Carnival - Pride (bad experience)

zhangf

That's exactly what I was wondering... maybe I'm just not that imaginative but I don't know what else they could offer. Smoked salmon is available at the deli line, theres cereals, pastries, fruit, omelets, breakfast meats, etc etc. If that's not enough, there's a more formal breakfast in the MDR. The only thing I can think of is that they don't serve eggs benedict on the Lido, but who really wants poached eggs sitting under a heat lamp??? Gross.

I have a hard time taking this review seriously. If the OP truly wanted to provide useful information for future cruisers they would have gone into more specifics on their experiences on the ship. All I got from their long winded paragraph about their hellish vacation was that they are a family of winers.

After all the complaints, they forgot to mention the bathroom tissue! To the OP-- was your tender bottom more attended to on your Princess or RCCL vacations??? :rolleyes:

In all honesty if you have ever had the opportunity to sail other cruise lines you will see that they do have many different varieties and options in the breakfast buffet.......just sayin.........

Could be that some people don't notice because they eat the same thing every morning:confused:

In all honesty if you have ever had the opportunity to sail other cruise lines you will see that they do have many different varieties and options in the breakfast buffet.......just sayin.........

Could be that some people don't notice because they eat the same thing every morning:confused:

That, or they're still half asleep and stumbling around ...

True-- my only other basis for comparison is Princess, but I didn't find their selection of breakfast items much different from Carnival. Maybe RCCL, NCL, DCL, etc have different things??? IMO breakfast is a pretty standard fare, but again maybe I'm just not that creative in knowing whats out there in the breakfast food world LOL

I noticed that, at least with CCL and RCCL-they are more similar than different.....(heck they even have the same pastries at breakfast! YUM!)

A cruise is what you make of it...take an open mind....you'll be fine. We still had a good time even though there were some bumps............we didn't have to fly, and we went to a couple new ports....

The alternative was being home..!

And, as for wal-mart and target...when they are 3-4 bucks less than the local grocery or pharmacy for items I need, then that's where i shop! Thus, I can have more money to cruise more often!

i am sorry you were disappointed. I hope you were able to have a positive attitude while on the ship. I have learned having a positive attitude really helps children to have a better time.

I have been on the freedom of the seas and i have been on the pride. I loved both ships. I love the old world charm of the pride. We had an amazing time on the pride. Both cruises were with a group of freinds. We did not have the best diningroom staff on either of these ships but we made the most of that.

I hate you feel that carnival is a cheap cruise. We actually like the food much better on carnival then on rci. I think both lines have different things to offer and each has their on attractions.

hi read you reply to the complainer----in think most people wouldnt be happy in heaven. We have sailed carnival 39 times and yes, there were times when things could have been better---but that's life----and you do need a positive attitude. Carnival is very fair to past passengers--and more then generous with up-grades, etc. We are now booked on the dream--from rome---and have $1400 on board credit. They must be doing something right---when we sail on a carnival ship---they are booked solid.

K,

We did this already. I think I was up to over 40 DIFFERENT meals one could have from the breakfast BUFFET alone. THEN you could asdd all the choices and combos you could have in the DR.

When one WANTS to see negatives, there is no force on Earth that will dissuade him/her.

Yes, other lines have other choices for breakfast. Not necessarily more choices, but different choices. Like baked BEANS for breakfast on Princess.

I both like baked beans and am an adventurous eater. But I find the idea of baked beans DISGUSTING for breakfast. But I guess, one could load up on the beans at breakfast and motor around the pool all day with minimum effart.(sic):rolleyes::D

agreed....really, how much DIFFERENT breakfast food is there? Pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs and number of ways, sausage, ham, bacon, scrapple, potatoes, breads, cereals, pastries, coffee, tea, juice and fruit.

what else is there???? OK...so there are lots of kinds of pancakes, waffles..whatever...but there was PLENTY to eat....they had really good cereal too! the sugary, junky kids (and overgrown kids) kinds! YAY! Lucky Charms!

I both like baked beans and am an adventurous eater. But I find the idea of baked beans DISGUSTING for breakfast. But I guess, one could load up on the beans at breakfast and motor around the pool all day with minimum effart.(sic):rolleyes::D

Baked beans for breakfast is very common in Britain, Ireland and Europe. ;) (Not that that has anything to do with your gastro-intestinal tract.)

K,

We did this already. I think I was up to over 40 DIFFERENT meals one could have from the breakfast BUFFET alone. THEN you could asdd all the choices and combos you could have in the DR.

