Silversea Insurance

dwelsh

When I was younger, arrogantly I never thought about travel insurance. Now I won't go without it.

I agree. When we are young we think we are invincible.

Of course when we were younger we didn't travel to some of the exotic places we do today. And that is something we think about each time we travel. (eg., implication of something happening in some of these remote places).

Keith

I purchased the SS resurance program for my up comming cruise on OCT 3rd. It was about 350 US for just me on a solo booking. It covers me in the event I need to cancel up unitl the day of sailing and transfers my money to any future booking.

I did not purchase the other insurance offered, because I booked at about 90 days out the only thing that might prevent me from going was work.

I do not purchase supplemental insurance, although Keith does make good points. I am only 33 years old, and his comments have given me pause. thanks keith.

I will look into covering part of my cruises in the future.

Finally, let's take your example with my insurance. If I had $70,000 in medical claims my travel insurance policy would have covered it all. If I filed with BlueCross, I would have paid a dedutable and then it my plan as many others would not have covered 100% of the items even if it covered all out of the USA medical costs. But it does not cover many of these costs outside the USA. Then add increased premiums and possibly having my policy cancelled.

If you don't agree with this that's fine. It works for me.

Finally, I really don't want to go back and forth on this. Each person needs to make an informed decision.

So, if you have another point of view, great. That certainly won't change my mind for the long list of reasons I've already provided.

Keith

I have United and will have Blue Cross next year. I wanted to bring up the issue of Primary vs Secondary because it is not a black and white answer that Primary is always better. Also, there are only two policies I have found that cover pre-existing that can be paid at final payment. That may be important for those who plan a cruise a year plus in advance and don't want to pay for insurance that far in advance in case they cancel. It is not another point of view but additional information for those reading that Primary is ALWAYS best - that may not be the case for some.

I haver also purchsed through insuremytrip but more recently used squaremouth.com (used by a lot of people on CC) because they gave me better pricing and also sent confirmation via pdf with our names and policy number printed, as well the email confirmation direct from the insurer.

Also, regarding insurance increasing your costs if you put in a claim, well Senator Kennedy made sure that won't happen with one of his bills, if you work for a company or switch jobs. They can't not cover a pre-existing condition or increase your group costs.

For the person who asked the very good question regarding claims, well just fyi we filed a claim with CSA Luxe and it was a simple one or 2 page form AND check cut within 24 hours after I provided the denial from my Primary. Both could be faxed or emailed by pdf - very easy. Also, if you do not have insurance that covers you outside of Network Secondary automatically becomes Primary.

I have United and will have Blue Cross next year. I wanted to bring up the issue of Primary vs secondary because it is not a black and white situation that Primary is always better. Also, there are only two policies I have found that cover pre-existing that can be paid at final payment. That may be important for those who plan a cruise a year plus in advance and don't want to pay for insurance that far in advance in case they cancel. It is not another point of view. I am providing imformation for those reading that Primare is always best.

I have also purchased through insuremytrip but more recently used squaremouth.com (used by alot of people on CC) because they gave me better pricing and also sent confirmation via pdf with our names and policy number printed, as well the email confirmation direct from the insurer.

Also, regarding insurance increasing your costs if you put in a claim, well Senator Kennedy made sure that won't happen with one of his bills, if you work for a company or switch jobs. They can't not cover a pre-existing condition or increase your group costs.

For the person who asked the very good question regarding claims, well just fyi we filed a claim with CSa Luxe and it was a simple one or 2 page form AND check cut within 24 hours after I provided the denial from my Primary. Bothy could be faxed or emailed by pdf - very easy. Also, if you do not have insurance that covers you outside of Network Secondary automatically becomes Primary.

Jade,

I am retired. I retired young. My insurance can be dumped at any point and can go up just like an automobiile or homeowners policy if I have a number of claims. It has already gone up more than I would prefer based on age and reasonable claims.

I want another company to act as primary so I don't waste time submitting bills to my health care company to have them either rejected or partially paid and then have to go through the process again when I can just send it one time to the private travel insurance company and get 100% of it paid. With the coverage amounts I can get, let's hope that I would not exceed them even in a catastropic situation. Remember the numbers I quoted earlier. And I don't want to effect the premiums of my regular insurance company.

I am very happy with the policies I have gotten with Travelex. The claims have been processed very quickly and all bills were paid 100%. They have very good customer service.

I travel quite a bit including two full world cruises in 2007 and 2008 and another one next year. I travel to remote places and places that are not remote. It is important to me to have good insurance given where we travel and the costs that could be incurred for things such as evacuation or getting us home.

I used insurmytrip.com along with a couple of other search engines to do the up front research. I do reasearch before I purchase insurance each and every time.

But, once I decide which company I will go with, I book directly with that company either on the phone or on the internet.

When you say a lot of people purchase through squarmouth I am not sure how you have figured that out. I read many of the thread often. I would say when the question on insurance comes up that abournd 90%+ mention insuremytrip.com as providing a nice comparison. Very few if any mention squaremouth. Regardless, I would have no idea how many people purchase through either one of these companies vs directly with the private companies or directly with the cruise line. So, to make a statement that lots of people purchase through one of these doesn't seem very logical to me.

After doing the research each time over the last few years I have gone with travelexinsurance.

It provides what I am looking for.

Others might have something that works better for them.

There are many good companies out there.

I don't want to keep going back and forth on this.

I think we have provided sufficient information to make people think and to ask more questions than they might have before.

In the end, there is not one product that fits all. Each person needs to consider a variety of factors.

Let's end this by saying we agree to disagree when it comes to primary and secondary inusurers.

Keith

I think we have provided sufficient information to make people think and to ask more questions than they might have before.

In the end, there is not one product that fits all. Each person needs to consider a variety of factors.

Let's end this by saying we agree to disagree when it comes to primary and secondary inusurers.

Keith

Keith,

OK.

When you say a lot of people purchase through squarmouth I am not sure how you have figured that out. I read many of the thread often.

Keith

I never said a lot of people purchase through Squaremouth. I said people use them, which could mean for research. I found out about them because they were recommended on CC, perhaps not on the SilverSeas boards. For whatever reason I have gotten better pricing by purchasing through them and I did call insuremy trip which could not match them for my Antarctic trip (And I have no idea why as the pricing should be the same). So I am just pointing that out to others. The other link I posted above (trip insurance store) has some interesting articles and that link was provided on CC as well.

Archived