Best way to take pills into Argentina

rfrobins

I take six blood pressure and blood thinner prescriptions, plus several over-the-counter pills each day. My practice is to load these into several 7-day plastic pill containers. Some folks on these boards have recommended taking pills into foreign countries in their original containers so immigration inspectors have an idea what you are taking into their country. If I take my three-weeks supply of pills in 7-day containers, will I be in trouble?

Anyone with experience, please advise. Thank you.

I recommend keeping them in the original containers for two reasons: no problems if you get asked at customs/immigration and, more importantly, should you take ill on the trip you have the prescription details (drug name, dosage, doctor's name and pharmacy contact). That information would come in especially handy for anyone accompanying you and/or the ship's medical staff if you weren't in any shape to provide the details.

I take six blood pressure and blood thinner prescriptions, plus several over-the-counter pills each day. My practice is to load these into several 7-day plastic pill containers. Some folks on these boards have recommended taking pills into foreign countries in their original containers so immigration inspectors have an idea what you are taking into their country. If I take my three-weeks supply of pills in 7-day containers, will I be in trouble?

I never, and that means ever, take my pills in original RX bottles. I always repack everything in little plastic baggies for each day supply of vitamins, etc. Never, ever, has anyone questioned it and they are always in my carryon. The only things I take in orginal containers are class drugs; i.e. codeine derivitives, etc.

We were last in Argentina Mar 06, for a Regal Princess cruise 'round the Horn.

I took my medicines in 7 day containers, but did also take the prescription labels, if case the officials wanted to see them. I was not questioned re the medicines.

I'm glad that the people reporting so far on your thread have "never had a problem". I have. I really do encourage you to keep your pills in their original containers with the prescriptions clearly on the bottles or containers.

If you're one of those folks who buy their prescription meds in 3 month supply large bottles, you can take your meds to your pharmacy and they will re-package them in smaller containers, suitable for the length of your trip, and put on a suitable prescription label.

The over-the-counter stuff isn't so much an issue -- if they do question it and take it away, you'll likely be able to buy replacements. But getting new prescriptions in a foreign country is extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Pack the bottles in a clear zip bag and carry the bag with you in your carry-on. Keep them near the top. If you're asked (and indeed I have been asked, several times) you can quickly pull out the zip bag and show the inspectors.

It's more often the "homeland security" folks at this end..not the immigration officials, by the way...that question this.

I wonder why the OP is concerned about Argentina? I think you could take anything in there and nobody would care. After flights into countries that "might care" (China, Russia, Australia, NZ, etc.), and never having been questioned by any of them, I would think that Argentina is at the bottom of the list.

I leave my pills in the week long container. My pharmacist prints out labels for me which I can provide as needed. He is a great guy and also prints up labels for the over the counter drugs. I have only been asked about the pills by US security agents.

I always take my medications in original containers with labels attached. I also carry a letter from my doctor stating that I am under his care for xxx reasons and lists the medications. If I become ill this is important information and I may not be able to provide it verbally..I was asked about my meds in Australia and New Zealand and showed my letter and "medicine bag."

Remember to take extra in case you drop any or some get wet.

Until this summr I always carried my original bottles. I now carry a detailed printout from my prescription plan with all the necessary information. So far I have only travelled in the US so If I run into a problem it wouldn't be that difficult getting replacements. I do plan on contacting the TSA and Customs at some point to ask if this method is acceptable...

From the State Department discussing prescriptions - website:http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html

Bring them and any medicines you need in your carry-on luggage.

To avoid problems when passing through customs, keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Bring copies of your prescriptions and the generic names for the drugs. If a medication is unusual or contains narcotics, carry a letter from your doctor attesting to your need to take the drug. If you have any doubt about the legality of carrying a certain drug into a country, consult the embassy or consulate of that country before you travel.

In my earlier post I forgot to mention that last month I was asked specifically about a 7 day pill container in my purse as I passed through security in Munich transitting to a flight to Prague. It contains my earrings (!) so they just smiled and didn't pursue the matter. I don't know what the next step would have been if I had pills in it. I'm just glad I didn't have to find out -- I made my connection with only 5 minutes to spare as it was!

Archived