

Any suggestions on where to find a suit that might fit my son would be greatly appreciated!

Curt, thanks so much for all the info. We are heading to Europe(London, Paris and Barcelona for a cruise) this summer. What are the shoes the young men wear in Europe? My 16 year old tall skinny son has a nice sport coat we bought on sale at Banana Republic to wear with jeans but he needs comfy shoes to wear, both for touring and dinners out.

BTW I LOVE the pictures you post. Thanks again for your insight.

Okay, so to help more specifically...

I'm guessing that he got a blazer like one of these from Banana Republic

42ab9e0bd17606c420f5eb8f42090caf.jpgbcf02475d4ccf65c3e6a757941a79688.jpgea73efe77b1ae6e4f82bd8c491cfe12b.jpg

I love these Blazers and suits from Banana Republic, so if you got one on sale that is great.

They are great in the fact that they are the looser American style, so very easy to dress up more formally or dress down more casually!

So, in order to give you some shoe specifics (I already have some in mind), what color blazer is it?:confused:

Black, Navy, Khaki, Gray, Brown?

Then I can help with some great all around shoe choices!

(So far there are different Skechers, classic Converse, retro Adidas, and some Gola that could all work - depending on the Jacket)...

Let me know!:cool:

I'm back with some more information. We tried on some suits Friday. A 38R fits my son reasonably well, but I think he needs a 28 for pants. When I say reasonably well, the jackets fit well through the shoulders and the length but are huge through the torso.

Okay this is good info, and important for you to remember and realize.

The most important thing is that it fits the chest/shoulders.

So 34R sounds about right.

Just because of the way he is built, he is going to have to get the waist of any jacket taken in a bit.

I'm built in a similar ratio to him, and it is what I have to do all the time.

They simply don't make suits or jackets with that much of a drop from the chest to waist ratio. You won't find one that fits him well, right from the rack.

But don't worry, it's very easy and inexpensive to get the waist of the jacket taken in (should be on both sides, never the back seam).

I found a coat that wasn't too bad at Target but the smallest pants were 30 and they were huge, not sure I want to pay to alter $25 pants... Also at Penny's we found a jacket with a pretty decent fit, but that particular jacket had only pleated pants.

I wouldn't pay $25 to alter pants either...

I'm sure that we can find some 28s as separates.

And yes, don't get pleated for him. It's just too much fabric for his build.

Jacket fit is first and foremost. Pants are second, because it is still easier to find and fit.

I know you mentioned "summer" but my son seems to prefer black.

No problem, I'm just making suggestions. But if you know me at all, you know that I really think it's most important to let the teens enjoy their suit wearing and buying experience.

They need to have the leeway to choose for themselves and make their own style out of it. So if he likes black, I applaud him having his own style opinion!

I really love the style suggestions you've made in this thread, and I have a question. I know what the appropriate length for pants should be, with only a slight break. But for a teen who is used to longer pants, is is ok to go longer on suit pants if it makes him more comfortable? For formal night on a cruise?

I am not a real stickler on pant length. Your son is making the effort to dress up and wear a nice suit. If the pants being a bit longer fit his style or personality better, let him do that.

Personally I wear some dress boots with my suits most of the time, and my pants are a little longer to balance that out.

In general, as I've said in this thread and elsewhere before - Young Men can hate wearing suits, if their parents and society keep forcing them to wear them like their great grandparents.

Let them update and modernize the suits to make them their own, and more comfortable to their personal style.

So if he likes his pants a little longer, go for it!

He'll be much more likely to wear and be comfortable in the future, if he doesn't feel like his grandpa.

I also applaud you for being aware enough to find ways to let him make it his own.

Any suggestions on where to find a suit that might fit my son would be greatly appreciated!

I'm going to go through your store options, and come up with some good directions...

