Cruisetour excursions?

cruisinalong001

You have "something" included already- which hopefully is the Tundra Wilderness tour.

Depends on your time if any other Denali Park access will be available to you. Denali Park has plenty to see and do, with listings on their web site, from a dog sled demo, visitor center, ranger programs, guided hiking. shuttles are available from the Princess lodge. There are difference in the "raft" trips from floats to white water. The Husky Homestead tour gets consistant rave reviews.

The McKinley lodge is another story. I don't find any of the "area" activies too exciting, except the flightseeing. There is a short hiking area, that's about it at the lodge. Hopefully you already know, you are 50 miles from the nearest town, Talkeetna, which is very small. Flightseeing is the main tour to consider. There is a small museum and also a ranger station with climbing exhibits. Fishing is ok, rafting is so so. The key here is to do your homework. IF you are arriving/departing by rail, then stay in Talkeetna in time for an arrival or departure. Don't waste your time going back and forth more than you have to. Meal options in Talkeetna are excellent.

2009 appears to be the last year that Princess is offering the TWT on cruisetours except by special request.

I don't know about all the cruisetours, but the one we chose for 2010 had the Natural History Tour. We upgraded to the Tundra Tour. I think the add on charge was $60pp. We also paid a customization fee to spend the entire last four nights in Denali and skip Fairbanks. The fee was $150. With the 2 for 1 special on cruisetours :), we did not mind paying the extra fees. Now I just have to figure out how to plan the four days in Denali without a vehicle. I am glad that the lodge has a shuttle to the park. It seems as if you want to take the Park shuttle bus deeper into the park, you have to make a reservation? I think I'll send for their pamphlets and maps. This is our third trip to Alaska, but we never made it North of Anchorage.

The optional excursions are listed on the Princess Lodges website.

Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge activities: http://www.princesslodges.com/mckinley-activities.htm

Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge activities: http://www.princesslodges.com/denali-activities.htm

We just got back Saturday night from a 14-day cruisetour that included both of these lodges, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try & answer them.

Have fun!

Mary Ellen

The optional excursions are listed on the Princess Lodges website.

Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge activities: http://www.princesslodges.com/mckinley-activities.htm

Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge activities: http://www.princesslodges.com/denali-activities.htm

We just got back Saturday night from a 14-day cruisetour that included both of these lodges, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try & answer them.

Have fun!

Mary Ellen

First of all, hello fellow Georgian. I am not far from you at all. I leave Saturday to start a 13 cruisetour in Fairbanks. We will be arriving in Talkeetna from Denali & would like to stay & see this little town before heading to the lodge. Is this possible? One call to Princess said yes, one said no. Any light you could shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there! You're not very far from me at all...

I assume you're talking about staying at the McKinley Lodge that night, right? You can absolutely stay in town for awhile, and take a later shuttle bus back to the lodge. The busses leave town every hour on the 1/2 hour for the lodge. (They leave the lodge for town every hour on the hour.) You'll get an envelope packet at each lodge, with all of your transfer instructions & times, your room keys, etc., and that envelope also serves as your "ticket" for the transportation. So I think all you'll have to do is show the envelope when you want to board a later bus back to the lodge. When we were in Talkeetna on 8/25, the last bus back to the lodge was leaving town at 7:30pm.

We lucked out by seeing Mt. McKinley/Denali every day we were there! It's usually clouded over. I hope you have the same luck.

Enjoy your tour & cruise!

Mary Ellen

I don't know about all the cruisetours, but the one we chose for 2010 had the Natural History Tour. We upgraded to the Tundra Tour. I think the add on charge was $60pp. We also paid a customization fee to spend the entire last four nights in Denali and skip Fairbanks. The fee was $150. With the 2 for 1 special on cruisetours :), we did not mind paying the extra fees. Now I just have to figure out how to plan the four days in Denali without a vehicle. I am glad that the lodge has a shuttle to the park. It seems as if you want to take the Park shuttle bus deeper into the park, you have to make a reservation? I think I'll send for their pamphlets and maps. This is our third trip to Alaska, but we never made it North of Anchorage.

Did you book a 2 for 1 on a 2010 cruisetour????

we did not mind paying the extra fees. Now I just have to figure out how to plan the four days in Denali without a vehicle. I am glad that the lodge has a shuttle to the park. It seems as if you want to take the Park shuttle bus deeper into the park, you have to make a reservation? I think I'll send for their pamphlets and maps. This is our third trip to Alaska, but we never made it North of Anchorage.

This isn't about sending for pamphlets and maps. As far as I know, the Park Service does not provide this.

You will be far better off, looking at their web site, which is extensive. http://www.nps.gov/dena

With that amount of time, I wouldn't be booking the costly TWT. I see from the Princess website, you can get full refunds. I recommend the shuttle bus to at least Eielson. You could go for 3 days for less than you are paying for the single TWT, which gets you further. :)

But thats a lot of bus travel, and you will need to decide for yourself, if you even want to go in twice?? I have, and it is a certain type who seems to do the multiple days, definately not for many people.

If you are into hiking, look at the Discovery hikes. Also take advantage of the Savage River Shuttle, and ranger programs.

