Pssst! OK - here is my post.

CR dude

Jim and Flora here. Retired Korea/Vietnam veteran who has lived in CR over 26 years and retired CR school teacher wife who have 4 Caribbean cruises under our belts aboard Carnival and NCL vessels (plus a NCL 16 day Miami to Los Angeles repositioning cruise ) - now planning a future cruise to enable us to visit previously unseen Caribbean ports.

We have practically ruled out Carnival and NCL as once is enough for Montego Bay, Belize and Roatan and we like cruises of more than 7 days. We checked itineraries of HAL and Princess and are considering 10 or 14 day cruises - possibly back to back - sometime between November and May of next year.

The itineraries and prices of cruises aboard HAL ships Noordam – Westerdam and Maasdam are appealing – The Maasdam was built in 1993 and refurbished in 2006 so it would be nice to have some input about it.

Nice to be aboard . . . . expect smooth sailing ahead . . . . would appreciate any comments and/or advice from any of our shipmates.

I hear you. Every post deserves a reply so I'm here to say that many HAL loyal cruisers have posted a ton of reviews and opinions. There's more information posted than I can give you.

Both the Maasdam and Veendam were great experiences, taking Ryndam in October because Tampa is the port for me.

Remember to be on deck or in the Crow's Nest and watch the exciting approach to the Skyway bridge, especially in the dark. It's an incredible sight.

I like the more primitive ports such as Belize and Roatan although Belize City is one of the dirtiest places I've even been. Still I walk the streets every time my ship docks there and my kids and grandkids love the excursions. Roatan is fast, very fast, losing its charm. That's what we cruisers are doing.

MMC

Jim and Flora here. Retired Korea/Vietnam veteran who has lived in CR over 26 years and retired CR school teacher wife who have 4 Caribbean cruises under our belts aboard Carnival and NCL vessels (plus a NCL 16 day Miami to Los Angeles repositioning cruise ) - now planning a future cruise to enable us to visit previously unseen Caribbean ports.

We have practically ruled out Carnival and NCL as once is enough for Montego Bay, Belize and Roatan and we like cruises of more than 7 days. We checked itineraries of HAL and Princess and are considering 10 or 14 day cruises - possibly back to back - sometime between November and May of next year.

The itineraries and prices of cruises aboard HAL ships Noordam – Westerdam and Maasdam are appealing – The Maasdam was built in 1993 and refurbished in 2006 so it would be nice to have some input about it.

Nice to be aboard . . . . expect smooth sailing ahead . . . . would appreciate any comments and/or advice from any of our shipmates.

Hi Jim and Flora!! Before I get going let me first say THANK YOU JIM!!! As a retired military wife, I know that you can never thank a Vet and his wife enough!!

OK now, I can only speak of the Westerdam (of the 3 HAL ships you mentioned.)

We were on the Westerdam at the beginning of May for 7 days and are going back on her for a B2B 2 week Caribbean cruise 7-21 February 2010.

She is beautiful!! Service is wonderful as is the crew, the food and just everything about her!!

There are several reviews of all the ships you mentioned here on this board and tons of others at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=cl&cl=Holland%20America%20Line

Just a word of warning, Spring Break begins around 21 February and ends sometime in late March or early April 2010. So if that might be a consideration....

I have not been on the Maasdam. It is a popular ship and has many fans and return cruisers. Spends alot of time doing N Eng. and Maritime Provinces. Fans rave about the food, crew, captain etc. It is a smaller ship which is why I think I would like it. My favorite HAL ship is the Amsterdam which is smaller and older than the Vista ships i.e. Noordam and Westerdam. HAL keeps its older ships in tip top shape but they do not have many balconies which seems to be popular now. I am looking forward to booking a cruise in the future on the Maasdam.

Archived