Caribbean Princes May 10-17 2009 Quick Review

jtmalt

Just a quick review of our week on Caribbean Princess, a more detailed trip report will follow later. So, to answer the most common questions:

Embarkation: We arrived at the Pan American Pier at around 12:30. Boarding was pretty smooth, the line moved in batches to an indoor seating area, then row by row to the check-in line. Very smooth, no hassles. Duty free after check-in offered wine, liquor, soda, and water, I didn't see any beer. We were in our rooms by about 1:15, so only 45 minutes from drop off. I think that qualifies as a pretty quick check-in procedure.

Ship condition: The public areas are in very good condition, comparable to the Crown. International Cafe was great, although it lacks the freezer case and equipment for gelato, and doesn't offer the various candy apples and such that were available on the crown. Stateroom was equipped with a flat screen tv, but I didn't see video inputs available.

Stateroom was a little worn, particularly with regards to the carpeting and the shower enclosure (which was cracked in a number of places). Beds were very firm, but an egg crate quickly remedied that. Air conditioning in the stateroom worked properly and kept the room cool even in port. Some public areas were quite warm at times.

Food and dining: Food is subjective, but we found the food to be varied and well prepared. We ate in the Horizon Court for breakfast and lunch, and in the Coral and Island dining rooms, as well as the Cafe Caribe for dinners. While breakfast service was fine, dinner service in the dining rooms and the Cafe Caribe left a lot to be desired.

In the dining room, the waiters almost seemed annoyed, and service was very slow. In the Cafe Caribe, dirty plates were allowed to pile up and beverage service was ignored, but as soon as you left your seat to retrieve a salad or dessert, your table was immediately cleared, even if you left personal items on it. I don't know if a better system is needed, or if the personnel are just not attentive to their sections.

Staff were frequently discussing their schedules with their supervisors, and I got the impression that they were understaffed and unhappy. Again, we felt like we were an annoyance, and frequently saw staff making faces at diners behind their backs. If there was any negative at all on this cruise, the attitude of the dining staff was it.

Other staff: In contrast to the dining staff, all other staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. This is especially true for the International Cafe, and our room steward.

Theater: We attended only one comedy show in the Princess Theater, but didn't have any trouble finding seating. We didn't go to any of the production shows.

Sanctuary: We didn't use the sanctuary at all.

Lotus Spa: We signed up for a week pass to the thermal suite. My wife found it to be absolutely lovely. The Lotus Pool was deserted during port days.

Movement: We were in a forward cabin on Aloha deck (12). We didn't find the ship to move any more or less than any other ship we've been on, big or small. There is, however, a definite vibration in the stern section. I guess motion is a subjective thing, because we ran into someone who complained about how this was the worst ship she'd ever been on for motion. Honestly, we didn't feel it.

Disembarkation: Our group was called promptly at the expected time (8 am). Down to the terminal to collect our luggage, then a short pause at customs, and immediate access to a taxi. We arrived at the airport, went through USDA and security at terminal A and were at our gate by 9:00. I had expected a madhouse with Adventure of the Seas and Caribbean Princess unloading at the same time, but it wasn't really a big deal.

Overall, the trip was fabulous, and we enjoyed the ship very much.

I think that about covers it. Any specific questions, fire away, I'll answer them if I can. Info on our ports and excursions will follow in a full trip report later.

Joe

We are going to be on Deck 12, Forward.. what room were you in? Could you feel the vibration all the time?

Thanks so much!

We were in A255. No, we only felt vibration when we went to the back of the ship (for example, to the Cafe Caribe). But again, nothing unusual from anything we felt on any other ship. Up in our section a gentle sway at times, not even enough to make the coat hangers knock together :)

Thanks for the brief but complete review..Much appreciated..?Will be on the CB in a matter of days so hope the "attitude" gets better.. Been on many, many Princess cruises and never had any complaints but this will be the first cruise in about 5 years..All other cruises in between were on Holland America, Celebrity and RCCL. Thanks again..

I can't wait to sail on her in November. I didn't know that the International Cafe didn't have gelato. That's a bummer. :(

True, I missed that from the Crown. On the other hand, they did serve gelato in the dining room for desert occasionally, and free soft serve was available from Scoops poolside.

I was also on this sailing; I ate most of our breakfast at the horizon court, at certain tables I felt a constant vibrating while at port.

Our waiter at the Palm dining room was adequate; he was a nice a guy and he tried hard.

The chef's table was amazing; the head chef was great as well; I highly recommend it.

I also did the ultimate ship tour and that was a great experience;

I found the International cafe to be quite nice for a snack during the day or if we wanted a light breakfast and did not want to deal with the crowds at the Horizon.

I only went to one of the production show and the crew show at the end of the cruise but those were pretty good. The second comedian they had was quite funny!