Someone has WAAAAYYYY too much free time...you need another cruise! and there are probably even more!

When one WANTS to see negatives, there is no force on Earth that will dissuade him/her.

Yes, other lines have other choices for breakfast. Not necessarily more choices, but different choices. Like baked BEANS for breakfast on Princess.

I both like baked beans and am an adventurous eater. But I find the idea of baked beans DISGUSTING for breakfast. But I guess, one could load up on the beans at breakfast and motor around the pool all day with minimum effart.(sic)

LOL-you have lost your marbles!

:rolleyes::D

all this talk of breakfast and i want some eggs! Hmmm...breakkie for dinner?? nah, i have dinner stuff.....

Baked beans for breakfast is very common in Britain, Ireland and Europe. ;) (Not that that has anything to do with your gastro-intestinal tract.)

They also have double extra greasy fried hard and dry sausages too. And mushy, watery potatoes that if it weren't for the 'funny' taste, wouldn't have any taste at all.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Never mind, I suddenly understand the beans.:D:rolleyes:

This is an example of the glass being half empty. The ship is older and not as nice as the others that were recently sailed on.

the glass half full, was it was available when you needed to go, I bet comparatively price per person per day was a very good value. You did like the cabin and the islands.

I truely believe that the ship is a bit off on food since alot of folks report this. That can happen at different times to any ship. I had it happen on one of RCI's ships that was only 1 month old. They announced that the Head Chef was leaving the ship after our cruise (huuummm?). But even so, there always good options available, you just have to look a little harder, like you did for the salad.

Please try to remember the good parts of the cruise, you may want to be open to Carnival again another time that fits your schedule and has a nice itenarary. Just try a newer ship.

Good Luck.

So interesting we have sailed Carnival on the Destiny twice and then the Victory in the Southern Caribbean. All three cruises different. First cruise was the Destiny okay food, okay ship, great time, second cruise great food, same ship, great time, third cruise on Victory food not great, ship better, great cruise. Will we go back??? of course. I'm not cooking, I'm not cleaning, the sun is hot, the drinks are cold!!!!!!

This reminds me of my two difference Majesty of the Seas cruises. The first time I went because it was the only thing available at the time I wanted to go. I went with a horrid attitude and complained about everything when there was really nothing to complain about. I had just decided it wasn't going to be as good as my precious Princess cruises and wishing made it so.

I went back on the same ship for the same 3 day cruise last January. I had a choice of RCCL, NCL and Carnival. I picked the Majesty because it was by far the cheapest price. But this time I went with an open mind and a positive attitude. Lo and behold, I had a wonderful time.

This reminds me of my two difference Majesty of the Seas cruises. The first time I went because it was the only thing available at the time I wanted to go. I went with a horrid attitude and complained about everything when there was really nothing to complain about. I had just decided it wasn't going to be as good as my precious Princess cruises and wishing made it so.

I went back on the same ship for the same 3 day cruise last January. I had a choice of RCCL, NCL and Carnival. I picked the Majesty because it was by far the cheapest price. But this time I went with an open mind and a positive attitude. Lo and behold, I had a wonderful time.

Great post.

Hmm..well the OP hasn't come back...no worries.

I thought there was a lot of stuff for breakfast (once, of course I FOUND it all!:eek:) IMO it was easier to figure out what was where in Mermaid's Grill for breakkie than lunch....

The cooked to order eggs station was always a bit of a mess and the eggs were bad, as was the omelete (again, my opinion FWIW--the omeletes had a weird taste and consistency..) The bacon was almost always undercooked....BUT the ham was good, the bacon-when cooked- was tasty (and the server would give you as much as you wanted..sometimes TOO much! yes, there CAN be too much bacon! well, maybe not!:D)

We didn't try David's....probably should have, but since we'd had so much trouble getting hot, edible food (I sent back beef twice-both times it was cold, tough and overdone!) we were a little worried about what we'd find up there.

Maybe another time on another ship. Anyone have any suggestions??? We're always in "research mode!":p

Hi! You started the roll call for the Pride cruise I'm going on (Nov 29), but I see you've already sailed on her. Are you not going on Nov 29th, after all? Just wondering. The roll call is an utter ghost town - just me and the chirping crickets. :(

K,

Hey I am just posting what I see.....and from just getting of my last cruise last Sunday on the Mariner there were many more choices and varieties at the breakfast buffet then any Carnival ship I have been on......I'm not the one bitching I am the one stating what I experienced.......So you can did this already with someone else..........