Thank you so much for your prompt reply esp being so busy. We are having a hard time deciding if it is dark gray or blue. It is not a true navy but the dark gray has blue tones. It looks nice with jeans. I loved looking at your pictures of awards night and reading your comments. I really appreciate your help. I most often chose my wardrobe to match the manequins since it is so difficult for me to put together outfits. I'm afraid my son has inherited my fashion sense (or lack of).

Thank you so much for your prompt reply esp being so busy. We are having a hard time deciding if it is dark gray or blue. It is not a true navy but the dark gray has blue tones. It looks nice with jeans. I loved looking at your pictures of awards night and reading your comments. I really appreciate your help. I most often chose my wardrobe to match the manequins since it is so difficult for me to put together outfits. I'm afraid my son has inherited my fashion sense (or lack of).

Thanks!

We're getting closer, and we're going to call it Dark Navied Gray (I know the jacket from the store in my mind).

The good thing about that is that it's a nice neutral that goes well with a lot (which is why it works well with the jeans).

We can go with more black/gray tones, or actually browns can be great with that Navy.

Just three more questions, then I'm good to go...

#1 Are most of his belts, watches, other shoes in Black or Brown tones?

#2 What general colors are most of the shirts that you're going to be packing to mix and match?

#3 Also, since I'm narrowing down some great specific choices, what is a price range or budget?

Then I'm ready to virtual shop for you!:cool:

I am getting excited we are closing in on options. He is a very tall skinny 16 year old. His wardrobe consists of 5 different pairs of Pumas. All white with some bit of color. He has one pair of dress black shoes but has out grown them. He has a nice black belt that he saved for (a Louis Vuitton) The color shirts will most likely be blue or he has a white one. His hair is strawberry blond and eyes blue/green so I like him in the blues. I don't want to say cost is no object but I would have no problem spending over $150 or more if it means he doesn't get blisters or achey feet. BTW if you ever need any dental questions answered do not hesitate to ask. Thank you again.

He is a very tall skinny 16 year old. His wardrobe consists of 5 different pairs of Pumas. All white with some bit of color. He has one pair of dress black shoes but has out grown them. He has a nice black belt that he saved for (a Louis Vuitton) The color shirts will most likely be blue or he has a white one. His hair is strawberry blond and eyes blue/green so I like him in the blues.

If his hair is strawberry blond, and blue/green eyes - and you tend to like him in blue - then actually from now on, I'd try to steer him in the direction of darker brown accessories.

That's going to be a good match with his coloring and clothes.

That's just an FYI for you.

But since he already likes Pumas, there are some that can be perfect for what you both are looking for...

Again, just ideas I'm throwing out for inspiration, let me know if we're heading in the right direction.

Puma Sport Fashion King Re-Luxe

6901-634866-d.jpg

Puma Sport Fashion Speedcat Re-Luxe

10101-531100-d.jpg

Puma Future Cat Low US

10757-714802-d.jpg

Skechers Endorsive Extride

10280-879450-d.jpg

Skechers Talus Ultimatum

1396-705130-d.jpg

Onitsuka Tiger by Asics

6219-655445-d.jpg

Just ideas to start...

A 38R fits my son reasonably well, but I think he needs a 28 for pants. I found a coat that wasn't too bad at Target but the smallest pants were 30 and they were huge, not sure I want to pay to alter $25 pants... Also at Penny's we found a jacket with a pretty decent fit, but that particular jacket had only pleated pants.

For stores, I'm in the western suburbs of Des Moines, Iowa. Obviously we have a Target. Our malls are Valley West where we have Penny's, Younkers, and an upscale local department store, Von Maur. Our "new" mall is Jordan Creek, there is a Dillards, another Younkers, Gap, and Abercrombie. Outside the malls, we have a Mens Warehouse and someplace called S&K Menswear that I have never been too. Our local men's clothing stores have consolidated into one company, Midwest Clothiers (dot com), with several stores including Reichardt's, Badower's and Mr. B, and that is where I would go for a nice suit for an adult, or for myself, but again, I'm not sure they have anything priced within reason for a child to wear once or twice.

