Yes Sir, HELL Is Just Up The Road, But You Can’t Go To HELL In A Taxi

Trainman-2

Yes Sir, HELL Is Just Up The Road, But You Can’t Go To HELL In A Taxi, You Have To Take A Tour To HELL!

Georgetown, Grand Cayman, 27 April 2009, 10:00 am, 4 ships In Port. Hundreds of Excursionistas have rushed ashore for ship sponsored excursions and are all waiting around. My Wife and I are trying to go to HELL in a taxi and then return.

DSCN8811.jpg

Me. Where Can I get a Taxi?

Native with tour sign. Where do you want to go?

Me. We want to go to HELL!

Native. You can’t go there in a Taxi, you have to go to HELL on a tour, only $20

Me. We don’t want a tour, we want a private taxi for the two of us.

Native. I can’t help you, I only do tours.

Me. Where Can I get a taxi”

Native. Go over there and see the Taxi Dispatcher.

Me. OK, Thanks

Me. Where can we get a taxi?

Taxi Dispatcher. Where do you want to go?

Me. We want to go to HELL in a taxi, hang around for awhile, take some photos, and then come back.

Taxi Dispatcher. You can go on a tour to HELL, and 7 Mile Beach, and the Turtle Farm for $20

Me. How long is the Tour?

Taxi Dispatcher. 2 hours

Me (to loving Wife) Do You want to do the tour?

Loving Wife. OK

Me (To Taxi Dispatcher) OK, We will go to HELL on the tour.

Taxi Dispatcher. OK, Come with me.

The Taxi Dispatcher takes us out into a lot full of Taxis, Small Vans, and Small Buses and puts us on a nice bus that sears about 30. The engine is running, the A/C is on, the bus is nice and cool, and two other couples are already on the bus. We sit for about 10 minutes while the Taxi Dispatcher dispatches several taxis and small vans.

Me (to Loving Wife) I don’t want to sit on this bus all day waiting for HELL to freeze over, Lets go.

Loving Wife. OK

We get off bus

Loving Wife. What do you want to do.

Me. Lets get some ice cream.

Loving Wife. OK

We eat ice cream and watch everyone else waiting in the hot sun for their tours.

Loving Wife. I want to go look in those shops.

Me. OK

Loving Wife. Nothing worth buying her but did you see that guy with the sign that said “HELL – Round Trip - $12

Me. No! Let’s go find him.

Me. (To Native No 2 with sign) We want to go to Hell. Your sign says $12 round trip

Native No 2 with sign. This is for 4 people

Me. Can’t you get a taxi for the two of us?

Native No 2 with sign. No you have to have 4 people to go to HELL

Me (To Loving Wife) I give up. Let’s go back to the ship.

Loving Wife. OK

:D :eek: :D :eek:

Funny, Trainman. We rented a car and drove where we wanted - including Hell. It wasn't worth the trip to Hell, but the rest was lovely. We went up to Rum Point Beach and all around the island. I forgot the cost, but it was well worth whatever it was.

Everyone on the Island is driving on the wrong side of the road! :eek:

LOL, why it is the 'wrong' side of the road, it is just the other side of the road to than the one you are used to :p (actually it is quite easy to adapt).

Yes Sir, HELL Is Just Up The Road, But You Can’t Go To HELL In A Taxi, You Have To Take A Tour To HELL!

Georgetown, Grand Cayman, 27 April 2009, 10:00 am, 4 ships In Port. Hundreds of Excursionistas have rushed ashore for ship sponsored excursions and are all waiting around. My Wife and I are trying to go to HELL in a taxi and then return.

DSCN8811.jpg

Me. Where Can I get a Taxi?

Native with tour sign. Where do you want to go?

Me. We want to go to HELL!

Native. You can’t go there in a Taxi, you have to go to HELL on a tour, only $20

Me. We don’t want a tour, we want a private taxi for the two of us.

Native. I can’t help you, I only do tours.

Me. Where Can I get a taxi”

Native. Go over there and see the Taxi Dispatcher.

Me. OK, Thanks

Me. Where can we get a taxi?

Taxi Dispatcher. Where do you want to go?