I did find that the cruise director was pretty invisible much of the cruise; on my prior cruise on the Sapphire it seemed as though the cruise director was "around" a lot more. Sam the deputy criuse director and her assistant Colin were fantastic.

We also elected to use the egg crates as the bed was way to firm initially; it was fine after the egg crate was used.

Overall I loved the cruise and wish I was still there.

True, I missed that from the Crown. On the other hand, they did serve gelato in the dining room for desert occasionally, and free soft serve was available from Scoops poolside.

Scoops had free soft serve? I thought you had to pay at Scoops???

Pre-cruise: This year, we really wanted to spend time in Old San Juan, so we found a two day apartment rental through VRBO right on Calle del Sol, just two blocks up from Plaza de Armas. It was a charming apartment, with ground level balconies that opened right on the street, and we really felt like part of the neighborhood, rather than that insulated feeling you get in a hotel.

A great local restaurant, El Jibarito, was less than two blocks away. Great food, and reasonable priced. We ate there several times and really enjoyed it. Likewise, a very atypical Ben & Jerry's was also just a couple of blocks away, and we enjoyed hand made waffle cones there...they also serve breakfasts!

We wandered all over the old city, visiting the shopping districts, San Cristobal, and El Morro. Old San Juan is such a photogenic city, it's hard to just put the camera away and live in the moment.

Barbados: For the second time, we booked with Silver Moon II. Once again, a great excursion. Full review at this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19611998&postcount=125

St. Lucia: We signed up with Island Divers for a snorkel package to Ti Kaye (pronounced tee-kai) down at Anse Cochon. Nice day, pleasant beach and excellent snorkelling from shore. Full review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19613022&postcount=11

Antigua: We did a little shopping then relaxed aboard the ship. We had the Lotus Pool to ourselves for much of the morning!

Tortola: We were originally going to sail with White Squall 2, but at the last minute we booked with Patouche instead for a day of sailing and snorkeling aboard Shamwari, their 48' catamaran. We managed to avoid the rain for much of the day, but our luck finally ran out on our way back. Full review over at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19613979&postcount=11

St. Thomas: We took a shared taxi to Red Hook, and met up with Captain Kathleen of the sloop High Pockets for another day out on the water. Hands down the best excursion we've been on EVER! Worth every penny. Full review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19613503&postcount=59

All in all we enjoyed this trip the most out of all of our previous cruises. Everything was as near perfect as it could have been!

You can click the link in my signature for pictures. I'm loading them one port at time, but all of the ports should be available shortly.

Hey JTMALT!

There is a picture labled "Behind the secret door" on the Crown. Is that the door all the way aft on the Lido deck to the "secret" observation deck?

HLR

Hey JTMALT!

There is a picture labled "Behind the secret door" on the Crown. Is that the door all the way aft on the Lido deck to the "secret" observation deck?

HLR

The secret door is actually all the way forward on both the Crown and the Caribbean Princess, on deck 15 (the Lido deck). It leads to the observation deck above the bridge.

Here's a panorama of Antigua taken from the observation deck on the CB..click on it to see a bigger version:

2644050450079365048S425x425Q85.jpg

Hi Joe! Thanks for the review! I can't wait until Sunday when we board! Do you happen to remember what movies were playing on MUTS?

Evening movies were:

Sunday: The Yes Man

Monday: Seven Pounds

Tuesday: Grand Torino

Wednesday: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Thursday: He's Just Not That Into You

Friday: Marley & Me and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Saturday: Bride Wars and Milk

Thanks, Joe! One more question, are they still doing the same musical shows as last year? I think they were "Piano Man" and "Do you want to Dance"?

Three production shows: "Do You Want to Dance?", "Piano Man", and "Caribbean Caliente".

Just wondering if you recall the Captain's name. We are sailing on CB on Oct 17 to Canada/New England. We have done this cruise 2 times before, both with the same Captain-Andy Proctor. In 2004, the Grand and 2007 the Crown. Thanks!

We are on the Caribbean Princess right now. Second sea day on

the way to Bermuda.

Fantastic cruise. No complaints other than the food in Horizon court.

Will have an exhaustive review of this journey in a few days.

We are on the Caribbean Princess right now. Second sea day on

the way to Bermuda.

Fantastic cruise. No complaints other than the food in Horizon court.

Will have an exhaustive review of this journey in a few days.

Thanks for the "live" update. Who's you Maitre'D and CD. Leaving on Sunday just wondering if they will be there or if there will be a crew rotation to start the 9 day r/t out of NY?

Just wondering if you recall the Captain's name. We are sailing on CB on Oct 17 to Canada/New England. We have done this cruise 2 times before, both with the same Captain-Andy Proctor. In 2004, the Grand and 2007 the Crown. Thanks!

Captain was Attilio Guerini.

Archived