heathrow terminal-5

luckyD

I have a connecting flight LHR t-5. A terrible layover of twelve hours,and want to get a day room.Has anyone gone thourgh passport control and customs at LHR recently? How bad is security lines. My flight arrives 9:30am and departs 9:50p.m.

We also had a bad experience with Heathrow terminal 5. One of us doesn't walk long distances, and usually request "golf cart" service at airport terminals. Most airlines other than British Airways at most other airports modern enough to have wide walkways will provide golf carts as requested, but somehow British Airways the world over does not have any golf carts, they will only push wheel chairs. That by itself is alright, though rather "retarded" given the fact that terminal 5 is a brand new terminal.

The real problem came when the walking stick I used was confiscated by security. In fact, I just arrived at that same terminal with another British Airways flight, was sitting in a British Airways wheel chair pushed by their personnel, and had to change planes to return to America. The security guards looked at my stick (at the security check point, as all passengers have to be rechecked) and said its point was a bit sharp. I said they could hold it on the plane for me until arrival, the answer was no. I said I could leave my address and pay for them to ship it back to me, the answer was still no. I said please tag and mark it such that after I got home, I could call them to have it shipped back to me, the answer was still no.

So I asked what could I do. They said, "Go back outside the security zone and mail it to yourself". The connecting flight would leave in half an hour. So I had no choice but to let go of the stick that accompanied me through Mexican Riviera, Hong Kong and Tokyo, Panama Canal, the British Isles, Eastern Mediterranean and Switzerland, just because of this. (And it passed through all other air ports without incident, including their own British Airway security in Switzerland.)

I showed them that FDA rules allow walking sticks. They X-rayed the item and said it would seem to be legitimate, but they had to call out a middle aged woman who was their boss to decide. She told me, "This is Heathrow, and we make our own rules"! So she threw it into a large garbage bin right there. Such was the attitude of some petty official.

P.S. Many gates at terminal 5 do not have those enclosed walkways. In pouring rain, you have to walk out of the plane onto a waiting bus. This will be understandable for an old airport with old design. But for a brand new airport, this kind of inconvenience is unbecoming!

Don't think you can blame British Airways for that episode at security. Although T5 is British Airways' home terminal, security at Heathrow Airport is managed by BAA, the airport's owner and operator. And like security staff all over the world, you always come across the 'little Hitlers'.

To the OP - passport control is reasonably quick at T5 but security lines at departure can be taxing, depending on season of travel, and number of security staff on duty. However, with 12 hours to spare, there is plenty of time for you to go landside, find a hotel for the day, and check in again for your flight. BTW, there is a hotel next to the terminal building.

The real problem came when the walking stick I used was confiscated by security.

meow! What a dreadful experience:(

Were you without your stick for your entire trip or was this on your way home? Nevertheless, not considerate at all.

Cheers

ging466

To the OP, we just did Terminal 5 in both directions. The only hold up might be security as passport control is quick. I assume you would check your bags all the way as liberating them and passing through customs and then rechecking could use up valuable rest time. If you are traveling business class the fast lanes do make a difference depending on the time of day. In addition the business class lounges are a cut above any others we have used. They even include very good full meals.

Meow, I'm stunned! I used a walking stick before my double knee replacement and never had a problem like that. Clearly a security agent with an inferiority complex.

The hotel adjoined to Terminal 5 is the Sofitel and they do day rooms. Very nice new hotel.

Be aware however that the Sofitel does not take reservations for day rooms. Back a couple of months ago we tried to get a day room for a 5 hour layover and unfortunately they were full, and had no day rooms available.

For a 12 hour layover you might consider reserving a room and paying the overnight price. You could then be assured of a room but would suggest calling ahead and confirming your arrival time/early check-in details with the front desk.

Flying Club World with BA, we were "fast tracked" through security. It took about 15 minutes total. We saved maybe 5 minutes over the Coach line.

Archived