Okay, so I'm going to start off with some things in general...

You need to go with the 38R suit jacket, then just get the waist tailored in a bit. I'm guessing about one inch on each side should do it.

You don't want to take it in much more than that, if it starts looking like an hourglass, then it's too much.

Then on the pants, I think that in general you are going to have to go for a 30 inch waist flat front.

That's pretty much the smallest they usually make in the Men's Departments, unless you can find the same brand suit separate pants in the Kids Department at a 28 inch waist.

I'm thinking that the 30 inch pant at Target was mis-marked, as there is no way that a 30 inch pleated pant was smaller on him than a 30 inch flat front pant.

The pleats automatically add more fabric by a few inches all around, so by pure scientific mass, it can't be smaller.

I'm going to say when trying on pants in the future, be sure that he brings/wears one of his own belts. If not, then grab one from the store racks.

Try all the pants on with the belt.

If his waist if truly a 28, then belting a 30 flat front should not make that much of a difference.

Then in general, after the cruise or whatever, look at the pictures of wearing the suit jacket in more funky, casual, dress down ways, and let him wear it at other times if he wants. Get more use out of it.

Finally, I'm not quite sure of your budget or range at this point, so I'm going to give you some options from the different stores and such in your area.

Hold on, I'll be back...;)

Curt your choices are perfect. His faves are the Puma Future Cat Low and the Adidas originals. He just out grew his Steve Maddens so we had to retire them. He was looking at the pictures of the jackets and noticed the dark gray pictured with white pants. He would have never chosen that but now is open to it seeing it in print. I will check our Nordrtroms for these options or maybe I can find them on line. Thank you again we all really apprectiate your help. I just love reading your threads and replies.

Okay, so I'm going to start off with some things in general...

You need to go with the 38R suit jacket, then just get the waist tailored in a bit. I'm guessing about one inch on each side should do it.

You don't want to take it in much more than that, if it starts looking like an hourglass, then it's too much.

Then on the pants, I think that in general you are going to have to go for a 30 inch waist flat front.

That's pretty much the smallest they usually make in the Men's Departments, unless you can find the same brand suit separate pants in the Kids Department at a 28 inch waist.

I'm thinking that the 30 inch pant at Target was mis-marked, as there is no way that a 30 inch pleated pant was smaller on him than a 30 inch flat front pant.

The pleats automatically add more fabric by a few inches all around, so by pure scientific mass, it can't be smaller.

I'm going to say when trying on pants in the future, be sure that he brings/wears one of his own belts. If not, then grab one from the store racks.

Try all the pants on with the belt.

If his waist if truly a 28, then belting a 30 flat front should not make that much of a difference.

Then in general, after the cruise or whatever, look at the pictures of wearing the suit jacket in more funky, casual, dress down ways, and let him wear it at other times if he wants. Get more use out of it.

Finally, I'm not quite sure of your budget or range at this point, so I'm going to give you some options from the different stores and such in your area.

Hold on, I'll be back...;)

Alright, I'm finding exact sizes for you, and I'm just going to post them one at a time in separate posts.

I was trying to do a whole post with all together last night, but it wouldn't let me.

So, let's start with this...

100% Wool from Target (also can order from Amazon is you have an account for faster shipping)...

Merona Black (with subtle Stripe)

Jacket is $99 - 38R

6f3e48126c52ca83effca32696de8306.jpg

Pants are $49 - 30x32

0e9013d7879b0562a8e8d5e037004061.jpg

And fantastically at this time Express Men is having a big sale right now!

There is an Express in one of the malls that you mentioned before!

Express Men Black Stretch Wool Jacket

38R - $149.50

Express Men Black Stretch Wool Producer Pant

30x32 - $73.50

5a3ca0c9979c7698d500a645e85ca6cd.jpg72718f8159b285770ed6f0326861de4e.jpg

These are very young, hip, and comfortable! They are also cut more slim than regular Men's Suits, so should be a great fit for your son...

