Dubrovnik on a Sunday

We will be in Dubrovnik on a Sunday, docking at 1 pm until 9 pm. I read here: http://www.dubrovniktravelinfo.com/2009/04/sunday-shopping-banned-in-croatia.html that shops can't be open on Sundays. Does this include restaurants as well? Will we be able to walk the wall?

Dubrovnik is the one port I really wanted to so so I will be so disappointed if everything is closed. Has anyone been there since this ban was passed?

Thanks.

I toured Dubvronik on a Sunday this past May. Restaurants were open as well as any shop that sells "tourist" things. I bought a nice painting by a lady artist whose gallery qualified to be open because they also had a postcard rack & some magnets for sale. So, many shops were open.

None of the nice clothing stores were. I know that because my luggage was lost and I was hunting. Ended up with a salmon colored T shirt that said Dubvronik and wore it to Ephesus the next day! I was a pretty thing.

:eek:

I toured Dubvronik on a Sunday this past May. Restaurants were open as well as any shop that sells "tourist" things. I bought a nice painting by a lady artist whose gallery qualified to be open because they also had a postcard rack & some magnets for sale. So, many shops were open.

None of the nice clothing stores were. I know that because my luggage was lost and I was hunting. Ended up with a salmon colored T shirt that said Dubvronik and wore it to Ephesus the next day! I was a pretty thing.

:eek:

Your experience in May has nothing to do with OP, as she is traveling after 01 September. The restrictions, according to her article, did not apply to stores on the coast from 01 June to 01 September.

Sorry, OP, I have no idea what will be open, but reading the article, it seems as if they are pretty strict.

Your experience in May has nothing to do with OP, as she is traveling after 01 September. The restrictions, according to her article, did not apply to stores on the coast from 01 June to 01 September.

Sorry, OP, I have no idea what will be open, but reading the article, it seems as if they are pretty strict.

Sorry if I mis-read the article. Assumed my pre-June 1st experience would equate to her post-Sept 1st. Some shops open, some closed.

We happened to his Dubrovnik on a religious holiday and the shops were closed. We still enjoyed the city and found the church open, some vendors selling hand made goods, and were able to walk the walls. There was an internet cafe open with the best prices imaginable. They also sold food. We generally did not eat off the ship but I did notice another resturant open as well. It's a lovely city with old world charm. We took a taxi from the port and that was very convenient as well. Hope I've been helpful and on topic.

Huh??? isn't May outside of those dates?

We will be in Dubrovnik on a Sunday, docking at 1 pm until 9 pm. I read here: http://www.dubrovniktravelinfo.com/2009/04/sunday-shopping-banned-in-croatia.html that shops can't be open on Sundays. Does this include restaurants as well? Will we be able to walk the wall?

Dubrovnik is the one port I really wanted to so so I will be so disappointed if everything is closed. Has anyone been there since this ban was passed?

Thanks.

This law has been changed and stores are no longer being forced to close on Sunday. It was a very difficult beginning to the season and the entire Dalmatian coast put up a very good fight and we won, Zagreb has allowed the stores to be open on sunday. However let me add that Zagreb changes it's mind very often. For expample, the no smoking law - changed again tomorrow. Smoking will be allowed inside the pubs and cafes again, be aware.

Thank you! I hope they don't change before September 2010!

If they do change it, will that include tourist things such as the walk on the wall or just shops?

I am allergic to smoking but I would guess there would be outdoor areas to eat in mid-September since its still rather warm.

I am really looking forward to Dubrovnik!

Thank you! I hope they don't change before September 2010!

If they do change it, will that include tourist things such as the walk on the wall or just shops?

I am allergic to smoking but I would guess there would be outdoor areas to eat in mid-September since its still rather warm.

I am really looking forward to Dubrovnik!

You can be sure that this new law will change several times again before next year, it's just part of this country and it's new political system. The Sunday closure can't work on the Dalmatian coast as the entire economy is based on tourism. Our historical sights and churches will always be open and we have many lovely sights to visit on your limited time in Dubrovnik. It was only stores and shops which were closed, but I doubt that will happen again.

Sorry about the smoking, but Europe is different about smoking bans. Perhaps one day they will be enforced, meantime you can will be outdoors all day. One cannot smoke in any of the churches, musuems or other sights but in cafes and restaurants. Many of our restaurants have outdoor seating and it's nice to watch the parade pass during a nice Dalmatian style lunch.

Archived