What do you want to know about Grand Princess? Cruise Critic onboard July 13th-20th

kelly@

What do you want to know about Princess Cruises' new UK flagship? Intrigued by coastal Norway? I am setting sail this Sunday -- June 13 -- on an ex-U.K. journey to Norway's fjords aboard Grand Princess.

I thought this cruise would be of particular interest to fellow Brits, or indeed anyone keen to cruise out of Southampton, as Grand Princess will be homeporting in the U.K. next summer for cruises around Europe. I've always wanted to cruise to Norway to see the fjords and this is actually one of my first big ship cruises so I am really looking forward to it!

I will endeavour to check in several times daily (Internet access permitting) and will share my experiences with you right here.

My trip winds up on Sunday, July 20 and I plan to feature extensive reports about life onboard and keen regalings of experiences in port. Among those on the itinerary include Stavanger, which is home to Norway's oldest Cathedral, Stavanger Domkirke, the scenic and quaint town of Geiranger which lies in the famous Geirangerfjord and is a great place for just wandering or even kayaking. The ship then also makes a short afternoon trip to the smaller village of Hellesylt, which is just along the coast from Geiranger. The ship will then call at Trondheim and Honningsvag (North Cape) before I fly home from Tromso. If anyone has any tips on ports, please let me know!

Please post your questions here -- and, if you've got any insights to share, feel free to provide answers along with my dispatches. You can begin posting questions now -- and check back often!

Kelly

Kelly Ranson

UK Editor

Cruisecritic.co.uk

• Administrators

Say "hello" to Kelly, our UK-based Editor! She's sailing on one of my "dream cruises" -- and on my fave Princess ship -- so I'll be sure to follow along closely. I hope you'll all welcome Kelly and sail along too........

Laura

Am very envious. We did the Norwegian Fjords & North Cape cruise last July. It was awesome. If you want to read my review you can find it by logging on to: www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=31110

If Billy London is the CD say Hi! He was such a help in organising for our Roll Call Members Party on the first sea day and also in setting up our dinner arrangements in the Painted Desert Restaurant to help us celebrate our 40th Anniversary with our fellow Roll Call friends. He might remember us (??) as we had lots to talk about as he hailed from the East End of London where my husband and I attended school - his school was a rival of ours in the sports events!

The review will give you an insight to what we did. Have a great time and I look forward to reading your own review in time.

Unfortunately we cannot plan any cruises for the immediate future - husband just recovering from intensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy having been diagnosed with bone cancer but we hope to use our Advance Registration perks (which we did whilst on board Grand Princess last year) to plan a trip in mid-Summer 09 and will again be looking for a bargain with Princess.

Best wishes from Suron

We're looking forward to our first Christmas AND New Year sailing this December aboard the Grand!

There appears to be an itinerary gap between the cruise preceding ours and our December 19 departure out of Ft. Lauderdale. Speculation is that the Grand will be getting some sort of face lift during those off days. Can you check into that?

There are a number of posters who have recently commented on the Grand's increasingly shabby appearance and if the facelift is fact (vs fiction) that would be a wonderful treat!

Either way, we'll be on the Grand for our first 2 week cruise this December!

Thanks and BON VOYAGE!! :p

Hello Kelly

We have sailed Grand Princess 7 times, the last being a 12-day cruise of the British Isles last year and we will be bringing the ship to you next spring on the transatlantic repositioning cruise from Florida.

I think Southampton is one of the easiest and most efficient ports anywhere. I also posted a member review of last summer's cruise. I hope you enjoy Grand Princess as much as we have.

Hi Kelly

Just returned from the Fjords on Oceana....fantastic, you will have a great time! Best tip is to make sure you're out on deck for the journey up the fjord to Geiranger...we managed to get out there at 5.30...and it was well worth the early rising...superb views, and we were blessed with beautiful weather too....hope it's as good for you.

I look forward to reading your blog

Debbie

I'm going to be on the Grand in January and I also would like to know what will be done in wetdock just before Christmas. Some people have posted that a Sanctuary will be put in. Can you find out for sure. Enjoy your cruise and thank you in advance.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, we are on the Grand on the 6th Aug seeing the fjords and popping over to Iceland :) .

The only port that is the same is Geiranger so would like to hear any recommendations. Also would like an honest review of the ship as latest reviews are not fantastic about the Grand!

Have a great trip and hopefully the rain won't follow you!!:D

On the April transatlantic this year, there was an outstanding ensemble, the Prelude String Quartet, performing each night in the atrium. What a treat to hear this caliber of music every day! Are they still aboard? If so, I highly recommend hearing their concert(s). Please give them a hello from their fans in Alaska!

You won the love this cruise - I did! Seeing the Grand last month do the same one made me very jealous and now it is a year since we went.

Suzanne - I am really sorry to hear Ron has had a tough time recently. Best wishes for a speedy recovery x

and look after the ship because we're on the Grand after your sailing!

We will be interested in your review.

