Just got back, SDII

cburger100

Just returned from BD trip for hubby. Venice to Athens. Over the top service. Nothing new here, just what you expect from SD.

We had not seen the REAL sommalie (sp) Frank in 5 years - it was great to see him! He knows we love wines and always recommends wines, explains them, and why he recommends them. Just love it.

Peter, Mario, Um, Jeffrey, Daniel, Louis, Werner, I could go on and on.

A few things to take note. The Admirals Suite is fab. Got to take a peek on the way out.

There were children on this trip. Several families. Not really too much to say, except, one night in the restaurant, they were loud and playing cards. Lots of people were upset. Peter handled it with such grace, next few nights they were topside in the back. :) I know of several couples who complained they were always in the whirlpool, but since we don't use it, it did not bother us.

A darling, well brought up little girl, was with her mom and dad. She was cool and very respectful. If SD had a few more of these families, I would not complain.

Another family, Europeans, would claim 4 or 5 pool chairs in the AM, and not return until after 1p. There was an encounter with the wife, as my DH moved her towel and mag - she was not happy, but the next day Um, was watching and managing the pool chairs, while also doing his duty with the tenders. It is so rude how people think they can own these chairs.

Another weird encounter. But again was handled so professionally. We were due to visit Fishkarden (again sp). Someone apparentely had a quarrel with thier lover or something and well, there was an emergency. We had to go back to Kotor, I think, which was an extra 5 hours in reverse. The people who saw the incident, were applauding the Captain for everything. We were asleep and heard nothing, except we visited Patmos instead.

Another thing, there were no pajamas. Not sure. Peter said the shipment did not arrive, but I see now they are charging in the boutique.

Hope all this is helpful. SD was excellent.

Cburger 100:

Thanks for the post. Sounds as though SD did what they could with the passengers. This emphasizes the point that passenger make up can really affect the onboard experience far more on a small ship. Population in general seems to become less and less caring about other people. In all, most people we have met on SD have been great. Here's hoping for the next one!. All the best,

Jim.

Thanks for the review and update cburger!!

Sounds like a lovely birthday celebration ... even with a few hiccups.

We were really impressed with Peter as maitre d when we sailed on SD2 in March. I suspect he is an excelled HotMan (Hotel Manager).

Interesting about the pool chairs. During 30 days on SD I have never seen that happen ... then again we always sail in the Caribbean.

Hope everyone involved in the emergency are okay.

SD has always sold PJs in the boutique. We have purchased a couple of pairs for our daughter over the years ... cheaper than taking her on the cruise with us and so much more relaxing ... for all of us:D

Sounds like we were on the SDII cruise before you (Dubrovnik to Venice) and everyone got PJs (I'm wearing mine as I type!). I would take Peter's comment that the shipment did not arrive exactly at face value.

We also thought Peter did a great job, and even satisfied a few special requests for us. Every time he seated us he gave us the best table he had available (or at least made us feel that way). His waiters and bartenders were bending over backwards to help each other out, which of course is part of what makes for the "over the top" service which we also experienced. It really was a happy crew.

I'd guess we had close to 15 passengers between the age of 16 and 25 traveling with their families. I think all had grown up taking nice vacations and behaved very well, including sharing the jet skis and whirlpool. No problems whatsoever.

Archived