Do your homework.

And yes, you "need" advance reservations for shuttle buses. There "may" be walk up availablity, but you can be way better off, having plans made in advance.

This isn't about sending for pamphlets and maps. As far as I know, the Park Service does not provide this.

You will be far better off, looking at their web site, which is extensive. www.nps.gov/dena

With that amount of time, I wouldn't be booking the costly TWT. I see from the Princess website, you can get full refunds. I recommend the shuttle bus to at least Eielson. You could go for 3 days for less than you are paying for the single TWT, which gets you further. :)

But thats a lot of bus travel, and you will need to decide for yourself, if you even want to go in twice?? I have, and it is a certain type who seems to do the multiple days, definately not for many people.

If you are into hiking, look at the Discovery hikes. Also take advantage of the Savage River Shuttle, and ranger programs.

Do your homework.

And yes, you "need" advance reservations for shuttle buses. There "may" be walk up availablity, but you can be way better off, having plans made in advance.

Thank you so much for all the information. Off to do my homework! :)

With that amount of time, I wouldn't be booking the costly TWT. I see from the Princess website, you can get full refunds. I recommend the shuttle bus to at least Eielson.

BQ, the big thing that made the TWT for us was the camera and video screens. The bus driver had a 100x video camera and he focused on every wildlife sighting and brought it up on the screens. Honestly, almost all of our sightings were of the "dot on the hillside" variety and without the video screen we would have seen almost nothing intelligible. (Of course, at the end of the tour he offered to sell us the DVD of his pictures.)

I don't think the shuttle buses have the camera, do they? Personally I would have been extremely disappointed to spend that whole day bouncing over bumpy roads on an uncomfortable bus and seeing nothing but dots in the distance. That video camera was well worth the cost of the TWT, IMAO.

YMMV.

BQ, the big thing that made the TWT for us was the camera and video screens. The bus driver had a 100x video camera and he focused on every wildlife sighting and brought it up on the screens. Honestly, almost all of our sightings were of the "dot on the hillside" variety and without the video screen we would have seen almost nothing intelligible.

As well as the video system, I like the upgraded seats on the TWT (and the souvenir book is very nice). I sometimes take the shuttle (when I want to get to Eielson or beyond), sometimes the TWT (when I want an easier day).

1. I notice the coach back to Fairbanks doesn't leave until 3ish in the afternoon. Is there a locker room where you can change if you do a morning event and can you still use the jacuzzis?

2. We have always enjoyed our national park horseback rides, even though they are of the "automatic horse" variety. It's just nice to get away from motor vehicle noise and not have to hike a long ways. Any particular recommendations at either lodge?

Thanks again!

I don't find the buses at all uncomfortable. :) I am giving my opinion only, I'm not going out to view stuff on a screen. I take my good binoculars and always see plenty. The shuttle buses have a "different" type of passenger, most willing to be active spotters, etc. I've many times, offered my binoculars to others, and given "directions" for the more obscure wildlife. It can be a significant advantage to get on a ranger activity at Eielson, or get off anywhere along the Park Road and walk. The savings are significant with the shuttle buses.

I haven't been on a TWT in years, so with the "white flag" up, I'm only offering a different perspective for some real Alaska that other's may want to consider.

No, no - maybe I should have phrased it as "not as uncomfortable". Comfy they are not :)

ROFL! Exactly what I was about to say! The shuttles looked to me pretty much like the bus you rode to school in Jr. High. The TWT buses are a bit better than that but definitely not up to the level of the Explorer coaches!!

I haven't been on a TWT in years, so with the "white flag" up, I'm only offering a different perspective for some real Alaska that other's may want to consider.

As am I. I have no reason to tell people not to take the shuttle, just providing information about how I saw it.

I like to see the "real" Alaska, or the "real" Turkey, or the "real" New Zealand, or any other place I may cruise to, from a nice comfortable seat in a nice comfortable vehicle. That is my road, and others take other roads. As with any post on this board, YMMV!

Sure did :)!

What dates are you going and what ship? We never did quite catch up with each other in the Baltics. Were you on the canal cruise Viktoria arranged? We're booked on the south-bound Coral on July 3rd with our land tour portion first 2 days Fairbanks and 2 days Denali. Was that a past passenger deal you received? There wasn't anything on my site. I probably booked too soon. :(

What dates are you going and what ship? We never did quite catch up with each other in the Baltics. Were you on the canal cruise Viktoria arranged? We're booked on the south-bound Coral on July 3rd with our land tour portion first 2 days Fairbanks and 2 days Denali. Was that a past passenger deal you received? There wasn't anything on my site. I probably booked too soon. :(

We're going on the Coral also, but on the 24th. We took the Coral on a Panama Canal cruise and we really liked the ship. Now it's even better. Yes, we were on the canal cruise. What a great tour and we had a great guide.

I have no idea why Princess picked us for the 2 for 1 cruisetour, maybe it was a mass mailing. Anyway, I'm glad they did. We really didn't have anything in particular in mind and weren't going to look for anything until late this year. My only requirement was that at least one vacation be during July or August and that it be somewhere cooler than Florida in the summer!

Archived