Cabin Upgrades

JHCB

I read all over about folks taking advantage of cabin upgrades. What does that mean? Is it similar to 1st class upgrades, if you ask and they have room, you will get it free? Is is an opportunity that if you pay you get a discount? I have a couple of cruises coming up soon. If there is the possibility, I would like to know how to recognize it and ask for it.

Thanks in advance!

"Cabin upgrades" come in many shapes, sizes, and $$$$. You could be visited by the elusive "upgrade fairy" in which case you are assigned a better cabin for who knows why reason. I would not hold my breath for this to happen. Although for some reason we were visited on our second Carnival cruise with a "suite" which is the size of a JS on RCCL. I have no idea why we got it but was happy none the less.

You can "upgrade" your own cabin if the price drops. You may see that getting into a better cabin may not cost too much and decide you want to upgrade. For example, at one point in our last booking, a JS was only $30 more per person, so for the extra room we forked out $60 more bucks.

Then you could wait till you get there and ask if better cabins are available. However, I would imagine you will have to pay the difference in fares. It is not like the airlines where you can get to the airport and for a small fee move into first class.

I consider an "upgrade" something they GIVE you! If you have to pay for a better room, then you've BOUGHT a better cabin!

True "upgrades" are rare, but they do happen, usually to 1st timers, or to very frequent cruisers, or those who have booked a guarantee booking....but, again--they are rare!

Archived