Taking Pictures Inside Ships w/ Nighttime Camera Setting?

falkcor

Have You Tried Taking Pictures Inside Ships w/ Nighttime Camera Setting?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Tried Taking Pictures Inside Ships w/ Nighttime Camera Setting?

• YUP, it worked… :)
    • Yup, it didn’t work… :(
    • That never even occurred to me… I’m gonna try it! :D
    • I wouldn’t bother…

ok... this might seem on the face of it to be a kind of odd question... ;)

but come on... we've all seen them... the under-exposed, dark looking pictures of the inside of ships when there isn't enough sunlight present... ESPECIALLY, when it is nighttime. they lack crisp detail, and many things 'blur' into the darkness...

has anybody ever tried using the nighttime camera setting? let's say, on a decent point-and-shoot... i haven't graduated to a crazy camera yet (nor do i want to lug all the equipment, lenses, etc. around)...

i've done this in buildings without utilities on, or when shooting video when the sun is setting... works like a charm...

anyone ever give it a shot on a cruise ship? :confused:

if so, i'd love to see some examples...

i searched and couldn't come up with any similar responses... so, if this hasn't ever occurred to anybody else, i'll share my 'experiments' when i get back from my cruise (20 days, YEAAAAH!!!)

i keep reading about how 'dark' PRIDE is, and danged if i'm not gonna come back with a bunch of pictures this time :D

hahaha, I'm the only voter!

Yes, I use the nighttime setting - no flash, extra-long exposure. My problem is that I can't hold my hands steady enough to get the exposure, but my hubby does a great job with his camera.

Sometimes I've found that simply turning off the flash gets a nice shot (with my Olympus Stylus 850SW).

But the best tool I've found is Picasa - it's great when your shots are dark, because you can add more light to the picture. I've salvaged some amazing concert pictures, and cruise ship interior pictures that way :)

But my pics are on the other computer, so I'll have to look there to post some.

I'm an amateur photographer with a pretty amateur camera, but I love the tips to get better shots!

hahaha, I'm the only voter!

not so fast, i've got another positive! yay.

Yes, I use the nighttime setting - no flash, extra-long exposure. My problem is that I can't hold my hands steady enough to get the exposure, but my hubby does a great job with his camera.

Sometimes I've found that simply turning off the flash gets a nice shot (with my Olympus Stylus 850SW).

i plan on trying that too...

But the best tool I've found is Picasa - it's great when your shots are dark, because you can add more light to the picture. I've salvaged some amazing concert pictures, and cruise ship interior pictures that way :)

But my pics are on the other computer, so I'll have to look there to post some.

I'm an amateur photographer with a pretty amateur camera, but I love the tips to get better shots!

i know my way around photoshop, but seriously, i'd rather make a few slight adjustments and not have to work up every photo if it can be avoided.

i'm a bit of a perfectionist - so photoshop and i don't mesh well... because it can totally cater to my ocd about such things.... brightness... sharpen... color contrast... UNDO! lol... :D

(I'm the second yes lol)

My fiance has taken about a million ship pictures, but with our Nikkon D90. I asked him about nighttime setting, he said it will work fine, but make sure to keep your hands still or use a table!

and thanks for that! i knew that surely i wasn't the only one this had occurred too...

and with your fiance being a graphic designer / photo retoucher... sounds like advice coming from a sound source ;)

i'll do that :D

I don't know if you consider it nighttime setting...I sometimes use the 'high ISO' setting on my Kodak Z1015 IS. But I often don't even need to do that...It just seems to draw in whatever light is available and I don't need anything special. EM

Since my last cruise where my indoor shots came out blurry, I've learned that if you use a tripod or something to stablilize the camera and the self timer, the results are better. Also, the 'auto contrast' or 'fill light' edit tools in Picasa are very helpful. I'm hoping on our next cruise to have some nice clear indoor pictures.

With the help of one of my pro photog friends, he has shown me the way.

Put it on the night time setting, or change to a longer shutter speed. This will produce great results....BUT.....you can not have any moving objects in the picture and you really have to have a tripod to avoid even the slightest movement.

I keep one of these http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1105 tucked into my small camera case and I can just drop it in my pocket if need be. It's so small that it isn't in the way. I only carry it when I know I will be taking delayed shutter shots with longer exposure. Works like a charm and practically free. I didn't buy it from that website, I found my at the Container Store....but I have seen them often at other stores.

It took me a long time to give up my 35mm....and this blurring of moving objects indoors is the reason.

I have a Sony Alpha...a really good camera. It works with the nice lenses that used to fit my Minolta (Sony bought Minolta). I get fabulous pics...plus, it's the size of what I consider a 'real' camera...so although it can be cumbersome at times, I still prefer it (I'm old fashioned that way LOL!!)

BUT as expensive a camera this is, and even with the great lenses I can use with it, ny shots in the dining room on the ship (with the waiters dancing) are CRAP!

It's very frustrating.

DSC03052.jpg.f0169bdb95686eff7163ce3f9b1ac4a0.jpg

Archived