snorkeling & glasses

Mooloo

:) I wear reading and distance glasses 99% of the time but I was fine

without them just using my snokel mask. It was nothig fancy , in fact, I bought it at TJ Maxx -- I think the masks and water actually have a magnification factor -- at least that's how it seemed to me. They do

have perscription snokel masks available but I have no idea of cost or

where to find them. Sorry.:(

The water will make things seem larger and closer so it depends on you're prescription. If you are very nearsighted as I am, the prescription mask is a must. Don't know if you can rent prescription masks on any of the islands. Masks were anywhere from 59.00 up then the lenses were around 30.00 each.

Mooloo, are you wearing readers or are you nearsighted (can't function without glasses)? If you wear readers, then don't worry about it. If you can't function without glasses, then you will need to purchase a perscription mask. Check with a local dive shop on how to go about doing that.

The reason you can't wear glasses with the mask is that the mask would flood. The arms of your glasses would affect the seal of the mask, and that's a bad thing.

Lisa

You can also buy masks with vision correction at some sporting goods stores fairly inexpensively. Before my son started wearing contact lenses, we bought a mask at a Sports Authority that helped him tremendously. They came in Mild, Moderate, and Strong, so there's not an exact prescription, but if it gets you close, underwater they'll be even better.

Archived