Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

TLCOhio

THANKS to several CC regulars who posted nice comments on some of the larger pictures I have started to post. I finally figured out how to post these larger pictures on these boards. Below are six samples of pictures from Oslo Vigeland Park, Copenhagen Royal Palaces, Helskinki (inside dome Rock Church), Catherine’s Palace main reception room, Hermitage Grand Staircase and Peterhof fountains. Just a small sampling!!! Have lots more, including from Moscow, Tallinn, Stockholm, southern England, on the ship, etc. Will post more pictures and added detailed reports later.

Photo secrets? It's a little more than just the "camera". It's a Nikon D50 SLR. Good, but not at the super pro level. Lots of people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. Here are some of my tips, secrets and suggestions to share. I found taking cruise and travel pictures is fun, plus cheaper than shopping for souvenirs.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LENS: Many of the nice pictures in certain famed palaces and churches in Russia, etc., were taken with a new 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. There are cases where that longer lens (have a 70-300 mm zoom) can really help. In many cases, my basic 18-55 mm zoom covers the basic middle range. It's nice to have one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

3. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

4. STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

5. PEOPLE: Having people as a part of the picture gives it context, interest, etc. Lots of "just the place" pictures are nice, but I have found that the ones with some human involvement and/or connection look and work better.

What are your secrets and tips to share for better photographic success?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-Oslo-VigelandParkFount.jpg

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

A-StP-PeterhofFount.jpg

Terry,

Great pictures!! I have to ask, how do you insert the large pictures into your post? I'm only able to add the thumbnails. I've tried different methods, but no luck.

Thanks,

Terry, Great pictures!! I have to ask, how do you insert the large pictures into your post? I'm only able to add the thumbnails. I've tried different methods, but no luck. Thanks,

THANKS to msmoger and Nancy for the kind comments!

It took me a long, long time to get all of "it" figured out, but here is the kind of quick version for how to do it. You need your pictures to be in a smaller jpeg version such as about 1000 wide maximum. Your larger 2 or 3 mp pictures will be too large to post. Then you have to have a posting site off of your computer such as by using a free service such as photobucket.com. There are other sites that can be used for such "storage" of these pictures. Cruise Critics can't or doesn't want to hold too many of these larger pictures on their site. You will upload your pictures to this outside "web host". From that photo site, you need to copy the imbedded location where your pictures are "parked" on this outside server. Then you paste in that exact imbedded address into the bottom of your CC posting. Check it in preview. Is that clear as mud for how it works? Once you get the process down, it's easy.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

It took me a long, long time to get all of "it" figured out, but here is the kind of quick version for how to do it. You need your pictures to be in a smaller jpeg version such as about 1000 wide maximum. Your larger 2 or 3 mp pictures will be too large to post. Then you have to have a posting site off of your computer such as by using a free service such as photobucket.com. There are other sites that can be used for such "storage" of these pictures. Cruise Critics can't or doesn't want to hold too many of these larger pictures on their site. You will upload your pictures to this outside "web host". From that photo site, you need to copy the imbedded location where your pictures are "parked" on this outside server. Then you paste in that exact imbedded address into the bottom of your CC posting. Check it in preview. Is that clear as mud for how it works? Once you get the process down, it's easy.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

It's going to take a couple of readings of your response before I get it! I use a Canon digital point and shoot, very simple, and I take very good pictures - we have albums full of prints to prove it! I usually print out my own 4X6. I have an iMac and use the iPhoto program to store my pictures. However, I have not been very successful in sending pictures through email or to a blog. I have a method of copying a photo in iPhoto, saving it to my desktop and then select the photo I want to send. It's tedious and really hit or miss.

I thought iPhoto was my "web host". Would love to get this figured out before we return from the Baltics!

It's going to take a couple of readings of your response before I get it! I use a Canon digital point and shoot, very simple, and I take very good pictures - we have albums full of prints to prove it! I usually print out my own 4X6. I have an iMac and use the iPhoto program to store my pictures. However, I have not been very successful in sending pictures through email or to a blog. I have a method of copying a photo in iPhoto, saving it to my desktop and then select the photo I want to send. It's tedious and really hit or miss. I thought iPhoto was my "web host". Would love to get this figured out before we return from the Baltics!