I love this brand, and the sale right now is making them more affordable.

Express Men is having their great young suit separates on sale right now, so anyone looking for these in the future, it's a great place if you hit a sale!

More ideas...

You can get this super cool White Tuxedo Jacket at pair it with the Black Wool Producer Pants!

$149.50

bdf369f84aa09297ae31ba47aa1450d0.jpg

You could even get this jacket, and dress it down more casual funky with dark jeans.

You could get this pinstriped Stretch Wool Producer Pant in Black pinstripes or gray pinstripes and mix and match with the black Stretch Wool Jacket!

$73.50

af7e7f6a765aabe9dc25e388149e22ff.jpg

Finally, for the moment...

This Express Stretch Cotton Sateen Jacket

$133.50

f7f72e9b43cb49d535f88103d7839e79.jpg

Can be mixed and matched with several of the Express Stretch Cotton Producer Pant

Buy one for $59.50, get one for $39.50

59f4c5267419437de7d020eed1d1496d.jpg881ea481b578344e9e427942751aaf28.jpg361d25afb9aa9bff6e7c20d79ba91d3f.jpg

Available in Light Gray Heather, Steam, Black, Caravan, Heather Gray, Marsh

Great idea for people trying to pack lighter, who have more than one Formal or Elegant Night.

This particular jacket would also look great dressed down with some jeans!

Curt your choices are perfect. His faves are the Puma Future Cat Low and the Adidas originals. He just out grew his Steve Maddens so we had to retire them. He was looking at the pictures of the jackets and noticed the dark gray pictured with white pants. He would have never chosen that but now is open to it seeing it in print. I will check our Nordrtroms for these options or maybe I can find them on line. Thank you again we all really apprectiate your help. I just love reading your threads and replies.

Thanks again for the positive comments!

Since it seems we're heading in a direction that he likes...

Here are the Puma Future Cat Lows for $80.96 at Zappos (free shipping)

10757-714802-d.jpg

Here are the Adidas Originals Gazelle 2 Lea for $69.95 at Zappos

10757-803707-d.jpg

These are another option Adidas SL72 for $59.95 at Zappos

9755-588429-d.jpg

These Adidas Superstar 2 are $54.97 at Shiekhshoes dot com

54-995.1.jpg

and finally, these classic Converse All Star Ox Low are $39.97 at Shiekhshoes

45-002.1.jpg

They're always a good classic backup, that as long as they are low tops, the European kids are totally embracing right now...

See if any of those work, and let me know if you need any more help!

He was looking at the pictures of the jackets and noticed the dark gray pictured with white pants. He would have never chosen that but now is open to it seeing it in print.

One more thing, while you are mentioning this...

Personally I really like the white pants/jeans look, but in my experience with myself and others...

They are not great for traveling! They get dirty really easily, and all it takes is one spilled lunch or dinner (watch out for ketchup or barbeque sauce!) to essentially ruin them.

A great different alternative for your son's coloring in particular would be a great pair of dark brown classic levi's!

These Levi's 517 Boot Cut Jeans (from Amazon) are great for a young guy of his proportions, and will never go out of style.

316TSS7x7LL._AA280_.jpg

These Levi's Classic 501 Pre-Shrunk (in Caffe) are super classic always in style as well...

41VnOBBX4VL._AA280_.jpg

These are from Langstons dot com, available in lots of sizes...

langstons_2042_4499685

All of these are a better traveling alternative to the white pants/jeans...

And will be an option that is cool, comfortable, and can be casual or look even more dressed up than regular jeans (due to their dark color) with Blazers or Suit Coats!

Just wanted to add that in, as it's an idea that makes a lot of sense for you son.

