Just back from London

Giantfan13

We used the National Express Bus to get us to Dover and Back, and for the 5 pounds a person price, it was the best bargain we had.

Len

Hello Len,

We're going on this cruise next year (NCL Sun, June 2010) and like you, are planning to use National Express from London to Dover and back. The NCL Sun returns to Dover at 5:00 am and our flight out of Heathrow is at 4:35 PM. If we do self disembarkation (we're planning to travel light), how early can we get off the ship? Is there a special procedure we need to follow to do this? Are taxis to Dover bus station readily available from the cruise terminal?

Thank you,

Ariel

We're going on this cruise next year (NCL Sun, June 2010) and like you, are planning to use National Express from London to Dover and back. The NCL Sun returns to Dover at 5:00 am and our flight out of Heathrow is at 4:35 PM.
Are you sure you know what this involves, if you are going straight to Heathrow from Dover? The coach from Dover goes to London, not Heathrow. You then have to change in London for another coach to go to Heathrow. The coach station in London (Victoria coach station) isn't big, and coaches from there to Heathrow are frequent, but you do need to know that this is what you're letting yourself in for.

Are you sure you know what this involves, if you are going straight to Heathrow from Dover? The coach from Dover goes to London, not Heathrow. You then have to change in London for another coach to go to Heathrow. The coach station in London (Victoria coach station) isn't big, and coaches from there to Heathrow are frequent, but you do need to know that this is what you're letting yourself in for.

Thanks, and yes I'm aware that I'll have to stop at London Victoria Coach Station and get another bus from there to Heathrow. I'd like to know how early I can get off the ship so I could make my Heathrow 4:35 pm flight. If the ship arrives in Dover at 5:00 am, do I have enough time to make the 4:35 pm flight using National Express? or should I simply get the NCL shuttle straight to Heathrow?

Ariel

Thanks, and yes I'm aware that I'll have to stop at London Victoria Coach Station and get another bus from there to Heathrow. I'd like to know how early I can get off the ship so I could make my Heathrow 4:35 pm flight. If the ship arrives in Dover at 5:00 am, do I have enough time to make the 4:35 pm flight using National Express? or should I simply get the NCL shuttle straight to Heathrow?

Ariel

Normally first assisted disembarkation is about 07:00 and last stragglers are about 09:00.

With current timetables the optimum coach departure is at 09:05 arriving Heathrow 13:10 with comfortable 40 minute connection at Victoria.

Its a 10 minute taxi ride from cruise terminal to coach stop and sometimes there is a queue for taxi's and you might have to hang around 15 minutes for a taxi.

Seems to me the key aspect is whether you can get enough assurances from your particular cruise that you'll be off by 08:00.

If there is unassisted disembarkation prior to 07:00 you could get an earlier bus. The 08:00 bus might get delayed a little by routine road congestion in London if its midweek.

We used the National Express Bus to get us to Dover and Back, and for the 5 pounds a person price, it was the best bargain we had.

Len

Hello Len,

We're going on this cruise next year (NCL Sun, June 2010) and like you, are planning to use National Express from London to Dover and back. The NCL Sun returns to Dover at 5:00 am and our flight out of Heathrow is at 4:35 PM. If we do self disembarkation (we're planning to travel light), how early can we get off the ship? Is there a special procedure we need to follow to do this? Are taxis to Dover bus station readily available from the cruise terminal?

Thank you,

Ariel

I can't say for sure when the ship docked, but if you are carrying off your own luggage, you will be able to get off as soon as it clears, probably about 7:30 or so. We opted for a later bus, at 10:00 as we had a lot of luggage and we could not hand carry it off. disembarkation is a breeze. They give you color coded tags for wahtever level your cabin is on,a nd if you need to be off a bit earlier, you can just put an earlier color on your bag. The crew told us, most all luggage is off by 8:30 anyway. When you get off, yoou just go to the area of your color and viola, there's your luggage (hopefully). We had a porter take us to the taxi area and there were a lot of taxi's there. It is a bout a 10 minute ride to the Bus stop in Dover at a cost of about 6-7 pounds. Again, we wanted to relax, eat breakfast before we got off, and we had plenty of time for our 10:00 bus. We got to Victoria about 12:45 which worked out fine for us.

Welcome home.

Any advice on getting the Eurostaqr from London to Paris for one day only and getting around in Paris to museums, etc.

Also is the National Express Bus to Dover Terminal ok for two pieces of luggage?

Thanks, Betty

Welcome home.

Any advice on getting the Eurostar from London to Paris for one day only and getting around in Paris to museums, etc.

Also is the National Express Bus to Dover Terminal ok for two pieces of luggage?

Thanks, Betty

Betty

That is exactly what we did to get to Paris. Yes, it is a long day, but the ride is easy and if this is your chance to see Paris, if only for a day, go for it. The ride is about 2 1/4 hours, smooth as can be. From the station in Paris, you can buy a metro card for Paris, and it is only a short walk to one of the metro stations. (I forgot which one, but if you need it, I can get it). From there, you can take the train to where ever you want to go. We stopped At Sacre Coeur first, walked to Pigalle, took the train to the Arc De Triumph, walked a bit on the Champs Elysse( stopped for some ice cream) took the train again, to the a stop right before the Eiffel Tower, and walked the rest of the way. From the Tower, we did the Hop on Hop off Boat to the Louve, then walked to Notre Dame. We then took the boat ride for a complete loop back to notre Dame, then caught the metro back to Gard Nord and the Eurostar back to London. We took the 8:30 AM train out of London,arrived in Paris about 11:30. And took the 8:45PM train back to London.

We had a fantastic time, and glad we did what we did. As I said, if you want to see Paris, if only for a day, go for it.

And YES, you are allowed two pieces of luggage each for the national Express bus to Dover.

Welcome home.

Any advice on getting the Eurostaqr from London to Paris for one day only and getting around in Paris to museums, etc.

Thanks, Betty

Last year I took a day trip to Brussels / Brugge via Eurostar from London. Well worth it and not a tiring thing at all.

There are a number of companies that do an excursion to Paris via Eurostar like Viator if you want to have things handled for you rather than a do it yourself trip. One thing to do is go to the British site rather than the US version for Eurostar where prices and specials are usually better.

Cheers

Archived