From BA or to BA

ariellejesse

A past thread said that cruises to Buenos Aries from Santiago pass some important scenic coastline during the night hours. Is this true for NCL as well as Princess, etc.? Is it definitely preferable to sail from Buenos Aries to Santiago? What about prevailing winds--any advantage one way or the other?

I had no idea about this when we booked our cruise and just lucked out that the only date we could sail happened to be on a cruise leaving Buenos Aires. The Cruise director on our cruise made the comment that the folks sailing from Valparaiso missed out on seeing the glaciers that line the Beagle Channel west of Ushuaia because they sailed past them in the dark on the way into Ushuaia. [However, I am not fully conversant with the detailed itinerary of every single ship and it is possible that a ship that arrives later in the day in Ushuaia may be passing that section of the Channel after sunrise. Hopefully someone will post with first-hand knowledge.]

Sailing from Buenos Aires, you sail through that part of the channel about two hours after you leave Ushuaia and it takes well over an hour to sail past them. You still have to look at what time you leave Ushuaia and what time sundown is for that date to make sure that you are sailing past in day light. Our ship left Ushuaia at 4pm and had a good five hours until sunset. The glacier were magnificent and I am glad that we got to see them.

The other coastal feature is the Chilean fjords. We sailed through them during the day (a cold, windy and overcast day). You would have to ask someone on a Valpo-BA sailing if they sailed through them or if they skirted past them in the middle of the night to make the next port.

I have sailed this itinerary multiple times.

I would recommend leaving out of Buenos Aires. But, for an entirely different reason. I recommend going a couple of days in advance and by far the nicer of the two cities for a pre cruise is Buenos Aires. This city has a European Charm and there is lots to see.

Keith

I am so upset...I booked Celebrity Infinity fom Valpo to BA...does this mean we will not see the glaciers? How can I find out...my cruise is Jan. 17...they have it the other way on Feb.28...is it still warm and summertime then?

Sounds about right. We left Ushuaia at about 4pm heading west and were sailing past the glaciers during main seating--about 2 hours after we sailed. Your 6 am sounds like a good guestimate since it takes a couple of hours to sail that portion of the channel; Sunrise is maybe even a bit earlier and I would bet that sunrise on the glaciers is eye-popping! You will be sailing into the rising sun. Dress warmly; it will be cold on deck at that hour of the morning.

Wishing you a cloud free sky!

Archived