Thanks for the idea of brown pants rather than white. Much more practical. I love Zappos and now a new favorite is sheikshoes.com. My daughter (14years old) will love it. Although Europe is June we leave for San Juan in one month. These will work for dinners on Adventure of the seas too. As always, I appreciate all you do, thanks again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Curt. I did come home with a suit today that I think will work but I'm not in love with it. I was forced to buy a coupon book for $5 from my daughters school that was good only today at a department store I don't care for, so my son and I headed over there this morning to see if we could find a deal on a suit. What we did find was a great sales clerk, these are so few and far between. It is a relief to find decent help in department stores, that is such a rare occurance.

We bought a solid black suit from Billy London. It is poly/rayon blend - not my first choice in material obviously. However, the coat is a nice 3 button with the side vents in back, still a bit baggy through the waist but fits pretty well overall, better than most of the coats we've tried, and was 40% off, then an additional 15% off with one of the coupons total $94.61. Flat front pants were the best fit we've found off the rack, 30x30, nice fit through the waist, length was pretty good, still lots of extra fabric in the back though. Those were 40% off plus a $10 coupon from my coupon book for a total of $37.10 grand total $132. It is the best off-the-rack fit we've found and the price was right! I don't want to spend much overall since I think he'll only wear it twice on the cruise, so even though I didn't pay much for the suit, I don't know if I'll invest in tailoring just to wear it twice.

I do love those Express suits you posted, so we'll head over there and see if we can find something with a better fit. I don't mind paying more for better quality and a better fit.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Curt.

You are welcome as always, even if the suggestions got you headed in the right direction, that's good.

We bought a solid black suit from Billy London. It is poly/rayon blend - not my first choice in material obviously. However, the coat is a nice 3 button with the side vents in back, still a bit baggy through the waist but fits pretty well overall, better than most of the coats we've tried, and was 40% off, then an additional 15% off with one of the coupons total $94.61.

So something like this...

fe0eb30f5c06bdee6eba713336d1fe37.jpg

Which is still better than what you ended up starting with...

Yes, the poly/rayon is definitely not my favorite - but looking at the positive Billy London does cut younger, which is one of the reasons it fit better.

Flat front pants were the best fit we've found off the rack, 30x30, nice fit through the waist, length was pretty good, still lots of extra fabric in the back though. Those were 40% off plus a $10 coupon from my coupon book for a total of $37.10 grand total $132. It is the best off-the-rack fit we've found and the price was right!

I'm so glad to hear this! I was confident that Flat Front 30s would be the best off the rack fit you could get!

I don't want to spend much overall since I think he'll only wear it twice on the cruise, so even though I didn't pay much for the suit, I don't know if I'll invest in tailoring just to wear it twice.

I definitely wouldn't deal with the pants at all at this point.

But, I'd see if you can find a tailor to maybe just take in the jacket at each side of the waist a little bit - even if it's $10 to $20.

It's a subtle thing that will make such a difference, if you decide to do it.

Then just let him wear the jacket after the cruise for whatever he wants! (School, going out, etc.) Then he's gotten more use out of it.

I do love those Express suits you posted, so we'll head over there and see if we can find something with a better fit. I don't mind paying more for better quality and a better fit.

If you end up with something there or not, it gives you another option or starting place for the future.

Or sometimes, it could actually end up helping someone else reading in the future - so again, I'm glad to help.

Thanks for letting us know how it went, and feel free to ask if you need any more help or suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Curt. This thread has been really helpful with giving me ideas. DS is 16, about 5'6" and 130 lbs. His waist is 28", shirt size 15 sleeve 32/33. He has dark brown curly hair and pale skin with brown eyes. We live in Minneapolis so a lot of the stores you mention (J Crew, Banana, Macys, H & M, Nordstrom) are available locally. He tends to wear a lot of medium to darker blues and browns. He likes more classic styles (old school sneakers, track jackets) but also knows how to tie a tie several ways.

Any specific recommendations would be great. I'm going to take him out shopping tomorrow night. Thanks.

Archived