We were on the Sea Princess in 2005 on a similar itinerary except we made it all the way up to Spitzbergen - 78 degrees North:eek:

The 24 hour daylight above the artic circle is amazing, it circles the horizon the whole day:cool: We had a balcony and in hindsight we would have paid extra for an inside cabin so we could sleep better - the chinks of sunlight through the curtains/ drapes all night were disturbing - maybe take your own eyeshades!!

Walking around the cliff edge at Honnigsvag in T-shirt weather - awesome..

Enjoy it!!

The Grand Princess is today anchored beside the Forth Bridge just to the North west of Edinburgh. She looks stunning. It is just a shame the weather here in Scotland has not been too kind. Although it is dry now it was very heavy rain this morning.

Kelly - good job on the UK site.

The Grand Princess is today anchored beside the Forth Bridge just to the North west of Edinburgh. She looks stunning. It is just a shame the weather here in Scotland has not been too kind. Although it is dry now it was very heavy rain this morning.

Kelly - good job on the UK site.

And here is a link to some photos of Grand Princess by the Forth Bridge. The weather wasn't too great but here you go anyway!! Eurodam arrives in the Forth on Saturday (12th July) with Norwegian Jade arriving on the 22nd July so hope to get some photos of them too. :D

http://hibtastic.fotopic.net/c1542648.html

Hi, Hope you're having a wonderful time. We just disembarked from the Caribbean Princess in Brooklyn NYC having had a lovely cruise to Caribbean. While on the Cruise I booked the Grand Princess for a 14 day cruise from Ft Lauderdale for March 12th, 2009 again Caribbean. While on the Ship, some of the crew were saying it was an Old Bucket and leaked, We have sailed her several times quite a few years ago and loved her. Would you be good enough to let me know the condition as ofyour sailing, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!! Smooth sailing Joe & Ellen Zee, Philadelphia, Pa.

We are something similar in the summer.

Would be really interested in your and other cruisers advice on what options there are in these ports to do under ones own steam. Also, reports on the excursions if taken.

Just a short post to say thanks for the questions and information so far. I'll be sure to answer as many as I can. Only two days to go now so I am gathering all my cruise documents and checking weather forecasts -- let's hope the rainy U.K. weather doesn’t follow me. Lol! As I said before, I'll be onboard Grand Princess from this Sunday so I will be back here soon with my initial thoughts on the ship. And please feel free to send some more questions or advice!

Kelly

Kelly Ranson

U.K. Editor

Cruisecritic.co.uk

Just a short post to say thanks for the questions and information so far. I'll be sure to answer as many as I can. Only two days to go now so I am gathering all my cruise documents and checking weather forecasts -- let's hope the rainy U.K. weather doesn’t follow me. Lol! As I said before, I'll be onboard Grand Princess from this Sunday so I will be back here soon with my initial thoughts on the ship. And please feel free to send some more questions or advice!

Kelly

Kelly Ranson

U.K. Editor

Cruisecritic.co.uk

Welcome to the House of Fun. Gosh what a big font you have.

We're going to have to step up from the Sea to the Grand if we want to sail from Southampton on Princess (looking around at the moment).

Love the Sea. The boat, that is. Quite like the wet stuff as well, but it's clearly unsuitable for a 2 week holiday. Anyway, where was I?

Oh yes. Would appreciate small boat v large boat comments. I'm thinking too many people, booo, but more choices, hurray.

Is it cheaper or more expensive to go on the bigger boats?

Anyway, in between answering stupid questions from drunk Scots, do have a good time.

xxxx

i'm on the Aug 6th cruise but have never sailed with Princess before so would love to hear about the ship, its condition, what the food is like, things which are unmissable and what to avoid. Pretty much everything about your trip really! :)

hope you have a great time - i'm very jealous as we are counting down the days till our turn.

Here's a link to a thread on - err, a different cruise forum - which shows pictures of cruise ships in the fjords. The photographer has the great good fortune to live there, and one of his pastimes is to take photos of the various ships when they call there. This is the third year at least that he's posted these pictures - stunning, all of them.

Here's the link:

http://www.*****************/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=010366

So some time soon we ought to see some pictures of Grand Princess from her forthcoming visit. (Page 3 of the thread already has a picture of her from her June visit.)

Hi Kelly

Just wanted to add a PS to my earlier post...re Stavanger. We found a fantastic photo exhibition/installation around the lake...amazing wildlife photos by Steve Bloom, with a very interesting and informative film on his work in the nearby information point.

Enjoy your trip, and look forward to reading your posts

Debbie

Question: We are on a 12 day cruise to the fjords and iceland in August and were wondering when the formal nights will be and if they have crab legs one night in the dining room(this is my fav night:D ).

We are wanting to book Sterlings when we board but don't want to clash with any of these nights.

Thanks in advance

Its a glorious morning down here in the South of England so you should have a great sailaway tonight from Southampton. Never been on the 'Grand' but have two trips booked on her next summer to the Med. Have a great trip and hopefully this dreadful weather we have had recently is behind us now.

Will follow this post with great interest. Bon Voyage.

Jimmy

Archived