Celebrating a special birthday onboard?

feb29

Has anyone recently returned from a sailing where they celebrated a special birthday, and if so, did RCCL provide anything free of charge or give an upgrade or anything.

My friend is off on Explorer in a couple of weeks and it is her DH's 50th B'day the day they board. Their daughter was going to arrange a cake, decorations etc but we don't know if they provide this already when they have been notified of a celebration at time of booking .

Knowing the cutbacks, I don't think you'll get 'nuffin for nuffin'!

Any advice please

Nope, nothing free. We celebrated our 25th anniversary and ordered the decorations for the room. It was very nice and there was a sign on the door. We did get a piece of cake one evening in the DR. There are lots of cool things in the gear and gifts section that the daughter could order. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

It's been several years since they stopped giving out "free" birthday cakes. Too many people had too many birthdays too many times a week. You can still purchase a birthday cake, but I wonder why when so many desserts are already included in the cost?

You can also order cabin decorations. Be prepared to "share" the cabin with all that stuff hanging from the ceiling ;)

They brought me a piece of strawberry cheesecake with a candle AFTER I ate my regular dessert. LOL That was on the 2nd night. I imagine they have a lot of birthdays on a cruise. The other woman at our table also had a birthday so we both got the cheesecake. I think they sang to us also.

we celebrated my s.o.'s birthday @ Chops & they gave us a candled birthday brownie from the MDR no charge.

Nice gesture & it's the thought that counts. :)

My suggestion is if you want to do it right then arrange it yourself.

The on board stuff is generic & overpriced.

I would use the port stop as a way to gather supplies. Ask the crew staff for suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who has answered.

Just as I thought, no freebies.

You can understand why though, when so many people do cruise to celebrate an occasion

Better that they do it themselves I think or pre-order a cake from the gifts & gear.

We recently celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary on Legend and had a bottle of sparkling wine with a congratulations on your anniversary card from RCCL which was delivered just after we boarded. When we booked the cruise we told the Loyalty Ambassador it was going to be our anniversary and the cruise line asked for proof (i.e. a copy of the wedding certificate). We also had a decorated balloon on our table for dinner and a piece of cake with a candle after our dessert - with a song from our waitstaff :D

Archived