Infact they also had more choices at lunch and dinner also.....

agreed....really, how much DIFFERENT breakfast food is there? Pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs and number of ways, sausage, ham, bacon, scrapple, potatoes, breads, cereals, pastries, coffee, tea, juice and fruit.

what else is there???? OK...so there are lots of kinds of pancakes, waffles..whatever...but there was PLENTY to eat....they had really good cereal too! the sugary, junky kids (and overgrown kids) kinds! YAY! Lucky Charms!

Bingo.....lot's of kinds of everything......

I know everyone's tastes are different, but I really don't understand all the griping about the food. Perhaps my tastes are simpler than most, but I was more than satisfied. We were on the Pride last week and there were lots of breakfast choices. For lunch, there were great deli sandwiches, rotating hot foods for lunch, and freshly baked pizza. My party of five loved all of our dinners in the MDR. I have two finicky daughters who NOT ONCE ordered off the kids menu and really enjoyed all of their dinners and desserts. The only food that I ate which I did not like was the diet pumpkin pie -- but that was my fault for ordering, as I was trying to undue the effects of too many warm chocolate melting cakes!

Also, our dining room service was fantastic. Our waiters were very hardworking and accommodating, and they were especially friendly with my two children. My 8-year old daughter even cried during our last dinner because she was going to miss them so much!

I will say, though, that I was not impressed with the Maitre'D. On our last dinner as we were leaving, I brought him his envelope with a check. He was on the phone, so I waited patiently for him to get off, thinking that once he sees me, he will end his conversation. No; instead, he takes the envelope from me and just keeps talking on the phone. No word of thanks, no "have a good night," no "I hope you enjoyed your cruise,;" just a dismissive nod. With that kind of response, I wanted to snatch the money right back from him!

I know everyone's tastes are different, but I really don't understand all the griping about the food.

I'm with you Sue...if that's your real name.

I have eaten at some great places over the years (paid for by my employer, of course) and the presentation and flavor of most of the dishes I had at dinner were on par with some of the best I had. Yes, the temperature of some dishes -- after traveling from the galley to our remote table -- wasn't optimal, but I didn't find it to be a huge distraction. Seasoning and "doneness" were exactly as requested. The only item worth comment was the inclusion of what turned out to be "curly fries" with the panko crusted shrimp...wouldn't have been my first choice to go with the best shrimp I had on the trip.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, (though I fail to see how any cruise can be this bad) but the negative attitude of this family to what they obviously perceived as a 'lower class' ship booked as a last resort only because it was convenient, was bound to affect their cruise. They were primed to dislike it even before boarding.

And to apologize to your entitled little snobs, er I mean, kids, within the hour? Apologize for taking them on a cruise? Even if the parents were a little apprehensive that they'd chosen the wrong line, why let the kids know that? Accentuate the positive and have a great time and don't complain and whine in front of them.

The 13-year-olds 'This ship is crappy' comment tells volumes. Not exactly what a well-raised, classy, child says to their parents at any time and especially not when they are taking them on a cruise. This families language is not exactly 'high class'.

Actually, if I had ever said anything remotely like that to my parents, or heard it from my children, then the cruise would have ceased to be fun immediately afterwards!

I haven't been on this ship, but have sailed Carnival, Princess, NCL & Celebrity as well as some older, defunct lines and have never had a bad cruise. Almost always there are a few things I'd change, but I have always found lots to love as well.

I do not make it a habit of commenting on "reviews", BUT, sending your negative thoughts, so early in the cruise to children, will MAKE them have a bad time. IMO, that is very poor parenting skills. :mad: Why ruin it for your kids just because YOU are not happy :confused:

flame away...........................................

I am in complete agreement with you!!!

Just came back from Bahamas cruise with Carnival – Pride, (21 Aug – 29 Aug 2009)

The ship quality - real old fashion, bad design (low ceiling, dark even with sunshine outside), old decoration.

I was on the Pride August 14-21.

The OP should have spent a few minutes in his cabin watching the video describing the design of the Carnival Pride. Rather than being "old fasion (sic), low ceiling, dark," the ship is in fact quite beautiful. The overall theme is "icons of Beauty" and this theme is carried out throughout the ship. From the reproductions of Italian art on the walls, to the lounge designed to recall Van Gogh's "Starry Night," the ship has many beautiful places.

Archived