Me. We want to go to HELL in a taxi, hang around for awhile, take some photos, and then come back.

Taxi Dispatcher. You can go on a tour to HELL, and 7 Mile Beach, and the Turtle Farm for $20

Me. How long is the Tour?

Taxi Dispatcher. 2 hours

Me (to loving Wife) Do You want to do the tour?

Loving Wife. OK

Me (To Taxi Dispatcher) OK, We will go to HELL on the tour.

Taxi Dispatcher. OK, Come with me.

The Taxi Dispatcher takes us out into a lot full of Taxis, Small Vans, and Small Buses and puts us on a nice bus that sears about 30. The engine is running, the A/C is on, the bus is nice and cool, and two other couples are already on the bus. We sit for about 10 minutes while the Taxi Dispatcher dispatches several taxis and small vans.

Me (to Loving Wife) I don’t want to sit on this bus all day waiting for HELL to freeze over, Lets go.

Loving Wife. OK

We get off bus

Loving Wife. What do you want to do.

Me. Lets get some ice cream.

Loving Wife. OK

We eat ice cream and watch everyone else waiting in the hot sun for their tours.

Loving Wife. I want to go look in those shops.

Me. OK

Loving Wife. Nothing worth buying her but did you see that guy with the sign that said “HELL – Round Trip - $12

Me. No! Let’s go find him.

Me. (To Native No 2 with sign) We want to go to Hell. Your sign says $12 round trip

Native No 2 with sign. This is for 4 people

Me. Can’t you get a taxi for the two of us?

Native No 2 with sign. No you have to have 4 people to go to HELL

Me (To Loving Wife) I give up. Let’s go back to the ship.

Loving Wife. OK

:D :eek: :D :eek:

That's great....and funny......

Here's what I do on Grand Cayman Island....

About 2/3 weeks prior to the cruise, I rent a car. The price is right and the car company sits on the main drag just a few blocks from the docks. 15-20 minutes and we are on a van to the airport to pick up our car with a few other people. 15-20 minutes later, we are on the road to Hell or Rum Point or wherever we want to go.....

Don't want to go to Hell with a couple thousand people in crowded vans that spend more time waiting than "going". Love the freedom of having my own car and avoiding the crowds; I can be to Hell and back before most of the shore excursion vans have departed.....:D

We went to Hell and back. TWICE.

Realized I had no one to write, it was hot as, well, you know, and took the stupid picture that everyone sticks their face in.

God knows if they ever wash that thing.

We went to Hell and back. TWICE.

Realized I had no one to write, it was hot as, well, you know, and took the stupid picture that everyone sticks their face in.

God knows if they ever wash that thing.

LOL! Ive only been there once and i still have the post card hanging up in my room!

One thing to say THANK YOU! I know how hard it is to post LIVE from a ship! Thank you VERY much for the detailed pictures and comments so far! :D

Post LIVE? I think he did one better...he posted from the future! April 27th to exact!:D

Great story!!

Post LIVE? I think he did one better...he posted from the future! April 27th to exact!:D

Great story!!

I was thinking the same thing because I will be on my cruise then! :)

Great thread! I haven't been to Hell yet! Sounds like you have to go through it to get there!

About 2/3 weeks prior to the cruise' date=' I rent a car. The price is right and the car company sits on the main drag just a few blocks from the docks. 15-20 minutes and we are on a van to the airport to pick up our car with a few other people. 15-20 minutes later, we are on the road to Hell or Rum Point or wherever we want to go.....[/quote']

That sounds neat. Do you need an international drivers license to rent a car there or will a regular US government issued license due. Also, about how much does that cost to rent?

That sounds neat. Do you need an international drivers license to rent a car there or will a regular US government issued license due. Also, about how much does that cost to rent?

I know that in St. Maarten you just need an American license thats all my dad needed last week.

tlb, I'll have to check my papers at home for the price. From what I remember, it was very reasonable. They picked me up with a shuttle at the pier and drove me to the rental office.

It was not difficult getting used to the other side of the road. I used my US driver's license. The rental company gave me a good map and we followed that.

I would do it that way again. You have your own schedule and see what you want. The ride to Rum Point was long, though, so you have to plan your time wisely.

Archived