Crystal's View On Celebrity

kitty9

I'm currently sailing on Crystal's Serenity in Africa and have had the opportunity to speak to a number of staff members about their views of competing cruise lines. Overwhelmingly, they all have very positive things to say about Celebrity, which did kind of surprise me. While they really couldn't find too many positives about the other mass market lines, they all have said that Celebrity could very well become a major competitor to Crystal, especially if they decide to expand their itineraries to more exotic locations. They compliment the food and most especially the great service on all the Celebrity ships. Celebrity should really take this as a great compliment to how they're improving their image.

Darcie

hi Darcie[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] hope you are having a wonderful time!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising"]http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising[/url]

I don't think that Celebrity could really compete with Crystal unless they get some new ships or completely revamp a couple of their existing ships. The Crystal ships have very few inside cabins compared to a much larger number on a typical Celebrity ship and the cabins in general are bigger on Crystal than on Celebrity. People are not going to pay Crystal prices for a Celebrity cabin. In addition, the Crystal ships that are comparable in size to some Celebrity ships carry far fewer passengers and have a much higher ratio of crew to passengers. While it's nice to hear that Celebrity is well regarded, I don't think they are ready to dive in to the luxury cruise market at the present time.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=03>
<param name="day" value=19>
<param name="hour" value=17>
</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Hi Darcie:

Nice to hear additional positive comments about Celebrity's changes....and while I agree with "SuperJerryW's" observations, I think your comments are well taken. Celebrity is certainly raising their levels of service and quality. We have been on a number of Celebrity cruises and most recently returned from a Mercury 7-night cruise along the west coast and Mexico...they are doing some amazing things. The additional amenities will go a long way towards elevating their reputation...and while the "Crystal" model is still quite a bit higher....the gap is narrowing...while still maintaining a considerable price advantage.

Our cruise on the Mercury was OUTSTANDING! The service, outgoingness of the crew, and food were superb. SuperJerryW's comments about the cabin size variation is well taken, but I would also say that for equivalent $$$ spent, one could have a very nice suite on Celebrity for the price of a standard "outside" stateroom on Crystal. We have not yet sailed on Crystal Serenity (which I hear is wonderful), but we have traveled on both Harmony and Symphony...I think it fair to say that the level of attentiveness from a service standpoint was equal on our most recent Mercury sailing. Yes, there are still many things you "pay" individually for that are "included" in your Crystal fare....and yes the food advantage still goes to Crystal....but Celebrity is moving in the right direction.

I think the point is Celebrity is trying to make is to be the best it can...while continuing to be open, friendly and not stuffy. In the market they primarily compete (Celebrity, Holland America, Princess), they seem to be widening their lead....yes...there are some drawbacks to larger ships....and some of the intimacy is sacrificed when one goes to a larger scale...but the level of service has not been compromised...which seems to not be so true in the case of their peer group. In the Crystal Serenity, the line made a VERY WISE decision to not go too much larger in size than her older sisters....I fear that if they had, there would have been consequences.

Celebrity continues to improve and to raise the bar.....and everyone wins in that scenario!

We have sailed on Crystal and Celebrity and loved them both but I feel that Celebrity trumps Crystal in a few important areas.
We stayed in the royal suite on the Mercury and stayed in a penthouse suite on Crystal and the royal suite was far superior in every way, it was not even close. We paid quite a bit more for the Crystal and as far as accomadations go , no contest the celebrity suites are far better. The enteratinment on the Celebrity is superior also, probably because the Mercury is a far larger ship than the Harmony. The food was outstanding on both as was the service, but for the premium dollar Crystal commanded, I feel that Celebrity is the better value for luxury.

This is awesome to hear! I have only sailed Celebrity, specifically Mercury, and I cannot imagine being more pampered or catered to! ~Christine

October 19, 2003 on the Mercury

March 13, 2004 on the Mercury

October 13, 2004 on the Mercury
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

These comments are very encouraging. Never having sailed Celebrity before, we're sailing Mercury in Oct. for an 11 day Mexico cruise. I am so looking forward to our cruise, and to being on Celebrity for the first time. Can't wait. These boards provide a little "cruise satisfaction" each day. And in case you didn't know ... it's Cruise Week this week on the Travel Channel, and includes some new ship reviews! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

High Seas Gal
Northern California

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)
NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)
Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)
NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)
Celebrity Mercury Oct. 2004 (Mexico)

high seas-
We sailed our very first cruise on Celebrity's Zenith back in 1992. We had such a good experience, we have only sailed Celebrity since.
Have a great cruise!

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92
Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93
Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95
Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99
Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01
Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02
Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03
Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

hajekfam,
Celebrity, from all the posts and other information I've found, does seem to be a cut above Princess and NCL, which are the other lines we've sailed. October seems so far away ... but it will get here eventually! Thanks for the well wishes for our cruise! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

High Seas Gal
Northern California

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)
NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)
Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)
NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)
Celebrity Mercury Oct. 2004 (Mexico)

These comments from Crystal staff are credible and significant, since staff and crew from both lines frequently cross-migrate between the two companies. Several highly-regarded former Crystal managers now hold executive positions at Celebrity and their Crystal experience certainly seems to be influencing the new Celebrity product.

Nice to hear Crystal's saying good things about Celebrity. Having sailed on both lines, I love them both but to me, the bottom line is: Crystal wins hands down in cuisine, service and entertainment. While the top Suites on the M-class Celebrity ships are superior to those on the Crystal ships (nice as those are).

Archived