I have a Mac computer and use iPhoto. It's a great program, but it does not do the "imbedding". If you can post your e-mail, I can communicate directly to you and then we can hook up by phone. That's easier to walk/talk through the process. Once you get down the basics, it's fairly easy. Happy to help more. Terry in Ohio

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks Terry!! I have one more "photo challenged" question. Most of my pictures have been taken with a fairly high resolution (3 mp or higher). Is there a way to edit the pictures that are sitting on my hard drive down to a smaller picture? I'm sorry for sounding so ignorant. :confused:

Thanks again.

Thanks Terry!! I have one more "photo challenged" question. Most of my pictures have been taken with a fairly high resolution (3 mp or higher). Is there a way to edit the pictures that are sitting on my hard drive down to a smaller picture? I'm sorry for sounding so ignorant. :confused: Thanks again.

I assume on your computer you have some type of program such as iPhoto that organizes and handles your pictures, right? In iPhoto, there is an option or step called . . . EXPORT, where you can prepare a picture to be in jpeg, pdf or other format. You will export your chosen picture and have that moved to on your desktop so that you can send or share it with others. As you do that important export step, you should have the option of deciding on what size and/or quality of picture you want copied and made ready for other use or transfer. That's where you can pick the size, including width, etc.

Most of what I have posted here are about 1000 wide by 670 high or about 275.5 KB (282,080 bytes) in size. Does this help?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I assume on your computer you have some type of program such as iPhoto that organizes and handles your pictures, right? In iPhoto, there is an option or step called . . . EXPORT, where you can prepare a picture to be in jpeg, pdf or other format. You will export your chosen picture and have that moved to on your desktop so that you can send or share it with others. As you do that important export step, you should have the option of deciding on what size and/or quality of picture you want copied and made ready for other use or transfer. That's where you can pick the size, including width, etc.

Most of what I have posted here are about 1000 wide by 670 high or about 275.5 KB (282,080 bytes) in size. Does this help?

When I open iPhoto and select a photo I go to File and select Export. The image size for 4x6 is 425X283 or thereabouts. Then you give it a name.jpg and save to Desktop. OK so far? Perhaps the embedding site is better for multiple pictures? How do you get prints made, the same site?

matierney@comcast.net

When I open iPhoto and select a photo I go to File and select Export. The image size for 4x6 is 425X283 or thereabouts. Then you give it a name.jpg and save to Desktop. OK so far? Perhaps the embedding site is better for multiple pictures? How do you get prints made, the same site?

Making prints should be a function of doing "PRINT". This assumes you're going to print it out on your printer. Then you have a choice of what type of paper/quality to use, etc. Or, do you want more of a photo-quality prints you would get from a commercial store? Have sent you an e-mail.

Terry THANKS!!! That did it. You're the best. :D:D

Terry THANKS!!! That did it. You're the best. :D:D

THANKS, Michael, for the kind comments! I have seen some of your larger pictures being posted. Glad it's working and showing off those nice results. Keep sharing and posting. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 3 weeks later...

Terry,

I am constantly amazed by your shots; you take amazing photos! I must say though, that I am a wee bit jealous of your 10-20mm lens - what a beautiful wide angle!!! I shoot with a D80 (my baby!), and just got a fantastic 50mm glass that is so much fun... can't wait to put it through its paces in Europe this summer! Thanks for constantly sharing your talented photog skills - and the subject matter is pretty easy on the eyes too!

Happy clicking,

Liz

• 10 months later...

Great shots, Terry.

As I have commented on other threads, I envy the way that you seem to be able to get even exposure across the picture. For example, if I took the pictures inside the church, Catherine's Palace and the Hermitage would have auto exposed on the light parts ie the ceiling in the church, the windows in C's Plce. The red carpet would have been underexposed. When I try to adjust them afterwards it spoils the overall effect.

All of your pics here and others you have posted have great lighting and depth of field.

Testing your method of posting pics. What am I doing wrong?

For posting photos to these boards, your FIRST STEP is pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc. SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc. THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop. FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would, FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let me know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as this picture does below. You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these boards.

