Carnival Spirit r/t from Seattle-cruise Tracy Arm Fjord day-glacier view

Tx Sunshine

Do not count on glacier viewing with this itinerary. IF a priority, then I only suggest you book some sort of other glacier viewing.

Tracy Arm is a 30 mile dead end fjord. The Sawyer glaciers are at the end. Overall averages, only have the full transit by cruiseships, being in the 25% range. More and more ships are alternative sailing Endicott Arm and Dawes glacier. But you have no way of knowing ahead of time. Having just sailed Endicott this year, it is way down the scale for scenic glacier viewing for me- my opinion only.

So your question can not be answered, predicting the future. :) Overall cruiseships don't get real close, some do, but not the majority. If glaciers are your priority, with this trip being next year, I would definately rebook on an itinerary that sails Glacier Bay, or Hubbard.

Here is a photo of Sawyer Glacier from the Star Princess on Aug. 19, 2009. This is as close as we got. You also see other glaciers high up on mountains in Tracy Arm and you can visit Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau if that's on your itinerary.

5929_1133745471373_1459406918_30384330_3202970_n.jpg

Thanks, great shot! Just not as close as I wished for. We are supposed to go whale watching the day we are in Juneau and also to Mendenhall Glacier. I just don't think that one is as close as I wish. I just have to live with it. I am sure it will be beautiful anyways, even if we don't get too close to a Glacier. I wanted to see Glacier Bay, unfortunately, Carnival doesn't go there in the summer. I can't take my kid out of school just for a cruise. He is crucial years, senior and off to college next year. No missing school for him!

Thanks, great shot! Just not as close as I wished for. We are supposed to go whale watching the day we are in Juneau and also to Mendenhall Glacier. I just don't think that one is as close as I wish. I just have to live with it. I am sure it will be beautiful anyways, even if we don't get too close to a Glacier. I wanted to see Glacier Bay, unfortunately, Carnival doesn't go there in the summer. I can't take my kid out of school just for a cruise. He is crucial years, senior and off to college next year. No missing school for him!

If you are willing to go on another cruiseline, you can definitely get yourself to Glacier Bay or Hubbard in the summer without your son having to miss school.

Be prepared, also in Tracy Arm for no glacier viewing. Actually the above poster made it within that 25% success rate.

Just making assumptions, but as already well noted, there are other itineraries that are superior to this one with a glacier viewing priority. Carnival sailing Alaska is in NO way, comparable to the Caribbean, it is absolutely similar to all the other lines with middle aged and above the bulk of passengers. There aren't any deck activites etc etc etc. Again, just for general information comments.

We were very lucky to get as close as we did on the Golden Princess two weeks ago. Here's a couple of pictures, also taken on August 19.

Sawyer_Glacier_closeup_resized.jpg

Sawyer_Glacier_closeup_2_resized.jpg

And the Star Princess as she was leaving the fjord.

Star_Princess.jpg

Just asking, but your second South Sawyer Glacier photo looks compressed, and may have been taken with your zoom?? If so, a different perspective. Binoculars can also enhance glacier viewing in Tracy Arm, from a cruise ship.

Just asking, but your second South Sawyer Glacier photo looks compressed, and may have been taken with your zoom?? If so, a different perspective. Binoculars can also enhance glacier viewing in Tracy Arm, from a cruise ship.

Correct, the second photo was taken using a zoom lens. We also used our binoculars a lot. We were lucky enough to witness calving while we were there. In the first picture, the very dark blue section in the upper right corner, broke off and fell into the water. Couldn't believe we were there to see it!

We will also be on the Spirit next July. I can only hope we can get as close.:) I cancelled our Golden Princess booking that sailed to Glacier Bay and rebooked the Spirit. I could not justify such a HUGE price difference....we were able to book a balcony vs an OV for less than half the price.:eek: I have heard that the fjord is beautiful even if we can't get that close on our sailing. Is that true? We are planning on spending a lot of time at Mendenhall in Juneau.

We will also be on the Spirit next July. I can only hope we can get as close.:) I cancelled our Golden Princess booking that sailed to Glacier Bay and rebooked the Spirit. I could not justify such a HUGE price difference....we were able to book a balcony vs an OV for less than half the price.:eek: I have heard that the fjord is beautiful even if we can't get that close on our sailing. Is that true? We are planning on spending a lot of time at Mendenhall in Juneau.

I thought the fjord was absolutely beautiful. Getting so close to the glacier was icing on the cake for us.

Archived