Does this help some? Reactions? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I notice you talked about low lighting inside and keeping the camera steady. Is the the ultimate trick to good inside/low light pictures?

I got a Canon DSLR Rebel XSI in Dec. and have been trying to get good pictures with bad lighting in low light restaurants and late evening shots w/out that burst of bright light from the flash.

Someone told me to get a low light lens and someone else told me it was just keeping the camera steady so the aperture can pull the light in without shaking.

Is that right?

I notice you talked about low lighting inside and keeping the camera steady. Is the the ultimate trick to good inside/low light pictures?

I got a Canon DSLR Rebel XSI in Dec. and have been trying to get good pictures with bad lighting in low light restaurants and late evening shots w/out that burst of bright light from the flash.

Someone told me to get a low light lens and someone else told me it was just keeping the camera steady so the aperture can pull the light in without shaking.

Is that right?

Both of them are correct.

As you may recall, photography / exposure depends on 3 things: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

Aperture is the opening of the lens. The larger the aperture, the more light you let into the camera.

Shutter speed is the length of time that light gets into your camera. The longer / slower the shutter speed, the more time you're letting light into the camera.

ISO is the sensitivity of your camera's sensor to light. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive the sensor is to light.

For low-light photography, you want want to get as much light into the camera as possible. You do this by using any one or a combination of:

• a larger aperture (small f-number),
  • longer / slower shutter speed, and/or
  • higher ISO

Your first friend told you to get a low-light lens. That would be a lens with a larger aperture (smaller f-number). Usually, you'd look for apertures of f/2.8 or larger (smaller f-number). Examples of such lenses include the 30mm f/1.4 ($400), the 50mm f/1.4 ($400), the 50mm f/1.8 ($100), etc. As you can see, the 50mm f/1.8 lens is the best value for a low-light lens at $100.

Your second friend told you to hold the camera steady, implying that you should use a slower / longer shutter speed. If you plan to do this, you should probably use a tripod or place the camera on a steady, stable surface. This helps to avoid camera shake & blurriness when you're using slow shutter speeds.

Hope that makes sense. :)

1) Set ISO higher. Should set a minimum of 800, on your camera likely push to 1600 with decent results for web and 4x6 prints. The higher the ISO the more senstive the sensor is become to light.

2) Aperture on lense. This is the opening so to speak. Most consumer zoom lenses are 3.5. Getting a 2.8 lense almost gets you a full stop, little less than 2x more light gathering power. A 2.8 lense often is 3-4 times more expensive and twice as big and heavy. If you go as picsboy suggest to a prime you can signficantly faster 30 or 50mm 1.8 primes for only a couple hundred dolalrs. They aren't zoom lenses but perfect indoor / fast lenses that give you another two stops over a 3.5 consumer zoom lense.

3) Shutter speed, slow this down, if you have IS or VC then for 18-55 lense with a steady hand and soft push you can likely shoot 1/15. A rule of thumb on how slow WITHOUT VC would be 1/focal length. IE for 55mm shoot faster than 1/50, for 30mm lense shoot faster than 1/30. With IS or VC can usually go 2 to 4 x slower for same result.

Good luck

Is that right?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When we did our early July cruise along the Norway Coast, there were lots of pictures opportunities along this scenic coast, in the spectacular fjords, around the dramatic Lofoten Islands, going up the North Cape at the top of Europe, seeing puffins and reindeer, doing Copenhagen, Windsor Castle, etc. This live/blog posting has gotten nearly 19,000 view, so far. Feel free to check it out and make any comments or raise any questions. Took about 3,000 pictures on this trip, having my laptop along to edit, upload as we traveled, etc. Below are a few visual samples for what we saw and experienced.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coast lines of the fjords.

FjordsDramaticClouds2.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360 degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

We went to the end of the road for the dramatic Lofoten Islands. It is a village called “A”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. Simple name for a charming fishing town. We had box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock. This was our view with the busy and noisy birds.:

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from is the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

In Bergen’s historic Hanseatic warehouse area, this folk music group is entertaining as people sit outside, drink beer (at $13 each) and enjoy the great weather day.:

BergenFolkSingers.jpg

Archived